The D&D thread

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Haven't done fantasy grounds and I just messed around with R20 for the first time the other day. Super impressed with R20, and I'm a really, really picky GM when it comes to stuff like that. They did a great job of making it really easy and intuitive and they included all kinds of little small features in creative ways that I thought would be difficult or impossible to implement in that format. That said, I haven't run an actual game in roll20 yet. So I guess the jury is really still out

yeah, i have limited knowledge of roll20. i think fantasy grounds is more comprehensive, but less intuitive. or so it seemed. but yeah, roll20 has a pretty big audience and a large enough employee base to allow much more work to be done on it.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
yeah, i have limited knowledge of roll20. i think fantasy grounds is more comprehensive, but less intuitive. or so it seemed. but yeah, roll20 has a pretty big audience and a large enough employee base to allow much more work to be done on it.

I'll agree with that I can do so much more with Fantasy Grounds then I can with Roll20 but it does have a learning curve. We switched from Roll20 about 4 months ago and we are all pretty good with it now.

Fantasy Grounds made the best decision of their life to capitalize on the Roll20 drama that happened a few months back. They put their entire product base on sale right as everyone was jumping ship from roll20. I would expect this increase in income will go a long way in fine tuning their product.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't mind a little learning curve if I'm using something long-term. Anything considered "comprehensive" is it going to have at least a small learning curve by necessity. If I was using it to play 5th edition or something, I would certainly check out both. But I'm only using it to test my personal system, so something versatile and easy is key.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i haven't dm'd so i have no idea about really anything on that level, but as a player, FG is nice because you can use it as little or as much as you want. there have been times where we ONLY used it to roll dice while other times we've been in person and used it on a projector to show the maps. it's versatile when it needs to be

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
i haven't dm'd so i have no idea about really anything on that level, but as a player, FG is nice because you can use it as little or as much as you want. there have been times where we ONLY used it to roll dice while other times we've been in person and used it on a projector to show the maps. it's versatile when it needs to be

As a DM it's amazing, you need some NPCs drag and drop sorted by CR/Type need traps or a magic item? There is a table for everything just click a button

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
I've used roll20 a bunch as both as dm and a player and it's pretty solid. If you pay for the middle tier account as a dm you and all your players get the dynamic lighting feature on your maps, which is pretty cool for the published campaigns but a pain in the tits to create when making your own maps. I would recommend it and could try and answer any questions.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Ive been DMing a Seven player 5e game for the last 8 months and it's been a total fucking blast, we meet every other Friday and we have yet to miss a session I got some reliable people.

Fantasy grounds allows me to manage these bigger parties because it gives players and myself so much automation it is great.

D&D is the highlight of my week when I have it and Id love to play more.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Thought my players were going to totally fuck up my "plans" this last week. I was sweating bullets as they went deep off the rails and started discussing things that would irreparably change the overarching plot. I went with it and let them do whatever they wanted, trying not to let them see me going "fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck" internally as they discussed having to kill a pivotal NPC if it came down to it. In the end however, they not only put themselves back on the tracks, but set up some other future stuff more solidly, and really strengthened some established points. I swear I spent 2 hours in panic, followed by be as giddy as could be by the time the game ended.

A funny thing that happened last session- they were hunting a demon that commanded an artifact that was basically sending out a mass charm person to the surrounding area, like miles around its lair, it had killed thousands. The characters organization invented big crazy looking helmets that could cut most of the effect out (basically big tinfoil hats they had to wear). So, the PC's could feel the urge to go to the lair, but had no issue resisting it. The helms didn't totally block the enchantment magic however, so they were still struck by the landscape slowly turning into a candyland around them as they got closer. If they pulled down the helm to their head tightly it would completely protect them, and they would see the reality of the world around them, which became more and more horror show the closer they got to the demons lair, and they would have to make con saves to avoid taking poison damage, fear, levels of exhaustion, or the like. So, the marshmallow and pretzel monsters were fine to fight, but pull down your helmet and see the actual shit and gore monster demon and take a risk, but potentially see something helpful too, that kind of thing.

Anyway, the final fight is a 15 foot tall chocolate penguin (Thank you Wal-mart for X-mas candy for a mini) in a pool of chocolate and caramel. I had a bunch of fight mechanics, and one of them was that when it started getting low on HP, it hardened (half all damage), bent over and started sucking up the chocolate pool to heal 50 hp a round. What I didn't expect was one character, the dwarf who was standing in the pool chest deep attacking the beast from the side, to say "I drop my shield, pull my axe in the offhand, and shout "Lets see if you've got that cream filling!" and run straight into the geyser of chocolate its sucking up." So... he does that and ends up blind and deaf inside a whirling miasma of fluids on the inside of this thing. The barbarian charges in and crit fails. I have her roll another d20 to decide how bad it is (just house rule stuff) and she rolls a 2. I tell her as she brought her maul up over her head, some part of the helm caught on it and was pulled off. She now knows this penguin is a god, her and her friends are wrong, and by destroying it they will destroy everything. She has to stop them! So, she looks over at the Pally and Sorc and screams something about them making a terrible mistake, then she looks at the penguin and says "Don't worry, I won't let him hurt you!" and jumps into the geyser... ending up inside the demon as well.

