Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
At what point did one of the characters give the goblins a 14 day ultimatum

• 3Worf
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 3 users

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
It was originally a competition module. I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone running a campaign where story was in the front seat and player character deaths were rare. I can't see ever running a first edition campaign but should something really unlikely occur I'd want to run it as some sort of "your minds are invaded by memories not your own" as the party falls unconscious and then goes through the terrible history of another adventuring group that sought fame and glory in the tomb.

Sorta like that Roy game in Rick and Morty. Exp to be awarded for how well the players do (to encourage them taking it seriously) but no real chance of their regular characters dying.
Never liked that module myself. The difficulty was completely trivial except for one deathtrap (the sphere) and a new made-up monster that was either ridiculously overpowered or a joke, depending on whether or not you knew the trick. Only monster worse that that is the @&@^$% cat-humping tarrasque. IIRC the only thing to fight in there was a multi-armed skeleton which was talked up as being bad-ass, while in reality it would be lucky to last a round.

I was actually silly enough to run it once. I warned the players it was supposed to be dangerous. So they used golems and move earth spells and simulacrums to just dig the whole place up to reveal the entire layout of the place, and then just amused themselves with stone-tell and such to find out what was inside each area then just broke in wherever amused them, clear out that bit, then rinse/repeat. Its was just silly, and not in the good way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
What started out as a simple chart to express just how my kobold is, here is my group.
nothing.png

Assassin, Ranger, Paladin, Bard, Thief, Druid.
Edit: Forgot the druid's squirrel and might as well add his iconic bear form

Schmeedles2.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I was actually silly enough to run it once. I warned the players it was supposed to be dangerous. So they used golems and move earth spells and simulacrums to just dig the whole place up to reveal the entire layout of the place, and then just amused themselves with stone-tell and such to find out what was inside each area then just broke in wherever amused them, clear out that bit, then rinse/repeat. Its was just silly, and not in the good way.

Anytime players start doing shit like this one of three things happen. 1. I realize way before we get to that point that I'm playing with dildo necks I cant stand and so I find a better group. 2. I realize my friends are tiring out in the current campaign so we wrap things up to start something new and fresh. 3. The players quickly learn that as smart as they think they are the main baddy (Me) is smarter and has prepared many ways to shut down their cheese.

• 2Solidarity

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Anytime players start doing shit like this one of three things happen. 1. I realize way before we get to that point that I'm playing with dildo necks I cant stand and so I find a better group. 2. I realize my friends are tiring out in the current campaign so we wrap things up to start something new and fresh. 3. The players quickly learn that as smart as they think they are the main baddy (Me) is smarter and has prepared many ways to shut down their cheese.
Remember that it was a one-shot, they were pre-warned, and I already thought the module was dumb and vastly overrated so I didnt care. In normal play they have time limits or other issues that mostly prevent that kind of thing.

The current version has been adjusted to no longer be vulnerable to that kind of thing (while still retaining the lame interior) with self-repair abilities and a convenient deus-ex-machina ethereal demon swarm around it to prevent people shifting in or digging it up, so while that works, sort of, it only does so by the brute-force application of levels of cheese that would make even Wisconsin blush. Its my opinion that you do not fight cheese with cheese, and you do not allow the NPCs to do anything that the players could not do themselves if they had the same levels and decided thats how they wanted to spend their time. (With the caveat that some of those things take more time than active characters have, in practical terms. Eg- vanishingly few characters can in practice spend 20 years building a flying castle. But they should be able to see how they could build it if they didnt have other things to do.)

• 1Solidarity

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tonight's session was so badass and epic I'm still buzzing about it, wanting to share. But I'm also drained and exhausted now that it's over.

received_2684997918279407.jpeg

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I haven't played D&D for probably over 25 years if not longer. I wanted to do some catch up reading on the rules and lore. I was thinking about buying the Monster Manual but I saw there are three other books called Xanathar's, Volvos and Mordekaineds monster books. What's the difference between Monster Manual and those other three?

• 1Like

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Monster Manual is the core bestiary. The other 3 books are accessories that have new / additional monsters, and options for player classes. All you need to play DND 5e is the PHB and the Monster Manual. The other books do add all sorts of new things though.

