The big thread of game industry fuck ups

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Saying "The audience is ready" is wrong and stupid in its own right, but the following statement is much worse: "The answer lies in the question - as soon as players don't have to worry, they can only take into account the benefits that those services bring.". That statement reads like some kind of moronic baffling logic that Ayn Rand would spend a weekend cooking up for one of her progressive characters to state. It's as if Yannis Mallet thinks hatred toward always-connected is based on fear of the unknown and change rather than a well substantiated distaste for all the shit that goes along with always-connected.

Uplay is so awesome I can't even start Far Cry 3 without having it in offline mode. If I was aware that it needed that shit I wouldn't have bought it from a Steam sale.

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
I have to say, lately I have been having a ton more fun with indie games than I have in a long time with any AAA title save for Bioshock. This bullshit with always online DRM or any sort of MUST BE ONLINE TO PLAY is getting out of hand.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I remember buying Sierra's Outpost game with high expectations given the rave reviews that the magazines had given it only to be so disappointed at the piece of shit incomplete game that was delivered.

rrr_img_20599.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outpost_(video_game)
Fuck you, I'd managed to completely purge the memory of that game from my mind. I had been so pumped for it, it sounded fucking amazing. Anyone who thinks that today's games are worse than they were back in the day in terms of being incomplete or buggy need to keep shit like Outpost in mind. That shit's been going on since video games first came out.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
This game could have been SO FUCKING GOOD. But developer fuck ups and the rampant cheating just fucked it. Even free, it's STILL fucked.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone who thinks that today's games are worse than they were back in the day in terms of being incomplete or buggy need to keep shit like Outpost in mind. That shit's been going on since video games first came out.
People who bitch about buggy games and bad launches today, have no idea what PC gaming was like 15-20+ years ago. Try buying a game that flat-out wouldn't run with certain hardware(that you happened to have) and having to wait months for them to mail you a patch on a disk to be able to play it. I don't remember which game it was(I want to say it was a flight sim of some sort from the late 80s), but I remember sitting on the phone with tech support for hours, over several days as they had me customizing autoexec.bat and config.sys files on my boot disk to try to get the game to work, before realizing that it was a hardware incompatibility issue. They got my name and address to mail me a patch as soon as it was available, and it took like 6 goddamn months. I had already long since returned the game to Babbage's by that point.

Good times!

edit - finally remembered. It was Harrier Jump Jet from Microprose. Never did get to play it(and it was 1992, I was off a bit with the date)
Harrier_Jump_Jet_Coverart.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
joeboo_sl said:
People who bitch about buggy games and bad launches today, have no idea what PC gaming was like 15-20+ years ago. Try buying a game that flat-out wouldn't run with certain hardware(that you happened to have) and having to wait months for them to mail you a patch on a disk to be able to play it.
heh yeah, I remember when I was like 10 or 12 I was a HUGE fan of the various Impressions business simulators, and one in particular called Detroit. You built a car manufacturing company. Problem was, the stupid fucking game had a bug where after a couple of years all of the financial data in the game went bonkers. I remember going to the store I bought it at, London Drugs, every couple weeks to ask the guy in the computer section if a patch disk had come in yet. After a couple months they were good enough to give me a full refund of the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit...nd_limitations

The other thing I was thinking about with Outpost was how bad the gaming press has ALWAYS been. That's nothing new either. PC Gamer gave the game a 93% and said it was a "must have." How the fuck was that possible? The game was unplayable for all intents and purposes, even if they were playing beta versions. They were bought.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Saying "The audience is ready" is wrong and stupid in its own right, but the following statement is much worse: "The answer lies in the question - as soon as players don't have to worry, they can only take into account the benefits that those services bring.". That statement reads like some kind of moronic baffling logic that Ayn Rand would spend a weekend cooking up for one of her progressive characters to state. It's as if Yannis Mallet thinks hatred toward always-connected is based on fear of the unknown and change rather than a well substantiated distaste for all the shit that goes along with always-connected.
Recently area's in my country(australia) didn't have the net for at least 6 weeks. If I move houses and I already have an internet account it still takes me MINIMUM 2 weeks to get the internet connected. Seriously it's like they live in a fucken bubble and there aren't other countries that buy their games. There is NO rational reason not to have the option to choose always online or offline modes. Fuck it's frustrating even talking about it.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Is it too early to include the Wii U in this thread?

Q4oylxQ.png

To quote Nintendo's CEO -

"I do not intend to declare how many Wii we will be selling today, but Wii will be a failure if it cannot sell far more than GameCube did. In fact, we shouldn't continue this business if our only target is to outsell GameCube. Naturally, we are making efforts so that Wii will show a far greater result than GameCube."
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/kessan/060607qa_e/

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yikes, WiiU is the only "next gen" system on the market right now, and barely has 1 million units sold in it's first 5 months. Go ahead and dig its grave now. It needed a massive lead over Ps4 and 720 before they launched. At this rate they'll be in the #3 spot the week after those consoles hit the market.

Sean_sl

shitlord
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...g-closure.aspx

[Update] EA just issued the following statement:

"In recent weeks, EA has aligned all elements of its organizational structure behind priorities in new technologies and mobile. This has led to some difficult decisions to reduce the workforce in some locations. We are extremely grateful for the contributions made by each of our employees - those that are leaving EA will be missed by their colleagues and friends.

"These are hard but essential changes as we focus on delivering great games and showing players around the world why to spend their time with us."

EA Partners isn't the only division affected by this latest round of layoffs and restructuring. The company has also reportedly closed PopCap Vancouver and Quicklime Games, a studio comprised of former EA Black Box employees that developed the PC title Need For Speed: World.

Reached for comment, a PopCap representative referred us to EA corporate communications, who denied to comment and referred us to the statement above.

We'll continue to update this story as we hear more details.

[Original Story]

Game Informer has received word from multiple anonymous sources close to the matter that the EA Partners label will soon be shut down. This program was EA's mechanism for providing contract-based publishing services for independent developers. This move comes during a period that has seen the departure of CEO John Riccitiello, layoffs around the world in the publisher's mobile and social divisions, and the abandonment of relatively new Facebook titles from a studio that was acquired for $300 million.

In our August 2009 issue, we detailed the genesis of EA's publishing arm, which offered services to a number of independent developers. A variety of studios took advantage of EA's prowess to bring their games to market, including Crytek (Crysis 1-3), Starbreeze (Syndicate), Double Fine (Br?tal Legend), and Epic Games (Bulletstorm). One of the most visible was 38 Studios' Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, which was the centerpoint of an EA press event on its release day. Just five months later, the truth about that studio was revealed. Whether EA was owed money by Curt Schilling's studio, and if so, how much, remains unknown. The publisher refused to disclose details of the arrangement.

EA founded the consulting business with the leadership of Tom Frisina, co-founder of Accolade and Three-Sixty, in 1997. The publishing arm continued to grow, and it was the genesis of EA's relationship with Battlefield developer DICE (which they have since acquired outright). In 2007, EA was the publishing partner for a number of major successes, including Harmonix's Rock Band, Valve's The Orange Box, and Crytek's Crysis.

At the time our story was published in 2009, EA's Partners program was a lean operation of 50 employees. The operation thrived on low overhead and an ability to nimbly move from one project to the next without permanent development staff. It's unclear how an arm of the business that capitalizes on EA's core publishing competencies and relationships could be deemed a drain on resources.

The two biggest titles anticipated under the label are Respawn's first game and Insomniac's Fuse. According to sources, neither will be affected by this. EA's earnings call for fiscal year 2013 is scheduled for May 7, at which point we expect more information on the publisher's strategy.

We have reached out to EA for comment.