The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

bytes

Molten Core Raider
There's permadeath for squad members, although i don't know yet if that's going to be a default setting or ironmode. Either way, they can die and have to be replaced.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I grabbed a torrent of EU last month while waiting for Shadowrun Returns to launch and ended up loving it, I'm on like my 13th playthrough. Was waiting on a sale to buy it, so this bundle was perfect. Normal is good to start with while you get a feel for the game, but yeah, once you do, it's really easy. Especially once you get the later armor and weapons. Still haven't done an Impossible/Ironman yet.

Main thing to keep in mind on harder difficulties is focus on beam weapons and satellites in the early game. Once you start seeing the tougher mobs, ballistic weapons are suicide. Here's a link to some I/I youtube vids. They are pretty informative and highly entertaining.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zJE...QMV1tc2DfC8x3D

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I'm sad. Shooting and movement feel extremely clunky/jerky/awkward and everything at the same time, while commanding your squad in a realtime combat scenario is really distracting. Guess this would have been better as a straight up Enemy Unknown spin-off, sadly it's not.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Damn, the previews of this game made it look great and were really positive. Sadly it's getting trashed in reviews and word of mouth. I think I'll cancel my pre-order of it at gamestop today.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It just had a lot of trouble during development, multiple restarts, plays like a game that doesn't know what it wants to be, which is in part because the fanbase for XCOM don't want a re-envisioning of their game, they want their game. Understandable, Enemy Unknown is a fantastic title and so are the old Xcoms, but the tone deafness at 2k over this over the course of close to a decade developing this title is sad and a big part of why the game just doesn't live up to expectations.

Still glad I bought it, for a couple reasons. 1 I did gift all those extra game copies to friends, which made them happy, which makes me happy. 2 If the game sells tepidly 2k will have to face the facts that the reason it sold at all is because of the Xcom name on it. They look at the sales of this, versus Enemy Unknown, hopefully it'll cause them to have a nirvana like awakening and they'll stop trying to alter the formula and give us more Enemy Unknown style games and less Bureau Declassified trainwrecks.

I also suspect that this game is a solid 7, as Eurogamer scored it, but the fact is that Enemy Unknown and the Xcom history completely overshadows it. Rename this a different game, completely unattached to Xcom, I suspect it would have gotten a better reception.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Did you buy the game?
Yes, paid 37 bucks for it. Was totally worth it only because it came with a free copy of EU w/DLCs. And Spec Ops: The Line, though I haven't played much of that yet. Got 136 hours played of EU since I got my real copy, not to mention the several hundred hours I played the torrent. So definitely got my money's worth, just wish Bureau was a better game. I had my doubts anyway, when a company basically gives you $100 worth of extra games for pre-ordering it raises red flags.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Shrug enjoying it myself - not an All Star or anything but fun enough to platinum to me. Not that I'm too picky.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Yes, paid 37 bucks for it. Was totally worth it only because it came with a free copy of EU w/DLCs. And Spec Ops: The Line, though I haven't played much of that yet. Got 136 hours played of EU since I got my real copy, not to mention the several hundred hours I played the torrent. So definitely got my money's worth, just wish Bureau was a better game. I had my doubts anyway, when a company basically gives you $100 worth of extra games for pre-ordering it raises red flags.
I was going to harass you for pirating EU, an amazing game you enjoyed thoroughly. Granted you have a legit copy now, but seriously, in the future when something like EU comes out (amazingly well done turn-based strategy which is a "dead" genre) buy the bloody game to show the developer some support. Firaxis deserves, and actually needs, your money.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I was going to harass you for pirating EU, an amazing game you enjoyed thoroughly. Granted you have a legit copy now, but seriously, in the future when something like EU comes out (amazingly well done turn-based strategy which is a "dead" genre) buy the bloody game to show the developer some support. Firaxis deserves, and actually needs, your money.
Lol. I agree with you. I had no idea how good it was before I played it. I was late to the game and only found out about it last month while looking for something turn-based while waiting for the new Shadowrun. As you mention, the genre has been pretty much dead for years now, so I hadn't been paying attention. I always end up buying the games that are good, I was just waiting on a sale this time because money's a little tight at the moment.
tongue.png
And I'll definitely be pre-ordering the expansion.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really trying to like this game as much as it looked, but over the shoulder third party fps + shit happening while you try to assign your orders + taking every bit of ammo I have to kill mutons before they rape me = ugh.

I was kinda hoping for a mix of EU in how the base is built + a squad/fps, but pipe dream it is. I'd go with a 6 or 7 overall as the story is kinda neat.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Really trying to like this game as much as it looked, but over the shoulder third party fps + shit happening while you try to assign your orders + taking every bit of ammo I have to kill mutons before they rape me = ugh.

I was kinda hoping for a mix of EU in how the base is built + a squad/fps, but pipe dream it is. I'd go with a 6 or 7 overall as the story is kinda neat.
I always hate the mix of "hey, gotta have limited ammo cuz realism, yo" with enemies that take more than 1-2 bullets to kill. Consistency, how does it work?

I think this game would have worked a lot better as pure tactical with no shooter. Give your (whole) squad commands and watch the action.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Lol. I agree with you. I had no idea how good it was before I played it. I was late to the game and only found out about it last month while looking for something turn-based while waiting for the new Shadowrun. As you mention, the genre has been pretty much dead for years now, so I hadn't been paying attention. I always end up buying the games that are good, I was just waiting on a sale this time because money's a little tight at the moment.
tongue.png
And I'll definitely be pre-ordering the expansion.
Awesome, me too. The EU expansion is a no-brainer for me and I am completely violating my "No pre-orders" rule.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For someone who has played this, how does the combat compare to ME3 or ME2?
Plays pretty closely - AI is relatively bright without micromanaging. Is some extra details like "Flanking" bonuses and such added to the details when you give orders to people and you can queue a bunch of extras.

khalid

Unelected Mod
So was borderline on buying this game because of the review but decided to try it. I get it and I can't play it because it overheats my video card. A fucking game that runs on PS3 and its overheating my card on a modern PC? Very irritated.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
What video card do you have? Do you use programs like Nvidia inspector or whatever it is they use for AMD to turn your fans up?