The Color Out of Space (2019)

Fedor

<Banned>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: The Color Out of Space (2019)

Genre: Horror, Science Fiction

Director: Richard Stanley

Cast: Nicolas Cage, Joely Richardson, Q'orianka Kilcher, Tommy Chong, Brendan Meyer, Madeleine Arthur, Julian Hilliard, Elliot Knight, Melissa Nearman

Release: 2019-12-31

Plot: A meteorite crashes in rural New England, infecting the environment with a strange, otherworldly color that gradually mutates every lifeform it touches.

Fedor

<Banned>
gblcdxp64vf31.jpg

45c817meo8f31.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fedor

<Banned>
So, the Natalie Portman movie is a rip off of this?

Some critics have noted correlations between the film and other science fiction works. Nerdist Industries' Kyle Anderson commented that the film has little to do with the novel that it was based on, and is similar to H. P. Lovecraft's 1927 short story "The Colour Out of Space",[14] about a meteor that lands in a swamp and unleashes a plague.[15] Chris McCoy of the Memphis Flyer also found the film reminiscent of "The Colour Out of Space" as well as the novel Roadside Picnic(1971) and its film adaptation, Stalker (1979).[15]

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Wasn't the story also the inspiration behind The Blob and that Creepshow movie bit with Stephen King?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you think Annihilation is an original story, look into Stalker (1979)...

Plot
In the distant future, the protagonist (Alexander Kaidanovsky) works in some unclear location as a "Stalker" who leads people through the "Zone", an area in which the normal laws of reality do not apply and remnants of seemingly extraterrestrial activity lie undisturbed amongst its ruins. The Zone contains a place called the "Room", said to grant the wishes of anyone who steps inside. The area containing the Zone is shrouded in secrecy, sealed off by the government and surrounded by ominous hazards.

This is an insane short docu-film detailing the struggles of getting the movie made and how it eventually killed many of whom that worked on it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Also don't forget Darkest Dungeon's DLC the Color of Madness!

darkestdung.jpg

A meteorite crashes to Earth causing weird mutations and the laws of physics to unravel!

• 2Like

Fedor

<Banned>

archived version: Nicolas Cage on Acting, Philosophy and Searching for the Holy Grail -…

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
If you think Annihilation is an original story, look into Stalker (1979)...

Plot
In the distant future, the protagonist (Alexander Kaidanovsky) works in some unclear location as a "Stalker" who leads people through the "Zone", an area in which the normal laws of reality do not apply and remnants of seemingly extraterrestrial activity lie undisturbed amongst its ruins. The Zone contains a place called the "Room", said to grant the wishes of anyone who steps inside. The area containing the Zone is shrouded in secrecy, sealed off by the government and surrounded by ominous hazards.

This is an insane short docu-film detailing the struggles of getting the movie made and how it eventually killed many of whom that worked on it.
I recently found this same video and it's quite amazing how hard Tarkovsky worked to finish this movie, three times. The original story Roadside Picnic is also a really good, quick, read.

I think that this is probably one of very few plots that I don't mind seeing retold since the similarities usually end at "meteor crashing to earth causes weird things"

• 2Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
"He reached the 'fuck it, why not' phase of his career"

That's just kind of been Nic Cage's career from the getgo and the history of his mad genius and mad, spectacular, failure. The only thing that I'm hoping is that directors aren't banking on just turning him loose like what was the big selling point with Mandy but I'm also hoping that they just turn Cage loose

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The original story Roadside Picnic is also a really good, quick, read.

I started Roadside Picnic today and really, really like it so far. I tried reading Annihilation after seeing a trailer for the film whenever ago. I got bored right away and gave up on the thing and the movie did not inspire me to pick it back up.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Go to 2:50 of the first vid I posted. Fucking classic Cage.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
So I just recently read all Lovecraft's work, and in retrospect you can see his influence through SO MUCH horror entertainment. Clearly the Annihilation series was greatly influenced by this story, but the guy took it to more modern technical places with all the genetic mixing and he also turned the well into a weird inverted "tower". I loved the Annihilation series, I thought it a great slow burn, but the movie was meh.

I expect this movie to be the same. All the stories outside of The Mountains of Madness and maybe one other are seemingly too short to really adapt to the screen without some well-written filler.

And what is with the racism thing always coming up with Lovecraft? He was a white guy in the 20's. Weren't they all raving racists then? I mean they didn't have slaves anymore but they still thought of anyone non-white as sub-human. Lovecraft clearly thought low-born white people were sub-human as well based on his writing. I did not see racism as a theme in Lovecraft's writing, more like side references which are topical to the times so what is with the obsession on it?

That poem, however, is certainly something. But what do you figure - 90%+ of affluent white people agreed wholesale at the time?

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database