The Boys

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
As far as SJW shit goes, this show is confusing. On one hand, the whole nazi shit, on the other, the dunking on fag shit in the media. So who knows.

Stormfront still the true hero though.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dickguy is way better than love sausage lol.

But anyway. Should probably have spoilered that.

Does that mean Dickguy joins the Boys???!!!! And he is a communist? lol

Naw it was just an homage to the comics.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
As far as SJW shit goes, this show is confusing. On one hand, the whole nazi shit, on the other, the dunking on fag shit in the media. So who knows.

Stormfront still the true hero though.

The nazi angle is not SJW or confusing. You're just conflating that with idiots in the real world calling everyone they don't agree with a "literal nazi". They're the ones confused about nazis. This show is taking a perfectly reasonable approach in drawing nazi parallels. What is going on with the supes in The Boys is actually very close to what nazi scientists were attempting to do and would have done had they been able to create something like compound V.

And that, in my opinion, is kind of the point. It's a "Hey, dumbass... the guy who puts on a suit and tie and enjoys the fruits of his labor working his corporate gig at Pfizer isn't a fucking nazi. You just don't like him because he's affluent and you're lazy and stupid. THIS is what a nazi would look like."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Vought has the resources and clout to allow the human testing go on. Like Velk said, their interests both align at the moment: Make a compound-V that can be used on adults safely. Although there has to be more to it then that?

I'm guessing Stormfront was an adult when the compound was introduced...she was born in 1919, so she was presumably in her 20s when she got married to Vought. It seems odd he would test it on his wife considering he was apparently high ranking in a regime that literally had millions of potential test subjects in the camps, that would imply he felt confident that the formula was stable enough to use on adults. Edgar also mentioned that Vought started working for the US and helped create heroes like Solider Boy, who fought in WW2. That means he defected to the US before the war ended. So we can draw some possible conclusions:

1) Compound V in adults was always a crap shoot: Stormfront and Solider Boy and other WW2 heroes just got lucky, they could have just as easily "exploded" if Lamplighter is to be believed
2) There is a major side effect in Compound V administered to adults, or major limitations (or both)
3) Stormfront maybe got the 'Steve Rogers' mix: It was considered "perfect" but somehow the exact formula was lost or it was a fluke they couldn't recreate, so they've been trying to recreate that mix ever since
4) Compound V in adults is only a risk if the power is down to RNG. Maybe it manifests poorly in adults and can create deadly mutations or whatever, whereas babies don't have the same issue. So perhaps the goal is to basically make specific power serums that grant a specific ability or feature, which they previously were unable to nail down, to remove the risk of getting an undesirable, or fatal, trait.

Stormfront also had a kid, but the presumably her power didn't pass on (since her daughter aged), which suggests that she either had the child before receiving the compound, or passing of powers to offspring isn't guaranteed (which may explain why Vought pulled out all the stops to create a fake town for Homelander's kid).

What if stormfront was the first and only natural supe, and they derived V from her blood?

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
They didn't drink any kool-aid. If superheroes actually existed it's almost certain a large portion of them would be power addled sociopaths. The nazi angle is an easy way to get the point across in a way that everyone can easily understand.

Particularly if they are super overpowered like in the Boys. They would be targeted and killed if they weren't invincible.

The part I don't understand is why homelander bothers to follow Vought at all. He doesn't seem to use or need any property, so I don't know what their money or their influence does for him. He doesn't need protection from anything.

He could make way way more money just helping with odd construction projects that would be impossible without his help. e.g. I'll launch satellites or space stations for 25% of your launch cost, hit me up.

It's only his pure narcissism that makes him want to be liked that keeps him in line, I think. He's terrified they won't like him. When he doesn't give a shit anymore....

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Yep. And the show is leading us to the point where Homelander doesn't give a shit anymore. Being led down that path systematically by Stormfront, the Nazi.

Homelander is the stereotypical insecure alpha with a Messiah complex. Which makes him easy to manipulate. But hes unstable enough that it's still interesting for us as the audience to see how it all shakes out.

His character is a compelling loose cannon. There is precedent, even only this far into the show, for a believable meltdown. That's why his mass execution fantasy scene worked in the last episode. It was believable even if it just turned out to be a daydream... for now. In contrast Daenarys going full psycho after she had won at the very end of GoT was not. Because it was sudden, lazy writing.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea for a second there during the lasering the crowd scene I started processing the ramifications of what he has just done, exactly like the expression on his face after he had done it. I thought it was real for a moment, but then shook my head when it went back to real life. (did you see how he ratcheted up the intensity on his beam? that shit was like 2 feet thick and at least 100 feet long at one point when he swept the crowd. It did fucking aoe damage)

I agree with the whole why is Homelander beholden to Vought thing, but its basically for the sake of the show, as not many people would be interested in watching the Super Hero Mega project dude build stuff. They have already tried to explore the whole Homelander going at it alone thing when he stood up to Edgar. He got back in line for whatever reason, but eventually I do think we see him realize his true potential and does whatever he wants, all he has to do is drop his emotional baggage.

I dont see how Noir could kill him honestly. Yea he is durable as fuck, but all Homelander has to do is hover and fire and its lolgg.