At this point the pally pulls down his helmet to see whats really going on. The pool is blood, gore, shit, piss, and bile. The penguin is a huge baby in crawling position, sucking up the gore. The baby seems to be made of hundreds of rotting, skinless, aborted babies, clinging to each other to create this form. He makes his con save, fails, and runs away the way the group came for 3 rounds. The Sorc is unloading spells at the thing talking to herself about this is how she's going to die and saying fuck a lot. I'm having the dwarf make 4 rolls, all d10's, on a 1-5 he hits the creature, on a 6-7 he hits the barb he doesn't know is in there, and on a 8-10 he doesn't connect with anything solid. He is doing some damage. The barb is similar but rolls 2 die, and 1-4 hurts the creatur, 5-8 hurts the dwarf, 9-0 nothing (I figured its hard to not hit anything with a maul). She connects with the dwarf and drops him to 2 hp left.

Anyway, they end up winning in the end, with the dwarf cutting a hole and squeezing through, trying and failing to get the artifact (a crown they could all see on its head), and the Sorc getting a crit and cutting the thing in half as it was about to kill her too. The second it died the spell ended, and everyone but the dwarf doubled over vomiting. They got the crown and started walking back, everyone in silence, the sorc was crying, and the dwarf was excitedly telling them all "did you see when I did that?!" the whole time. They had to use a crank powered elevator at one point and the dwarf starts whistling. It was pretty great. They all get to a road and use magic to call for a ride. They all say they just sit in the road in silence and horror. The dwarf says "From my direction they hear a click, scrape, click, scrape" over and over. The Sorc says "fine, I turn around to see what he's doing" and the dwarf says "She turns around to see me with my mess kit out, eating some stew with a spoon, just as happy as can be... still covered head to toe in gore and shit." And everyone at the table gagged.

Was a really fun session/boss fight. It was after that all the other stuff started happening.

• 1Like

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
On a side note - we ended the session with the leader of their organization declaring that due to some resentment from some of the other less successful teams among other things, most of the organization would be leaving in a few days for an HR mandated mandatory team building workshop camp. The concept of this was stolen from another podcast, but the jist is that the next session will start on the last day of camp, with the players having already been there for a couple of days, and it mostly been a bunch of bullshit. The final challange will be the dungeon of friendship or something like that. It will be a bunch of poorly built sets, with effectively plywood construction, decorated like a haunted maze. Think fake cobwebs and wallpaper that looks like old stone bricks plastered on everything. The challenges are all going to be team building exercises, each person doing a trust fall with a teammate, giving each other constructive criticism, just stuff that makes them roll their eyes and complain. This will all be led by a hippie counselor explaining the challenges and teaching them life lessons. They will all hate this and complain, but should play along.

At the end of the "dungeon" , ohh shit, he's going to call it a "fungeon" I just realized haha, anyway, at the end there will be a treasure chest that when opened will shoot out some confetti and have a balloon float out that says "Congratulations new BEST FRIENDS" or something like that, and that's the whole deal. When they complain, and they will, the hippie guy is going to act confused and tell them it seems like they just aren't getting it, "like, whats the problem, man?" and they will no doubt explain that the whole thing sucks. He will then say something like "Ohh, well if the problem is that its just not hard enough, I can fix that, lets do it again in hard mode" and the floor will open up and drop them on some funhouse slides going down into the earth.

Here's where things get mixed up. A.) they are in the exact same dungeon, only now shit is real. Real Spiders, real traps. Trust falls while dodging blades, constructive criticism that heals or harms, etc etc. The other mix up, B.) Everyone swaps character sheets. They all find themselves in each others bodies, and have to work together with different skill sets to beat the dungeon. I'm going to put them in whatever body is the most foreign / will get the most laughs. On top of this, the Hippie NPC will shout some ominous thing about how long he planned this and how they don't even remember the man who's life they ruined. None of that is true, but he's trying to get them to think this is real, life or death shit.

At the end they will get their bodies back, and maybe some sort of minor magic item, like 4 rings that will always tell them the other wearers moods or something, so they can better understand each other.

