The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

Sean_sl

shitlord
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...described.aspx

Trailer, pictures, etc in the link.

It was the game no one wanted. When it was announced in 2010 (after four years of speculation), 2K Marin's XCOM was slated to be a first-person shooter, borrowing familiar foes and firearms from the classic series. The title drew the ire of strategy fans desperate for the return of their favorite alien invasion simulator.

Perhaps it was the fate of two other "re-imagined" franchises (2007's Shadowrun and 2012's Syndicate, neither of which were overwhelming hits with critics and players) that kept staying publisher 2K Games' hand. The title met delay after delay until fans received the best possible news: Not only was a faithful XCOM strategy title coming, but genre champion Firaxis was at the helm. The game received abundant critical praise (Metacritic: 89) and catapulted the series back into the public eye.

Now, three years after it was first announced, 2K Games is ready to re-unveil a new take on the XCOM world, with a new name and completely revamped play mechanics. The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is coming this August, and we've got the first information about how it's been transformed.

Earlier this week, we had the chance to speak with Morgan Gray, creative director on The Bureau, and Andrew Dutra, associate producer on the game. They shared with us their vision for infusing the pillars of XCOM into a third-person shooter. The team iterated multiple times to "find a real-time reinterpretation of the XCOM DNA without disrespecting the core premise of the franchise," Gray told us.

When the title re-emerged for its second showing in 2011, it already bore the early hallmarks of the tactical "Battle Focus," which is used to direct squadmates and trigger their learned abilities. Since then, the game shed its first-person view and its original name. The setting for The Bureau has not changed, though.

The game still takes place during the height of the cold war during John F. Kennedy's presidency. Americans are braced for war, but with a nuclear Soviet Union, not an alien incursion. The titular Bureau was founded (in secret) to be the first line of defense. As William Carter, you'll have to fulfill your mission to protect the populace from physical threat and mass panic, but not in any way the American government could have foreseen.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is not a game of obvious chest-high walls. Much like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, battles play out as a struggle for tactical advantage. High ground, choke points, and terrain are crucial to defeat an enemy that Gray calls "a superior force technically and in numbers."

Thankfully, each of Carter's squadmates (who are just as fragile as their XCOM: Enemy Unknown counterparts) can earn experience and learn new skills. Techniques can only be acquired after agents experience them on the battlefield. New technology can also be salvaged and equipped between missions, but research is handled more like an RPG than it was in XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

"The war is constantly moving," Gray told us. "There's no time to sit and wait for days for something to come online. The Bureau has its back against the wall, and America is about to be punched in the throat."

The progress of the story, which details the founding of the XCOM initiative and how it was put in moth balls after accomplishing its first goal (so as to keep the events secret from the American people), is non-linear. Players choose missions from a map of the United States, and as real time goes by, so progresses the overarching narrative.

Once on the ground, missions do play out from point A to point B, though the tactical nature and constant threat of permanent death for seasoned agents forces smarter play. Along the way there are secondary objectives that will also broaden the missions. "It plays out like a combat puzzle," Gray explained.

Along those lines, Gray told us that they used titles like Rainbow Six and Full Spectrum Warrior as their inspiration for a more measured, cerebral approach. "It's about how smart you are," Gray clarified. "It's about how you use your tools and the landscape. There are consequences, which is unique in the third-person space."

When asked about whether The Bureau: XCOM Declassified would offer multiplayer, Gray offered a refreshing answer. "We wanted to focus on the single-player without distracting ourselves with multiplayer," he said. "We didn't want to screw over single-player by distracting ourselves, so we went all in. Hopefully the days of tacked-on, bullet-point multiplayer are over for the industry."

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified used to be the game no one wanted. Now, we want to believe.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified arrives on August 20, 2013 for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. It will retail for $59.99.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I am cautioously optimistic about this one now. Before, it looked fucking terrible. And their producer looked like they were on crack.

Nice atmopshere in that screenshot, and I liked Bioshock 2 so hopefully that specific team picked up on some of the creative atmosphere talents of Ken Levine's latest Infinity (Even though Ken had nothing to do with Bioshock 2)

Sean_sl

shitlord
I am cautioously optimistic about this one now. Before, it looked fucking terrible. And their producer looked like they were on crack.

