The D&D thread

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
A west marches campaign that allows people to just drop in whenever might be an option as well

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Randomly jumping into this thread..... Any sources for pdf's etc of the new 5th edition rules? Would like to read to decide if I'd like to give it a go. Havn't played since 3rd edition, but turns out a bunch of other cops are nerds and play.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
It doesn't have to be a goblin village... and it doesn't have to be in the swamp. Repurpose that badboy every chance you get.

I'd flip the table over and storm off if my DM recycled the goblin swamp village as something else later in the campaign. Immersion would be spoiled.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think i'd be interested in the online skype D and D thing, at that point why not just play a MMO? I suggest looking on places like meetup to see if people are forming groups and if there are not any, then YOU may have to start up the group and be the DM. Build it and they will come.

• 1Picard

Rime

<Donor>
I don't think i'd be interested in the online skype D and D thing, at that point why not just play a MMO? I suggest looking on places like meetup to see if people are forming groups and if there are not any, then YOU may have to start up the group and be the DM. Build it and they will come.

This works if you live in the city or even a reasonably sized town. Not so much if you live in the middle of no-where. It is an hour drive to the nearest 'game shop' that is more than just someone who re-branded a failing baseball card/comic store and carries a token selection.

• 1Like

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
Comparing an mmo to online d&d is a bit dumb - despite the fact both are played online they are obviously completely different experiences. Playing on roll20 or whatever is actually a totally worthwhile experience and I can say this as someone who currently dm's a traditional in person game as well as playing in one online and dming another.

It was exactly the same process finding one in person as it was online - I went through a local forum for tabletop games to find the in person game and advertised/answered ads on roll20. If anything it was easier to find a group of like minded people to play with online as the pool to choose from is much, much bigger.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

i exclusively play d&d online through fantasy grounds. when my dm's play in person, they still use fantasy grounds to show the map and automate rolls and stuff. i just joined a group that plays in person at the dm's house, but they're all on the other side of the country so i play through discord and fantasy grounds. besides random technical difficulties it works out just fine.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I think at this point even if we were all sitting at the same table I'd still use roll20 stuff for maps etc

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do you guys know of anywhere to grab some decent images to turn into tokens? My wife is interested in learning how to play and Il I'm not looking to drop any big money into this unless she's really into it.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah just use Pinterest. Type general descriptions of the type of character you want. May want to add the descriptor "fantasy art." Like search "knight" or " warrior fantasy art."

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Do you guys know of anywhere to grab some decent images to turn into tokens? My wife is interested in learning how to play and Il I'm not looking to drop any big money into this unless she's really into it.

And

Can lookup portraits and the like on nexus mods.
Or for monsters the trove.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rime

<Donor>
Finishing up the Hoard/Rise of Tiamat campaign in the coming month. It was fun, though I am relatively sure our DM put more magical items in it than there are supposed to be. Not that I am complaining. Overall, the series was pretty good. Though there is lots of railroading (particularly with the Masks).

