The big thread of game industry fuck ups

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
what the fuck. Someone who plays tomb raider please tell me that isn't an essential item to making pistols accurate.
It was a pre-order DLC that basically amounted to a cheat code to allow you to access a weapon mod earlier than normal. There's a pistol silencer one too; that one doesn't unlock normally until about 3/4 of the way through the game.

gutted gameplay for casuals (Dead Space 3)
You know, specifically on the topic of horror/thrill properties.

The movie industry has a formula in place to produce cheap horror films. The book industry shits out thriller and horror themed books.
These are important revenue generators. Most are uber cheap (REC, Paranormal Activity) ; the "big budget" horror movies like Mama cost 15 millions. They do this by keeping tightly focused on the goal (scares, making people squirm in their seats). They don't have action scenes set all around the world, baysplosions, giant robots and end-of-the-world scenarios.

Themainstreamgames industry is COMPLETELY UNABLE to produce horror games without spending bazzilion dollars, teams of hundreds, diverging into massive set pieces, etc. The only ones capable of doing so are the very small teams working on games like Amnesia. Mainstream companies always end up making something closer to COD and wonder WHYYYY is it so expensive to make horror games. So muchfail.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Do you guys remember this game that was hyped up and came out terrible?

Messiah_Coverart.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah_(video_game)

Messiah_Coverart.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Definitely remember Messiah. I sold video games/pc software from 1995-2002, so I saw all sorts of debacles in the gaming industry come and go. One of the bigger ones was Star Wars Rebellion launching the same day as StarCraft
Star_wars_rebellion_box.png

The game was fairly buggy at launch, and was probably a little too ambitious for the time, and just completely disappeared under the tidal wave of awesomeness that was Starcraft

Other horrible launches of that time period included:

Sega Saturn(was in 1 or 2 stores exclusively for the first 6 months, had virtually no retail support)
Virtual Boy (VR headset that you couldn't wear on your head)
Falcon 4.0(buggy as hell at launch with an instruction manual the size of a phonebook(not kidding))
Daikatana(John Romero sucks when he doesn't have John Carmack helping him)
Prey(got hyped up then delayed for about a decade)
3DFX(basically set the standard in early 3d graphics, then totally sh*t the bed and basically went bankrupt within a couple years)

I'll think of some more...

Star_wars_rebellion_box.png

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Also lol @ the breakdown of game sales that doesn't include digital downloads.
What do you mean, lol. Show meanythingthat suggests digital downloads of retail disc games matter. The few times we've seen it are weird exceptions like XCOM (heavy PC background), Minecraft (no disc version), and Fire Emblem (supply issues).

Instead, no one is putting out any sort of press releases saying "With digital downloads, our sales have grown 20%!". No one. No one is even making the data public, even to counteract retail physical sales drops of 20% or more. Nothing involved suggests a healthy situation.

The closest I've seen is EA in 2012 or so putting out a mention that with digital sales, they were slightly above 2007.
Except #1) EA had no Wii sales bubble to burst, and 2007 predates most Rock Band sales, meaning all their digital stuff has,at best, equaled out their losses in traditional video game sales.
#2) That digital sales counts everything digital - downloads, Facebook games, mobile games, DLC, premium services. EVERYTHING TOGETHER only counters their losses in traditional video game sales - digital downloads themselves can only be a fraction of that, meaning overall sales are still down significantly.

Yes, sales on Steam, Origin, etc. do account for a lot of copies. But that's not necessarily the same thing as a lot of net dollars, given the deep (and quick) discounts they get on Steam and the cut Steam takes. Publishers could easily be selling 10-20% more copies of games now with digital download services but still be taking in less money than before, even without the cost of printing discs, distribution, etc.

As to the why:
1) Of course its smart phones. Most of the drop of retail product has been in the handheld sector.
And the kicker? The #1 selling third party 3DS game is... an expensive port of Angry Birds. Nothing better illustrates that the handheld market is being devoured by phones.

2) The industry continues to morph into ~18 disc-based retail megafranchises a year, a mid-tier of $20 XBLA games, and a sea of $1 Facebook/iPhone games. Except the budgets on those megafranchises continue to rise, the release dates get more strict (both for stock reporting and retail sales purposes), and the differentiation allowed gets less and less. In essence they become bigger and bigger bets, with a miss injuring or even killing a publisher (or at least its board).

Gaming isn't dying. It is continuing to morph into something like the music industry, where a store devoted to selling just music seems archaic, where technology allows more and more projects to be put out. Whether more than a handful of people can be successful - or even profitable - with that level of competition remains to be seen.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
While EA is most definitely the devil for basically ending the glory days of Bullfrog, Origin, Maxis, and Westwood, they were not responsible for Microprose. That was the short-lived company Spectrum Holobyte(I think eventually bought by Atari long after microprose was gone and all the top developers had left to for Firaxis)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Luclin was ok...wasn't that the expansion that brought about AA skills (which were awesome)

GoD is when my whole guild quit playing EQ. Sucked balls.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Luclin definitely had problems, but GoD was a disaster for end-game guilds at release. It's the clear "winner" for this thread.

Haka

N00b
Luclin wasn't even finished when it was released. Seems like that's the norm now though for mmo's

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Short-lived was referring to Spectrum Holobyte, the company that bought Microprose

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I'm very confused by the microprose stuff. Some day I'll read it all and make sense of it. Related, there was an original x-com ufo defense talk at gdc. I think it was broadcast live but I missed it.

Xasten_sl

shitlord
One of the bigger ones was Star Wars Rebellion launching the same day as StarCraft

The game was fairly buggy at launch, and was probably a little too ambitious for the time, and just completely disappeared under the tidal wave of awesomeness that was Starcraft.
I wanted to love Rebellion. I wanted to love it so badly, but it just had too many problems.

I never heard about it until after it released, the online play was poorly thought out, the AI was shitty, and the combat system was just a fighter zerg. It was, without a doubt, the buggiest thing I had ever played (and this is coming from the guy who played Temple of Elemental Evil 5+ times BEFORE the Circle of 8 mod). After installing, it messed up my drivers so badly that I had to take the comp to a repair shop (it was 1998 give me a break, I barely knew what a driver was). After two weeks we finally got it working, and I had to save my game every 5 minutes because it liked to crash harder than Ryan Dunn.

Installed Starcraft when I got it and never looked back.