The D&D thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Awhile back someone posted a great link to a collection of all things roleplaying. I believe it was called The Eye or something. Thats no longer working. Is there another good site out there by chance?

I believe you want to Google "the trove"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
Awhile back someone posted a great link to a collection of all things roleplaying. I believe it was called The Eye or something. Thats no longer working. Is there another good site out there by chance?
Answer correctly and it will be revealed.

I have many tongues but cannot taste
By me, most things are turned to waste
I crack and snap, yet I stay whole
I may take the largest toll
I assisted all of the first men
And I will pay them back again
Around me, people snuggle and sleep
Yet run when I am released from my keep
I jump around and leap and bound
The cold man wishes I he had found

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
BAH! 12 minutes ago, I spend 20 seconds copy pasting that and somehow 12 minutes passed?! I call Shenanigans!

I'm very excited for my D&D game tomorrow. My players in 5e D&D got set up in a Mad Max style cart race, and we ended our last session with "You hear a horn blow, followed by another, and as the third blows the gate in front of your wagon falls open, you hear a barrage of sounds as your wagon lurches forward, followed immediately by several quick flashes of light, and several explosions".

So they are all pumped up about what to expect, and while we normally play every other Friday night, we moved this week to Sat starting at 2 until who knows when. I have 20 different themed wagons set up, all with different races of crew and different set ups, 4 will be eliminated immediately to reinforce that its a no holds barred race. My favorite creation is probably Carthula, which is just a big stone disk covered in runes with 5 cultists standing in a pentagram pattern, a slew of tentacles have emerged from under the stone which propel it forward, while gnashing mouths and eyes surround the edges. The cultists will cast spells at the PC's, but if the Pc's break the concentration of, or kill 3 of them, the cart itself will consume the rest and self destroy itself back into the Abyss.

I also like that one of the carts is 5 robot cats piloted by gnomes. The PC's will be able to hear the lions drivers talking to each other from megaphones, and once any of the 5 lions gets damaged enough, the black lion will announce its time to form up! and the lions will start turning into Voltron essentially.... getting left far behind in the race never to catch up. My players will crack up at that, they are pretty funny in that they don't really revel in winning a fight, but if they can push a guy into his own trap and then pants him, rob him, and leave, that's a successful mission.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm absolutely atrocious with photo editing. Would one of you be kind enough to Photoshop a medium sized shield in the left hand of the fighter? I'm really trying hard to accommodate one of my really poor players by giving her a mini that is close as I can get to resembling her character. It doesn't have to be a fantastic job. Anything better than I can do would be great. I'm not even going to post my attempts because they're ridiculously embarrassing.

Anyway, here's the art:

HE1.jpg

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not sure how the picture helps with the mini, but hopefully this is close to what you're looking for. Sorry the lighting's a bit off; I'm not super great at those kinds of edits.

HE1Shield.png

• 1Solidarity

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks a ton! It's infinitely better than anything I can do.

It helps because I'm competent enough with GIMP to resize it, print it on heavy cardstock, seal it with packing tape, and put it on a base.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
what do you dm's think about firearms? specifically the artificer having access to firearms but not really anyone else. gun powder is known about, but really only used in ships, otherwise it's catapults and ballista.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
what do you dm's think about firearms? specifically the artificer having access to firearms but not really anyone else. gun powder is known about, but really only used in ships, otherwise it's catapults and ballista.
Why not? If you have a player with an idea for a character I generally let them run with it.

j00t

honestly, i'm the player. certain character choices have a tendency to... well, create universe changing side effects. i mean, on one hand that's the name of the game, but i can imagine that it could cause some frustration for a DM who might want a certain theme to their stories. my DM is pretty great and we are playing in a part of his world that he hadn't previously put much thought into. he's said a few times that this is sort of an experiment and we are creating the history of this place together.

it's not about him not LETTING me do one thing or another... i just... i want to handle his world with care, you know?

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
DM here.

I honestly don't know how I feel about them. On one hand, I really dislike them for no other reason than I prefer a more traditional fantasy setting, but there are also more than a couple scenarios where they not only make sense, they add a lot of flavor. All considered, I generally avoid them.

j00t

yeah, that's sort of my concern. i mean, on one hand wizards weave magic into all kinds of weapons, so why not have a tinkerer weave magic into explosives? obviously it's a lot more complicated than that...

but then on the other hand firearms were the biggest reason warfare completely changing.

then on the OTHER hand, the implications of this picture are excellent.

latest

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ya, even in scenarios where I might let a player persuade me to allow them, I'd limit firearms to pistols. The difference between pistols and any rifle is HUGE. Much less a chance in hell that I'm introducing sniper rifles.

j00t

i think unless you're doing a game with some modern firearms, the big drawback to firearms is reload speed. you can't (or shouldn't be able to )reload a black powder gun in anything less than a full action.

other than that, i think pistol damage should be a small bump to a hand crossbow (d6 to a d8? maybe 2d4 for a slight bump in lower end damage?) and rifle could be something similar. the artificer gunsmith (2 years old at this point) gets a 2d6 rifle. the DMG has some crazy damage that i think should only be available (if at all) to extremely high level play.

i DO like the idea of having a sawed off shotgun with a 15 foot cone indiscriminate damage, 3d6?

but again, unless you're allowing some hinky homebrew talents, you just can't reload these things quickly. people would carry extra pistols because it just wasn't worth reloading them since it took so long. (if i were dm'ing i ABSOLUTELY would not allow someone to carry more than 2 loaded pistols at a time. i mean, i'd let the player do it but give them ample warning how bad an idea it is to just have loaded firearms juggling around on their person. and if they didn't listen i'd just have it randomly fire anytime they did anything that required a physical skill check)

edit: the other side of that is whether or not it scales. cantrips scale, fighters scale, rogues scale... but unless you're letting a firearm have some extra damage it'll turn into the hexblade problem where you build a class off of using a weapon but after like, lvl 10 there's NO REASON to be using a weapon since eldritch blast will outdamage it in just about every case.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been playing GMing and playing in a late medieval/early renaissance setting with primitive firearms- flintlock pistols and muskets only- for a while now and I love it. As a GM I was against it for many years but I'm discovering if done right it adds a lot to the game.

They are expensive and so is black powder, so that naturally limits them. On top of that fumbles/misfires can not only hurt but cause costly repairs.

They are fantastic for an opening volley where you switch to melee weapons as soon as combat is joined. Most of the time you fire once, drop the gun and go to your sword (or whatever). Long reload times and opportunity attacks during reloads make them impractical if you are in close combat.

Honestly my group has found them really useful for surprise scenarios- sneak in close, get a bead on your target, then blast away with devastating result. While they are still trying to figure out what hit them, charge in and begin chopping them up. Fun stuff.

Edit- forgot to mention another limiting factor. If the system is doing it right flintlocks have pretty shitty range. Between that and the slow reload they don't come close to making bows obsolete, since bows can fire much faster and from much farther out.

Last edited:

Rime

<Donor>
The Critical Role 'Gunslinger' class is not terrible, if you want to bring Firearms into a setting. Same with the Artificer, though they are significantly underpowered at higher levels.