Supposedly, starting the newest Heist/Waterdeep campaign that takes you from 1-18 sometime next month.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Had a pretty dang epic session last night in my group. I've lurked D&D most of my life, but this has been my first campaign. Anyway, our heroes return expecting parades and instead we face tribunal for murder hoboing.
I talked our way out via a stream of role playing and persuasion / performance rolls. But dangit if the rl girls in the group aren't shitty lol. Everybody there is at least several bad player tropes (according to YouTube), but they're the worst. We have a barbarian that has the best stats by far but spends her time stealing things during action and wandering off to do her own thing and we have a thief who is playing a catperson that basically just lounges around and naps - even during the fight with the big bad. When we get back? the cat totally tries to throw everybody under the bus, shouting, "He did it! He did!." (luckily I wasn't the he). I miraculously rolled a nat. 20 with an uproarious cheer from everybody.
Tonight's session we got blindsided. The sessions have been lore heavy and we've been learning this unique homebrew world and the 9 tribes who run it. The six of us are each high ranking individuals in a different tribe with three remaining tribes have been the subject of intrigue. One wants to rule everybody, another wants us dead for murder hoboing, and the other are religious fanatics.
There's a very real threat going on that's on a very real timer, but even though the three parts of our main quest are pretty straightforward, side quests have been plentiful - helping allies tribes, uncovering and subduing one of the three deviant tribes, etc.
Well tonight we finally completed 2/3 of the prerequisite for 1/3 of the main quest: rescue the prince; defeat the miniboss.
There has been a pattern of facing a tribunal after main quest milestones. Sure enough that happened.
I took stage like I usually do at these but rolled poorly. Also, other players wanted to try the persuasion game also. I hate being the ballhog so I let them. It became a fun dynamic and we were turning it around - then we get raided by a people never before encountered. Roll for initiative.
They steal the prince. Mind you we have our armies here, so we give chase and it was a trap, we're completely surrounded by this completely new faction from across the sea. We've invested so much in this super continent with so much more to uncover that we got blindsided by essentially a dues ex machina.
It was heartbreaking. Volleys of arrows nearly kill us all. Some cunning plays and good rolls turn it around but then the army at our back ignore orders and close in our formation's flanks, betraying us. This hard fought ally joins the new arrival. We managed to get back the prince, before the doublecross.

The tatical player was disappointed because he didn't see it coming. We suspected one of the existing problem factions. But none of us suspected over seas slavers.

But then he noticed his girlfriend's expression. "Wait, you knew?! It must have been your mother, this was her doing, her idea?"

Well she reveals that during downtime, she communicated with the DM. The major subplot of figuring out who was assassinating the tribes that stirred up most of the sidequests and bullshit weren't any of the three npc tribes, but she!
She was the one who released three basilisks in the valley tribe killing them all. And she was the one who planted the evidence against the fanatical NPC tribe. She was the one. After every session, she apparently had private sessions with dm over messenger.

She was the one who threw us under the bus, "he did it, he did it." She was the one who would stealth away during battles and not contribute, only to return to take stuff.

But worse was she told us instead of letting us figure out the mystery. Two months of intrigue.

And why? First she said, "my character is chaotic evil!" And then she said she wanted to break the campaign.

It could have been cool. But it's not

j00t

as a DM i think anytime you have a player that wants to have side conversations to betray the party, you need to stop and have a conversation. there absolutely is a time and a place for inter-CHARACTER drama, but the PLAYERS shouldn't be completely blindsided. don't get me wrong, there's a game for everyone and every playstyle, but a conversation before the campaign starts with all the players needs to be had. obviously it requires a skillful hand to pull off... you don't want to just say "hey are you guys okay with backstabbing party members?" because that puts it in your mind and ruins the surprise if/when it happens. everyone's expecting it so everyone starts planning their own turn.

but some conversation about whether or not the players are okay with having their own personal agenda that MIGHT be at odds with someone else at the table. the problem is that if you don't talk about it in order to maximize the shock of it all, there may be one or more people who just don't find that fun at all. i've said it before, but when you sit at the table it's a social contract to make sure everyone has fun. the moment you have fun at someone else's expense you break that contract.

again, there are plenty of games that are extremely cutthroat and ruthless and the players like it that way. but they have the expectation that that is the kind of game they signed up for.

also. get out of here with that "my character is chaotic evil" nonsense. would you accept that reason from the dm? the big bad blows up a nursery and then writes a letter to the heroes that just says, "i'm chaotic evil, this is what i would do." no, that's stupid. and it's stupid when players say that. if you want to do something chaotic and evil, give me a reason that makes internal sense without using an alignment in the reasoning.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
as a DM i think anytime you have a player that wants to have side conversations to betray the party, you need to stop and have a conversation. there absolutely is a time and a place for inter-CHARACTER drama, but the PLAYERS shouldn't be completely blindsided. don't get me wrong, there's a game for everyone and every playstyle, but a conversation before the campaign starts with all the players needs to be had. obviously it requires a skillful hand to pull off... you don't want to just say "hey are you guys okay with backstabbing party members?" because that puts it in your mind and ruins the surprise if/when it happens. everyone's expecting it so everyone starts planning their own turn.