So, anyone have the dumbest HR Team building seminar idea's they have ever had to do? I'm happy to hear any examples, or if you have any ideas for a regular and a dungeon version that's great too :)

REALLY enjoying this DnD with some silly elements thrown in campaign, and my players are saying its probably the most fun they have ever had with D&D, which considering that we are all 30-40 years old really flatters me. It's a bunch of stolen idea's, but the biggest thing has been letting go of the rules and going "Would that be awesome? Yeah? Ok cool, then sure, I'll let you do that, roll a dice."

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The penguin is a huge baby in crawling position, sucking up the gore. The baby seems to be made of hundreds of rotting, skinless, aborted babies, clinging to each other to create this form.

If this isn't a Homebrew adventure, I want to know the company that had the balls to put this out.

• 1Like

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Saw a free module called "Assault on Gumdrop Mountain" and then just put a spin on the idea. The overarching plot is stolen from a podcast called "The Adventure Zone" but again, spinning all over the place. :)

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't played D&D in years, but I have a lot of experience. I've wanted to get back in to a regular campaign, but I can never find a 'normal,' consistent group of people.

Do any of you play in or run an online campaign with a slot for a non-disruptive, reliable player? I prefer to play rogues, but I'm flexible.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I haven't played D&D in years, but I have a lot of experience. I've wanted to get back in to a regular campaign, but I can never find a 'normal,' consistent group of people.

Do any of you play in or run an online campaign with a slot for a non-disruptive, reliable player? I prefer to play rogues, but I'm flexible.

I use to, but haven't had the time this year. Put your info out there on Fantasy Grounds and their Discord or Roll20.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I completed a bucket list moment this week by running the "Lair Assault: tyrantclaw" module.

It was a 4e module that is just one fight. You can add it to a normal campaign like I did or just run it as a one shot.

They converted it to 5e and put it on fantasy grounds.

Jist is a high level druid is trying to channel the power from this obelisk in the jungle and you have to protect her.

I gave the players a day to prepare and 100 resource points to spend on barricades and ballista.

They went with two ballista and 8 crates to block pathways in the temple. The druid also summoned giant spiders and the wizard cast web on an area for them.

Bard lit fires and cast smoke cloud on them to cover areas.

We had a Yuan Ti paladin go out in the jungle with the ranger and charm fucking snakes to help them.

Once they get all set up they start the ritual and it's a moment of silence. Drums start beating in the distance and then from the south 10 orcs appear from the jungle line. They get past the smoke right into an enhanced fireball from our sorcerer.

10 dead orcs in one cast. Party starts laughing saying how much time they prepared and they just one shot the orcs. I'm sitting here laughing my ass off because it's just wave 1-5.

Suddenly from the North two Triceratops stomp into view being rideny by orc pummelers one of them charges into our Bard doing 90% of her HP in one charge+Gore and pinning her down.

Paladin charges the triceratops head on and his warhorse actually manages to knock the dinosaur prone causing the orc to dismount and fight him 1v1 as the druid entangles the fallen dinosaur to help keep it down.

Bard takes a dodge then a disengage to hide in a wall off area of the ruins. While the sorcerer and the wizard whittle down the dinosaurs the druid and ranger are on the ruin walls shooting ballista bolts on these 150HP beasts and after a few turns they fall.

Next wave is a pair of Anklysaurs and two orc wizards.

It was 2am so we had to stop for the week but it was very enjoyable and the players are in total siege mode with the druid using spiders to CC and casting snare. The glass canons sitting on top of a pillar burning down targets while the paladin and Bard are zooming around the battlefield hampering movement and ability checks while the ranger ballistas mobs from afar

I'm not 100% if they will survive this as there are more toothy surprises at the end but so far they are enjoying it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Tomorrow my group goes into the "final battle" of Storm Kings Thunder. They opted to take out a couple extra giant lords, so they're 4 12th level players plus two giant helpers going up against an Ancient Blue Dragon in her lair. Will be interesting to see how it goes. I am not going to baby them, because I don't want to cheapen the fight. I would hope that worst case scenario a few of them go down, but they persevere anyway.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Tomorrow my group goes into the "final battle" of Storm Kings Thunder. They opted to take out a couple extra giant lords, so they're 4 12th level players plus two giant helpers going up against an Ancient Blue Dragon in her lair. Will be interesting to see how it goes. I am not going to baby them, because I don't want to cheapen the fight. I would hope that worst case scenario a few of them go down, but they persevere anyway.

I've already killed one player and I feel that if they always win it's less fun for them.

I don't go out of my way to do so but you have to play as how the enemies would play.

• 1Like

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Oh I killed one of them like session three, almost a year ago. I also killed, swallowed, and digested one but they resurrected him. Unfortunately for them resurrections are a bit wonky in the current timeline, but they haven't uncovered the whole of that story line yet.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I picked up Herolab online for starfinder. It is basically for making/printing PCs so if you want a clean character sheet link me to your filled out sheet and I will send it back your way in PDF version.