Nice atmopshere in that screenshot, and I liked Bioshock 2 so hopefully that specific team picked up on some of the creative atmosphere talents of Ken Levine's latest Infinity (Even though Ken had nothing to do with Bioshock 2)
2k Marin is actually listed as one of the developers on Bioshock Infinite now, though I'm not sure what exactly they helped build in it. I'm guessing they were brought in to help finish some of the levels up late in development or work on the DLC, but yeah, hopefully Ken Levine rubbed off on them a bit.

This version of the XCOM shooter definitely sounds better than the original crap they were pitching, I"m glad they went back to the drawing board on it. It's also nice to see a developer straight up say "Fuck tacked-on multiplayer, it's bullshit!"

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
2k Marin is actually listed as one of the developers on Bioshock Infinite now, though I'm not sure what exactly they helped build in it. I'm guessing they were brought in to help finish some of the levels up late in development or work on the DLC, but yeah, hopefully Ken Levine rubbed off on them a bit.

This version of the XCOM shooter definitely sounds better than the original crap they were pitching, I"m glad they went back to the drawing board on it. It's also nice to see a developer straight up say "Fuck tacked-on multiplayer, it's bullshit!"
Yeah that last part alone is awesome. Of course EA may be facepalming right now. Need to make sure weh ave miltuplayer on everything!!
smile.png

smile.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Why is the art style like 1950s America. Is that normally when XCOM is supposed to take place? I thought it was future setting.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Liked the EQ "ding" noise at about 3 minutes.

Gotta say, I didn't expect the 1950s.

Sean_sl

shitlord
It's set in 1962, actually.

Set in the United States in 1962, the game tells the story of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) special agent William Carter, tasked with investigating and stopping an unknown extraterrestrial force that is threatening the very existence of human kind. According to PC World, the game is "less Starship Troopers, more X-Files" than the classic X-COM series.
XCOM games are set all over the place. The first one was set in 1998. Subsequent ones have been set in the 2040s, 2060s, and back to 1999. The most recent XCOM game was set "in the near future" relative to now.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wasn't on my radar until recently. I think I might have seen some information on before, but iirc it was a first-person shooter. I think(?) they may have recently changed the design of the game to be a 3rd person shooter (TPS). I haven't seen very many reviews on it (probably because I haven't been looking for them).

After paying nearly full price for the last XCOM I'm not sure I could spend that much to support the franchise again. You basically get the game for free every time you sneeze.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Woops, just saw Sean has a thread for it several pages down.

$44.99 on steam at the moment.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Watch the video for Battle Focus. Just looks like a more detailed turn based 3rd person strategy game like the first but set in the 60's.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
"Almost" turn-based. Realistically it's more like Mass Effect 2/3 with the command wheel that doesn't completely pause the game world. [And from how I took one review, I think the slowdown is actually something that upgrades with some research or something - so it might be limited in how many seconds you can use it to slow down at a time or the % of dilation increases - if I took it correctly at least]

I am looking forward to it alot though, Aug 20th will be a fun day for me between this and SR4 - most stressful part of my life for many days will be which to play and getting the wife to agree with my choice. (Since we both have our own PS3)

And I'm not so sure they'll be throwing this one out as a freebie too quick - it's 2K Marin not Firaxis - 2K seems to do giveaways differently per dev house. Firaxis has TONS of giveaways, 2K Marin not very many (and very slowly - Bioshock 2 is only rarely free - not even the PS3 bonus of BS1 on the BS:I disc didn't include it!) - it's not impossible, but I'm not expecting to see it until maybe the next core XCom title comes out - and maybe not even then since it will almost definitely be PS4/XBOne which would destroy the promotion on 2/3 of the potential clients.

Not that it worries me - the cost is no object to me for anything with the XCom name on it - hell, I'd cut $1k check to Julian Gollop if he ever does a Kickstarter to get involved in XCom [or a proxy under a new name if he can't for legal reasons] again. (Well, not literally a check being Kickstarter... but you know what I mean...)

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I bought this on steam a few days ago and have been playing xcom enemy unknown since it unlocked. Having never played Xcom before I wasn't sure what to expect but I am rather enjoying it. I wonder if The Bureau will.allow you to hire new team members like in Xcom and will it include ironman mode. I'm only playing XCEU on normal ironman right now but normal is so easy that I think I'll have to move up to classic ironman before my.first play through is finished.