• 1Like

Ome

Molten Core Raider
If you are just starting up again my suggestion would be to grab either the 5E Starter set or the Essentials Kit. Also the basic rules can be downloaded online legally.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
So finally finished tomb of horrors

"1 of our 7 died when we used the wish gem which was cursed, right before we entered the final tomb, once we woke Accererack he screamed and immediately 3 of the remaining 6, including my bard, went down to 0 hit points, we had our tank, sorcerer and ranger sill up. He cast anti-magic on the sorcerer nullifying him, the fighter hit him so he flew up 25 ft and sucked her into his eye gem, lair action no one can be healed for a turn, those awake hit him a few more times, he sucks the sorcerer into his other eye, attacks the unconscious rouge which killed him, the cleric comes back up but again can't heal anyone, ranger keeps jumping attacking and saving against the legendary reaction attacks, before I can be healed the cleric gets soul sucked into a tooth gem, I made 2 death saves and failed 2, used luck to save final death save and was finally healed by ranger who was last one up, he gets sucked into a tooth gem, accerrak casts anti-magic at me, I counter spell and then use my scroll of power word kill, roll a 26 and it works, he was down to 67 HP. I spent the whole fight unconscious and my one turn I kill him, I then resurrect the rouge who wasn't sucked into a gem, he happens to be my initial party member, we realize we can't get off the island because we can't teleport and the tank had the folding boat, we release everyone else teleport to waterdeep and get the final party member resurrected at a temple. pretty slow dull module but the finale was worth it"

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
3-d printed a drawing of my character

received_253873739077793.jpeg

Feedle.gray.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm starting to look into playing a game of either DnD or Pathfinder with a couple of friends and my brother.
Online obviously. Roll20 seems like the way to go.

To be clear, I haven't played since forever, so I'm basically starting over. Same with the people I'm playing with. They know the game, understand the basics. We all started listening to Glass Cannon and now we want to play.

It's likely going to be up to me to DM otherwise it wont happen.

Is Lost Mine of Phandelver a good start?

I bought the D&D starter set a few months back and that's what came with it. I see it's in Roll20. I'm looking for easy to DM but fun for beginners.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm starting to look into playing a game of either DnD or Pathfinder with a couple of friends and my brother.
Online obviously. Roll20 seems like the way to go.

To be clear, I haven't played since forever, so I'm basically starting over. Same with the people I'm playing with. They know the game, understand the basics. We all started listening to Glass Cannon and now we want to play.

It's likely going to be up to me to DM otherwise it wont happen.

Is Lost Mine of Phandelver a good start?

I bought the D&D starter set a few months back and that's what came with it. I see it's in Roll20. I'm looking for easy to DM but fun for beginners.

Fantasy Grounds is what I would recommend purely because the Roll20 owners are fucking twats. I have not played it yet but I've heard numerous times Lost Mines is a solid adventure, particularly for new folks or people that have not played in a long time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I started playing a few months ago with some old WoW buddies. We got set up on Roll 20 and it has a lot of problems. I've never used the other one so I can't comment. We're at the end of the first campaign we've done and there's numerous lighting issues, map issues, lag issues, camera sync issues. Those are just the functional issues, I hate their interface too. You should not have to click 3 things to bring up your character sheet, especially when every action requires the character sheet, and then the character sheet covers the map instead of integrating into the interface. And some people get their character sheets fucked up and they just don't seem repairable, and some of the abilities don't calculate proficiencies right out of the box and have to be customized by the player. In short, it's annoying.

• 2Like

Krastalvo

Molten Core Raider
Fantasy Grounds is what I would recommend purely because the Roll20 owners are fucking twats. I have not played it yet but I've heard numerous times Lost Mines is a solid adventure, particularly for new folks or people that have not played in a long time.
Concur with Fantasy Grounds. I can't speak for the DM side, but Hatorade sung praises of it. As a player I found it easier to use than Roll20 with little to no issues.
Double concur with Lost Mines as a starter for both players and new DMs. It's engaging, and simple to follow.

• 2Like

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Yea I did lost mines for an experienced play group as our intro to 5e and they had a good time. It is written as an intro module so it is also great for beginners. I would definitely recommend it, as a lot of the other published modules do not hold the dms hand as well.

• 2Like