The Cursed (2021)

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
4.67 star(s) Rating: 4.67/5 3 Votes
Title: The Cursed (2021)

Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Mystery

Director: Sean Ellis

Cast: Kelly Reilly, Boyd Holbrook, Alistair Petrie, Roxane Duran, Nigel Betts, Stuart Bowman, Gary Oliver, Richard Cunningham, Simon Kunz, Áine Rose Daly, Amelia Crouch, Tom Sweet, Max Mackintosh, Parker Ellis, Tommy Rodger, Sean Mahon, Mish Boyko, Paul Bandey, Alun Raglan, Oisín Stack, Florie Blight, Annabel Mullion, Jicey Carina, Stuart Goodwin, Edmund Wiseman, Christopher Craig, Serge Pierre-Gaudou, Patrick Zocco, Brigitte Masure, Anne-Hélène Orvelin, Robert Charpentier, Rebecca Calder, Fabien Houssaye, Carl Laforêt

Release: 2021-07-28

Runtime: 110

Plot: In the late nineteenth century, brutal land baron Seamus Laurent slaughters a Roma clan, unleashing a curse on his family and village. In the days that follow, the townspeople are plagued by nightmares, Seamus’s son Edward goes missing, and a boy is found murdered. The locals suspect a wild animal, but visiting pathologist John McBride warns of a more sinister presence lurking in the woods.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So it would appear at first glance like it came out awhile ago. This is misleading, as it just finished a small US theatrical release and was only recently available on torrent.

Highly reviewed indie horror movie. Competent directing and very atmospheric.

The plot is really basic so I'd avoid trailers. Don't watch it if you aren't a fan of atmospheric horror. The director really aced the lighting, everything was natural lighting the entire movie and consistent throughout. No effects or additional lights that I could make out went a long way toward intriguing me enough to see it through to it's conclusion.

Also there is a great shot of Kelly Reilly's tits.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I have not watched this yet so no spoilers please but the plot reminds me of Brotherhood of the Wolf. Hope there is a werewolf in Cursed. The teeth on the front give me hope.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its ok. The atmosphere and vibe of the movie is great, awesome visuals overall, a lot of gore and some harrowing moments that are hard to watch. But overall the plot is kind of retarded and boils down to suppressed guilt over colonialist transgressions dressed up as a werewolf movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

ha. humans are the real monster, and more dangerous is the plot of like 97% of horror movies. it comes in all forms. sometimes is Frankenstien. man playing god, and monster is misunderstood as the people are the real monsters. other times, its civilization is awful, and the protags are driven to the edges of it, with no safety blankets, which pushes them into close quarters with the monster.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I watched this. It was really good and I thought the pacing was solid as well. Highly recommended.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Flattop

Trakanon Raider
Also there is a great shot of Kelly Reilly's tits.
Why did the husband shrink away from these tits? This scene was well before his white man colonialist power play, there was nothing to feel guilty about yet.

Animosity

I have not watched this yet so no spoilers please but the plot reminds me of Brotherhood of the Wolf. Hope there is a werewolf in Cursed. The teeth on the front give me hope.
Tried to watch Brotherhood of the Wolf but the version I found was english dubbed and I couldnt make it longer than 15 mins.

Cursed was awesome though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Tried to watch Brotherhood of the Wolf but the version I found was english dubbed and I couldnt make it longer than 15 mins.

Cursed was awesome though.
Oh man that blows. Was that on Shudder? Free trial of you really want to watch it. They also have a Roku app and can be done through Amazon if you want.

Animosity

Oh man that blows. Was that on Shudder? Free trial of you really want to watch it. They also have a Roku app and can be done through Amazon if you want.
It was a high seas streaming site. Ill have to look for the French version.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
In case you're having problems finding this movie on certain sites like IPT, it is under the name Eight for Silver. I couldn't find it for shit until I searched for the IMDB number.

Looking forward to checking it out, and I couldn't believe that it wasn't there when every other shitty movie is, so I figured I'd help anyone else out in the same situation.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoyed this movie. And I have absolutely no idea why the tit-shot was in there, as it seemed to add absolutely nothing to the movie, but I'm glad it was there! For her age she's got surprisingly nice heavy boobs. More movies need random tits that have no real purpose other than to show me a tit. The daughter (who is 18, I checked!) was also pretty cute.

I liked how it was fairly straight-forward once you knew what was going on, and they didn't really fuck around with trying to obfuscate stuff or even hide the monster completely until the final big reveal. Sure they only showed parts of it for awhile, but you got the idea soon enough. And there was no big mystery about who was responsible for what. It was very refreshing.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database