but some conversation about whether or not the players are okay with having their own personal agenda that MIGHT be at odds with someone else at the table. the problem is that if you don't talk about it in order to maximize the shock of it all, there may be one or more people who just don't find that fun at all. i've said it before, but when you sit at the table it's a social contract to make sure everyone has fun. the moment you have fun at someone else's expense you break that contract.

again, there are plenty of games that are extremely cutthroat and ruthless and the players like it that way. but they have the expectation that that is the kind of game they signed up for.

also. get out of here with that "my character is chaotic evil" nonsense. would you accept that reason from the dm? the big bad blows up a nursery and then writes a letter to the heroes that just says, "i'm chaotic evil, this is what i would do." no, that's stupid. and it's stupid when players say that. if you want to do something chaotic and evil, give me a reason that makes internal sense without using an alignment in the reasoning.
We raised our tribes, we invested into our culture. The dude who she did this to had big plans for his tribe. And to just tell us outside of the game. It's hard not to think poorly of her as a person.
I mean now that the emotion of the initial shock has faded, I can see how the story could be mended, but it may be tough sitting across from this person. My character is ignorant to this world shattering information, but surely it will affect my decisions as a player?

j00t

i think the best thing to do is to just have a group conversation about the whole thing. let bygones be bygones and roll with the punches, but let everyone know what kind of game you were expecting. honestly that should have been the first conversation the DM had, but i'm guessing that didn't happen for some reason. not blaming the DM or anything, i've been spoiled with having an amazing DM that taught me A LOT on how to properly run a functional game as a DM AND as a player.

but yeah, i'd talk with the group and just be like, look, it is what it is and we'll keep going forward (no retcons) but when _____ happened it made me feel ____ and i don't want to feel that way. i was thinking we could _____. what do you guys think? (you fill in the blanks)

it probably sounds cheesy on paper but in reality you are tactically not starting a pointed conversation blaming everything on one person. you ARE saying that events made you unhappy/uncomfortable/whatever and you are giving suggestions to correct that. if things don't go in a positive direction, specifically with the girl who did it all, you can point out what i said about decisions based on alignment. alignment doesn't dictate choices, choices dictate alignment. an evil person can still fight for peace and justice. a good person can still get swayed by an evil dictator. a lawful person can break the law and a chaotic person can still follow the rules.

i guess just think about it... if she were to give you a good, compelling argument for WHY she caused everything, would you be okay with that? are you upset by the seemingly casual explanation for why she did it? are you upset because she explained it outside the game?

some of those can be fixed, some of those can't. there have been times when i, as a player, have told the other players something that i wanted to say in game, in character, but it just didn't work out that way and i personally felt deflated when i was saying it, so it came out like a throwaway decision. is it possible that she didn't WANT to say it was her doing but she just has a terrible poker face? then felt cornered and didn't know what to say or do? maybe there IS a really good, in-game reason for why her character would do this, but she got a spotlight thrown on her when she wasn't expecting and just sort of blurted things out?

i'm just thinking outloud, but in-game, there's virtually NOTHING that can't be recovered from. outside game issues, though.. that's what kills parties

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
20190730_222014.jpg

Got carried away with what started as an exploration in minotaur horn designs.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
We haven't played since that last report, but I've found a route I think I could use to mentally and spiritually keep my side of the story going. I've really gotten invested in this and the Rian Johnson level of fuckery that was the last session isn't going to stop me. I give DnD credit for that. Ironically, though, is the leveling. the fiddle faddle of charts and progression gets in the way. I've casually looked for apps to keep everything together.

Any app suggestions?
(5e Sorcerer)