Caliane

Homelander is emotionally a 14yr old, looking for approval from a mom/dad/anyone. test tube baby with no real parents. Vought is his parents.

obvs show Stormfront is radically different. comic version, was not even part of the 7. Died like a bitch, as noted above. was in a second team, Payback. he defected from nazi to join the US. Was the DNA source for homelander, etc.

what I think here...
We probably end up generally going towards the comic finale, still. Despite being so radically different. I think the end goal for Homelander is still on target.
Homelander gets fed up with the US government, and stages a Superhuman Coup, to install himself as president. The US military basically just blows 99% of the supes out of the sky with rockets. A select few require special attention. And of course Noir, Butcher and Homelander square off.
This is still in line I think. However, I suspect Homelander is going to reject Stormfront. pretty sure this is going to be , fuck her right there... but then next time we see him, hes going to go back to Maeve or Vought, and be like, "holy shit this bitch is crazy. this shit is ruining ALL my plans." Hell, he might even go to Butcher with it. This will help bring Homelander back into human being territory.

alternative, 14yr old emotional adult being groomed into radicalization story? pretty woke.. but retarded..

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thats the point I was trying to make.

The main obvious problem is Stormfront is trying to have Homelander fulfil HER vision. Its not HIS vision, which is what is fundamentally wrong. He is going to do what he wants, no matter what. Either way it could have been worse. At least this last episode was better than the last couple. We finally got to see what was going in with the CIA ladys kids being killed etc. Plus Dickguy. Lamplighter was fun. Hopefully next couple episodes go out with a bang.

The Boys are going to take V, it was in trailers

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It would have been better if it went the "supremacy" route without the Nazi lineage trope. A Supe believing in racial superiority is believable enough, it didn't need the literal association with Nazism, and Homelander now in context looking like the literal Aryan poster boy for an all white Supes future. The former scenario would have been perfectly realistic alone, but imho by adding the Nazi/white layer they clearly are trying to inject some wokeness.

Khane

That's why the nazi is so enamored with him... Homelander is not a nazi, he's being recruited by one.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Good episode. Best of the season. Lamplighter character was a solid intro. Good to see some backstory. There is a direct correlation between amount of Stormzy screen time and how good the episode is .Her character is enjoyable, unlike some others. I predict at some point we get a Homeland meltdown scene but this time it won't be a daydream. His clock is ticking and its only a matter of time.

• 1Like

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thinking Sage Grove results in the rest of the boys getting juiced up by the end of the season.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
They didn't drink any kool-aid. If superheroes actually existed it's almost certain a large portion of them would be power addled sociopaths. The nazi angle is an easy way to get the point across in a way that everyone can easily understand.

I agree with your sociopath stuff, I mean that's what the show is about. The telling thing is going to be if they have a reasonable explanation for Vought's black CEO to be down with it.

If he ends up explaining, as others have said, he was using Stormfront because her blood had the secrets for stable adult V and he didn't care about the white supremacy thing (Or only let her play at it because she was essential for their adult V formula)--that might work. It would be a pretty decent critique of how superficial corporations actually are, and how they can easily support even contradictory ideologies to make more money.

If they don't bother to explain it at all? I'm going to lean more toward the kool aid angle in that they picked white supremacy and not "supe supremacy" not because it made sense, but because they wanted to comment on the current culture.

I hope its the former though, this show has been pretty good about shitting on all ideologies equally--from the crazy social justice stuff to the crazy evangelical stuff, to now the white supremacist bullshit. Which I like, I hope they continue, its been a pretty scathing critique of corporate America's ability to exploit all these beliefs on the most superficial level because ideologues are usually idiots.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What if stormfront was the first and only natural supe, and they derived V from her blood?

This goes against the show. She says she was the first turned into a super successfully by the V, so it existed before she was a sup.

Cybsled

Thats the point I was trying to make.

The main obvious problem is Stormfront is trying to have Homelander fulfil HER vision. Its not HIS vision, which is what is fundamentally wrong. He is going to do what he wants, no matter what. Either way it could have been worse. At least this last episode was better than the last couple. We finally got to see what was going in with the CIA ladys kids being killed etc. Plus Dickguy. Lamplighter was fun. Hopefully next couple episodes go out with a bang.

The Boys are going to take V, it was in trailers

This right here is what will probably cause the rift: Stormfront has her plan, but Homelander has his own wants. I could easily see him taking her plan, trimming out all the Nazi shit, and just focusing on a Supe led world. Homelander is pretty controlling...he lost his shit when she was gone for more than 20 minutes. Stormfront's only true way of getting what she wants is to make Homelander think it is what he wants. If she tries too hard to assert what she wants, it might backfire.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I'm not sure how they are setting this up. So Stormfront is part of a secret Vought effort to make the Ubermen out of "the culture"...Which I assume is white people. But the head of Vought, which she is emailing and who knows of these plans, is a black dude.

I hope they have a way of explaining that, but I have a feeling they don't.

His super power is that he's actually white.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The nazi angle is not SJW or confusing. You're just conflating that with idiots in the real world calling everyone they don't agree with a "literal nazi". They're the ones confused about nazis. This show is taking a perfectly reasonable approach in drawing nazi parallels. What is going on with the supes in The Boys is actually very close to what nazi scientists were attempting to do and would have done had they been able to create something like compound V.

And that, in my opinion, is kind of the point. It's a "Hey, dumbass... the guy who puts on a suit and tie and enjoys the fruits of his labor working his corporate gig at Pfizer isn't a fucking nazi. You just don't like him because he's affluent and you're lazy and stupid. THIS is what a nazi would look like."

Using the Nazi angle in a story isn't in itself bad. The problem is that EVERY fucking show (and game, etc. etc.) out right now does that. It's fucking old, tired, predictable and boring. Lazy writers following the herd.

But The Boys is still great. The predictable Nazi arc isn't going to ruin it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
The only issue I have with going for the supe supremacy is it’s just a spicier version of X-Men with a sociopath Superman instead of Magneto