The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Wow, that is a really horrible comparison and you should feel bad about posting it.
No, no I won't. He constantly uses the phrase "tools of the trade" when stating why they should get given to reviewers for free (and I don't have a problem with the actual practice, for any industry) because if they had to go out and buy systems and games to do their job they'd end up broke. I can guarantee that any builder, tradesman, etc spends much more in a year on tools to earn an income than any reviewer will but I doubt you'll see any claiming they should get them free....tax deductible yes, but not free.

Now which part of the comparison is actually horrible?

khalid

Unelected Mod
Every fucking part of it. The job of a plumber and the job of a game reviewer are completely different in pretty much every way. Just because he used a "tools of the trade" like a plumber might use, the "tools" that they use are also completely different. Not just different, but not even remotely comparable.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
No, no I won't. He constantly uses the phrase "tools of the trade" when stating why they should get given to reviewers for free (and I don't have a problem with the actual practice, for any industry) because if they had to go out and buy systems and games to do their job they'd end up broke. I can guarantee that any builder, tradesman, etc spends much more in a year on tools to earn an income than any reviewer will but I doubt you'll see any claiming they should get them free....tax deductible yes, but not free.

The part where one thing is a tool used to do your work and the other is a product you generate revenue(hopefully) by reviewing. They aren't the same thing. You COULD argue the system itself was a "tool of the trade", but let's be practical, it's still simpler for the manufacturer to provide the system than to make sure that a reviewer has it before furnishing their copy for review.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
For one, a plumber directly charges the end user x amount of money based off of expertise & reputation.

Where as a reviewer gives reviews away FOR FREE just hoping that someone will click on the link the review and they will generate a little add revenue in the process.

Completely different animals.

Sean_sl

shitlord
My plans for this Friday:

tGEQk1K.jpg

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I had my 3ds zelda pre-ordered and I told myself...I alreayd have an XL..I don't need that....it hurt. But i used that pre-order money to pay off my PS4 and CoD ghosts hardened edition. So I'll just get the game.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Playing more AC4:seantsc - Twitch

Btw, I don't have the chat thing up when I play so if you have comments can post them here.
Watching you now.

What is the resolution? It is very blurry, like I am watching something from the Wii. Not sure if that is on my end or a limitation on the streaming abilities of the PS4? Can it stream at 1080p? I guess it might be an issue with upload speeds as well? I have fast download, but very slow upload. Like 30mbs down but 1 up.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Holy shit. I'm sure i'll get negged for reselling, but I listed the four extra PS4s I got from Newegg at $565.00 each on Ebay. Literally sold all four within five minutes. Really regretting not keeping the other 25 I had on Pre-order lol.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Should have waited a month for the desperate xmas frenzy.
I dunno. Definitely could go either way. As it stands I've pretty much got my personal PS4 for free after Ebay and Paypal fees. I imagine that production will outpace demand pretty fast given the astounding amount of consoles they had available for this launch which is why I canceled the majority of my pre-orders in the first place. Who knows though, I definitely was wrong to do that, so maybe I'll be wrong about this as well.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Sean, I'm astounded at how fast you can pick up collectibles and complete objectives at the same time. It's seamless. You're like a robot.

Szlia

For one, a plumber directly charges the end user x amount of money based off of expertise & reputation.

Where as a reviewer gives reviews away FOR FREE just hoping that someone will click on the link the review and they will generate a little add revenue in the process.

Completely different animals.
That is the business model for the lone blogger, but certainly not the one for most reviewers. The freelancer will sell his pieces to different publications, the stringer will usually work with a single publication but be paid on a per character basis. I suspect the guys at The Escapist, Kotaku, etc have a set salary.

I am not saying that the comparison with the plumber is a good one though. An aspect that has been notably forgotten so far is that, to do his job, a reviewer needs to have the products before their street date (and in the case of paper magazines, a long time before), so they cannot buy them in stores. You could argue that publishers could bill the reviewers for the review copies they send them, but that would be a bit odd and would go against their interest as they want their product to be reviewed.

Note that this is not specific to video games at all. I am not sure how it goes when it comes to electronics or cars, but movies, music, literature, comics, DVDs and even performance arts work the same way. The only exception I can think of is reviewers for restaurants, because how well the consumer is treated is part of the review.

As for the optimism in previews, I think it's a multi-faceted problem. Firstly, the reviewer is confronted with a work in progress, so he has to give the benefit of the doubt to the dev' (previews often note the existence of problems that should 'hopefully be fixed before launch') and secondly, who would want to read pessimistic previews? If a title is obviously shaping up to be a total train wreck, the reviewer has to say it, but the overall tone of a preview section should be optimistic (something that can be done without lies and manipulation, but simply by picking the titles the reviewers are optimistic about). Another aspect is that the average reviewer is usually more jaded about games than the average reader (when I read the Kotaku review for Killzone and the guy is like 'we saw this and that it a dozen fps before' he forgets to mention that it can still be pretty fresh for people who have not played this dozen of fps before).

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I don't think I've read a games review site in ages.

I get my opinion on whether or not a game is good from this board.

Heckler_sl

shitlord
To the people who have put significant time into their consoles already, how are your controllers doing? Especially the thumb sticks, any credence to the flaking issues I've been seeing?