The D&D thread

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I was asked to join a party about 1 / 3 of the way through Hoard of the Dragon Queen then into Rise of Tiamat. The party is level 5 and consists of a Rogue ( assassination ), Cleric ( Tempest ) and Bard ( Lore ). I am replacing someone who was playing a homebrew variant of a Monk. I was told Tiamat would end with player levels at 19 - 20.

I was leaning towards Wizard to compliment the party. They lack quite a bit of utility / magic, and most of them are melee characters. However I also think the party sans the rogue will start to slow down in damage as the game progresses so i was wondering if I should move towards a more consistent "dps" character like the Archer/Fighter etc.

I played a wizard to 10 in a campaign a while back and it ended before the wizard got crazy powerful. I have no experience playing a wizard in higher level play. I have played a Totem Barb to 12. A Sorc Lock to 14. I just wanted some input on what you all feel would compliment the party the most or fill the most crucial gap.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So I was asked to join a party about 1 / 3 of the way through Hoard of the Dragon Queen then into Rise of Tiamat. The party is level 5 and consists of a Rogue ( assassination ), Cleric ( Tempest ) and Bard ( Lore ). I am replacing someone who was playing a homebrew variant of a Monk. I was told Tiamat would end with player levels at 19 - 20.

I was leaning towards Wizard to compliment the party. They lack quite a bit of utility / magic, and most of them are melee characters. However I also think the party sans the rogue will start to slow down in damage as the game progresses so i was wondering if I should move towards a more consistent "dps" character like the Archer/Fighter etc.

I played a wizard to 10 in a campaign a while back and it ended before the wizard got crazy powerful. I have no experience playing a wizard in higher level play. I have played a Totem Barb to 12. A Sorc Lock to 14. I just wanted some input on what you all feel would compliment the party the most or fill the most crucial gap.

Wizards get insane later on, seems like it would be a good fit. Other good option is paladin the anti-fear aura is the tits when fighting things that can terrify like Dragons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
A while back there was someone on here who showed off some really excellent character sheets that they had designed themselves. I thought it was in this thread, but I just scrolled through and couldn't find it. Anybody remember who designed those char sheets or the thread they were posted in?

Edit: NM, found it. It was this thread. Page 7. Think I just didn't wait long enough for images to load when I skimmed through before.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Totally late to the party, but a wizard will do crazy things at high level. They GENERALLY will do less single target damage than the other dps characters, but utility and aoe will easily upend encounters

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Wizards are crazy high end. Thats one reason why all the recent editions have been giving fighters more and more powers through feats or spell like abilities. To try and balance it a bit more.

j00t

yeah fighters are the workhorses. they get more feats/asi's than anyone else, more attacks than anyone else... on paper they arent going to out play anyone, really... but they will be the class that is most consistent. we just finished a 2 year campaign, my first lvl 20 character (grave cleric, was pretty crazy) and we're wrappimg up the post story now, but in a few weeks we'll be starting the next campaign and ill be playing a fighter... homebrew eldritch knight into a sort of spell breaker with some minor abjuration spell usage and counterspell as a class feature (free CS equal to int mod per short rest) as well as upgraded CS at higher levels (spell reflect, add prof, psychic damage). should be good times

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
A while back there was someone on here who showed off some really excellent character sheets that they had designed themselves. I thought it was in this thread, but I just scrolled through and couldn't find it. Anybody remember who designed those char sheets or the thread they were posted in?

Edit: NM, found it. It was this thread. Page 7. Think I just didn't wait long enough for images to load when I skimmed through before.

Hey thanks, that was me! It was the first, and only time, that I've ever used Publisher. I did like the way they came out, but everything was manual, so its some work to maintain. Here are all of the publisher files if you want to mess around with them. Also, I threw the font I used in there, because I love this font and everyone should use it for everything >_<

Attachments

• Chars.zip
    978.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hey thanks, that was me! It was the first, and only time, that I've ever used Publisher. I did like the way they came out, but everything was manual, so its some work to maintain. Here are all of the publisher files if you want to mess around with them. Also, I threw the font I used in there, because I love this font and everyone should use it for everything >_<

Cool, thanks man. Loved your sheets (and yeah, that font rocks). In the process of making sheets for my own system and wanted some inspiration ;)

Wrath

Molten Core Raider
Finally was able to finish my DnD screen. Hoping to make another one, but with Warhammer 40K theme.

• 7Like
  • 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 7 users

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have advice for a good mobile-friendly app to track character progression? We have a relatively noob group that I DM for (we are running the Mines of Phandelver arc for level 1-5). Something to keep track of spells and leveling would be ideal - DnDBeyond is really awesome but you need to pay to unlock most of the useful stuff. Any good alternatives?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Anyone have advice for a good mobile-friendly app to track character progression? We have a relatively noob group that I DM for (we are running the Mines of Phandelver arc for level 1-5). Something to keep track of spells and leveling would be ideal - DnDBeyond is really awesome but you need to pay to unlock most of the useful stuff. Any good alternatives?

Gamemaster 5 might get you through with the free version. Honestly though if you do a lot of Pen and Paper RPGS paying for full versions is worth it.

‎Game Master 5th Edition

for players try:

‎Fifth Edition Character Sheet

Ome

Molten Core Raider

I really like using Fight Club 5 for character progression.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I want to give a shout out to the Tomb of Annihilation Fantasy grounds module, Easily worth the $60 purchase price if you want to support the company. It has every single map included complete with grids and pinned encounters, traps, Storyline and everything you just drag and drop it.

1548459967509.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

FG is incredibly frustrating... my DM is a huge supporter of FG and they do great work with their modules. the problem is that the UI needs work. they've been working on a really cool update, i think in Unity? anyway, my DM was in correspondence with the creators, basically talking about how they are losing the battle against Roll20 because they have NO social media presence. it's also like 3 guys working on it as a hobby and they just... cannot be motivated to put more focus on it. they were in talks of hiring my DM to help expand and after a few weeks they were just like, eh, we're happy with our current state. which means that super cool update they've been working on for 2 years isn't really any closer to being released.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
FG is incredibly frustrating... my DM is a huge supporter of FG and they do great work with their modules. the problem is that the UI needs work. they've been working on a really cool update, i think in Unity? anyway, my DM was in correspondence with the creators, basically talking about how they are losing the battle against Roll20 because they have NO social media presence. it's also like 3 guys working on it as a hobby and they just... cannot be motivated to put more focus on it. they were in talks of hiring my DM to help expand and after a few weeks they were just like, eh, we're happy with our current state. which means that super cool update they've been working on for 2 years isn't really any closer to being released.

Haven't done fantasy grounds and I just messed around with R20 for the first time the other day. Super impressed with R20, and I'm a really, really picky GM when it comes to stuff like that. They did a great job of making it really easy and intuitive and they included all kinds of little small features in creative ways that I thought would be difficult or impossible to implement in that format. That said, I haven't run an actual game in roll20 yet. So I guess the jury is really still out