The Color Out of Space (2019)

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I just recently read all Lovecraft's work, and in retrospect you can see his influence through SO MUCH horror entertainment. Clearly the Annihilation series was greatly influenced by this story, but the guy took it to more modern technical places with all the genetic mixing and he also turned the well into a weird inverted "tower". I loved the Annihilation series, I thought it a great slow burn, but the movie was meh.

I expect this movie to be the same. All the stories outside of The Mountains of Madness and maybe one other are seemingly too short to really adapt to the screen without some well-written filler.

And what is with the racism thing always coming up with Lovecraft? He was a white guy in the 20's. Weren't they all raving racists then? I mean they didn't have slaves anymore but they still thought of anyone non-white as sub-human. Lovecraft clearly thought low-born white people were sub-human as well based on his writing. I did not see racism as a theme in Lovecraft's writing, more like side references which are topical to the times so what is with the obsession on it?

That poem, however, is certainly something. But what do you figure - 90%+ of affluent white people agreed wholesale at the time?

It's all this infantile need to judge everything by today's standards that encompasses the entirety of leftism.

The same side that tells us we should judge the art and not the artist while blowing Roman Polanski can't wait to jump on any opportunity to point out that racism existed a hundred years ago.

• 3Like
  • 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Fedor

<Banned>
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fedor

<Banned>

TfOxa9M.png

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Spotlight
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’ll just say, planning on seeing this and had to stop the trailer about a minute in. Shows a little too much for my taste, for this kind of film.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I didn't like it and it took me more than one sitting to finish it. It's got some good bits and some interesting visuals but the framework of the story is really basic.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BOTZhM2M1NGItZTdhNS00ODMxLWJjYTQtNTQ2Yzg4ZWZhMTM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Interestingly enough until just now I never realized that The Curse was based on the same story. It says so right on the poster!

So yeah, not great.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yes it was kind of boring story wise but the visuals were very interesting in some places.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
I watched 8mm first time last night. That film could have gone wrong a hundred ways, because the subject matter is truly disturbing. The film made you hate the monsters, and Cage did a good job of playing someone truly being pushed to their limit. I hold no grudge against Cage for going for $$ these days.

(Gandolfini played an excellent creep monster in that film, absolutely disgusting character. I would argue better than Tony Soprano char, which was a soft char imo. And Juaquin Phonenix played his tragic role very well)

• 2Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This movie is a bit lazy but the pacing is good, it really doesnt have any slow spots, the color palette is extremely vivid (it has a very neon magenta, teal, purple 80s color palette) and you get a couple of funny trademark Nic Cage overacted freakouts.

Dont think too hard about it, just watch it and enjoy it for it is.

• 2Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
the color palette is extremely vivid (it has a very neon magenta, teal, purple 80s color palette) and you get a couple of funny trademark Nic Cage overacted freakouts.

Sounds just like Mandy.

How are you guys seeing this? I've never sailed the high seas, do i need to start?? No way in hell im doing it on a computer monitor though, i need the big screen.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I just saw this. I thought it was pretty bad to be honest. I couldn't tell if Nic Cage was purposefully being a horrible actor or if it was the role he was playing.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I couldn't tell if Nic Cage was purposefully being a horrible actor or if it was the role he was playing.

This describes Mr. Cage perfectly and the answer to the pseudo question is: Yes, all of it.

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
This is probably the first Cage movie I've watched in ages, used to be a big fan of his movies in the 90's.

This is for certain a B-movie, but it feels like an 80's B movie that had enough of a budget to make it to theatres.

If you like the Mythos, and love to see Nick Cage play a fucked up character, it's worth a watch once. Chong was a nice extra touch too.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This is probably the first Cage movie I've watched in ages, used to be a big fan of his movies in the 90's.

This is for certain a B-movie, but it feels like an 80's B movie that had enough of a budget to make it to theatres.

If you like the Mythos, and love to see Nick Cage play a fucked up character, it's worth a watch once. Chong was a nice extra touch too.

Ahem

You're welcome

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
For real. I slept on Mandy forever and finally watched it a couple of months ago. That movie is god damn amazing.

• 2Solidarity

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I loved this movie, it felt like an actual horror movie from back when directors made horror movies. Practical effects and body horror and it was great to see that Richard Stanley still has the eye for detail to make a great horror/schlock film. I was thinking about other Lovecraft adaptations besides this one, which is probably one of the best ones, and remembered Event Horizon being another well made cosmic horror then realized that the mom in this is also one of the survivors at the end of that.

The little touches in this made me enjoy it more as I've thought about it. The nod to Carpenter's The Thing, the weird mix of humor inside of a completely fucked up situation, down to the opening of Cage messing with his wedding ring reflected in one of the last shots of the house. Just a lot of care taken by Stanley for a horror movie that more modern directors would have just half assed through. It's definitely a strange movie but it's a lot more palatable than Mandy. This acid house Cage resurgence is fun so far

• 2Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Ahem

You're welcome
Haha what the fuck, that trailer is insane, I've never heard of that one before. Was that an evil tranny? That was an evil tranny, I fucking know it.

Thanks, I'll watch that tomorrow, too tired, don't need to fall asleep to shit like that haha.

I love Crazy Cage, it can be highly entertaining sometimes. He's shat out a whole bunch of stinkers over the past 2 decades, so I've kinda tuned him out