The Big Short: Pitt, Bale, Carrell do the subprime crisis

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Neat. Really enjoyed the book, but I don't recall it having an actual functional narrative that would work in movie form, so it'll be interesting to see how they piece one together.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The book had plenty of narrative to draw from. They're clearly just going to have them "tie together" rather then independently come to similar conclusions as they did in real life. The dude Bale is playing is the aspy Doctor who just figured it all out by reading some cheap subscription site for market information.

Should be good though! Fascinating topic.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I always really enjoy movies that Carrell is in where he's serious. I am liking the cast, I'll end up watching it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Even bigger than Carrell in a serious role, this is Adam McKay's first big serious movie.

It's a hell of a subject to jump onto from Anchorman and Talladega Nights too. Kinda weird that Will Ferrell wasn't in the cast, maybe he'll do a cameo as dubya or something.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, go watch some young Redford movies. He's almost a clone. Was cute when they were together in Spy Game.

5Qep8NR.jpg

RWSTW9G.jpg

YWqBH94.jpg

khorum

Murder Apologist
Was that the one with Paul Giamatti as Ben Bernanke? Yeah that was pretty good.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I haven't read the book, but I half expect the movie to prove Keynes' quip, "the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh shit, thats the one with spock right? Yeah that was more or less a fictionalized take on this.

Szlia

When I saw Margin Call in theater I was like "yeah that's pretty good, and there is this great scene about building a bridge" and a few weeks back I landed on it on TV and I got glued to it. Good scene after good scene after good scene. I guess it was easier to appreciate the movie the second time around because I knew what it was and what it was not, while the first time you see it through the filter of your expectations and kinda hope it would be an economic thriller when it's more like a sociological study and that sentence is really running long isn't it?

All Is Lost (with the old Brad Pitt
wink.png
) and A Most Violent Year from the same director, J. C. Chandor are also very good.