The Big Short: Pitt, Bale, Carrell do the subprime crisis

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Houses are generally worth more now than they were before the crash. So...

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Good movie. Expected more being from McKay and everyone's glowing reviews here. Definitely helped explain the entire housing bubble issue and what went wrong and why. Great acting performances by everyone, though. Way too fucking long.

7.5/10
From Anchorman to Big Short.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Houses are generally worth more now than they were before the crash. So...
In some markets, and of course you can expect them to raise in value to a certain extent.... 7 years later, due to inflation, etc. You're not arguing that the market was severely over-inflated before the crash are you?

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure what the point you were making was in reference to.

khorum

Murder Apologist
And at least with a bad mortgage you can recuperate some of the money after foreclosing/short selling. Do they garnish wages on unpaid student loans?
On defaults yeah. They can pursue garnishment and liens. I think some states prohibit them now tho.

khorum

Murder Apologist
In some markets, and of course you can expect them to raise in value to a certain extent.... 7 years later, due to inflation, etc. You're not arguing that the market was severely over-inflated before the crash are you?

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure what the point you were making was in reference to.
He's saying that housing prices today can be higher than their overinflated BUBBLE prices before the crash.

It's true----but much worse than that is this: googleBespoke Tranche Opportunity.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hrmmm, seems like very few people were talking about that before this movie released. And most of the ones who were, spoke of it favorably. It's hard to understand exactly what the banks are selling and who they are selling it to there. Is this something investment banks are engaging in with each other, like the sale of subprime loans from one institution to another without any oversight, or is this something banks are selling directly to consumers like you and I? Or both?

Xevy

Log Wizard
Father was at CES this week and was explaining to me that a client picked out a restaurant to eat at and he said it was a very expensive Japanese place. It was Nobu. I laughed inside, a lot.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
On defaults yeah. They can pursue garnishment and liens. I think some states prohibit them now tho.
Garnishment on federal debt authorized by federal law supersedes state law forbidding garnishment of wages. ED will put liens on property if they sue you through DoJ.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Compensating, but with great dignity. The bit with the hungry hungry hippos was lawsome. Respect. Cad wishes he was on the Law Hawk's level.

khorum

Murder Apologist
WOOT also nominated for Best Picture!

If Mad Max Doesn't win, I wouldn't mind if this does.