The D&D thread

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I'm a brand new DM and last time I played DnD was high school. But, we're all rookies so I think it will be fine? I'm relying on the fact that it's all new to us and exciting so we will build from zero. This Lost Mines of Phandelver seems like it's made for people like us. New, looking to try it out. We get to fight a dragon maybe, get some experience playing, see how we like it.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
pathfinder vs d&d 5th REALLY depends on what kind of mechanics you like. i'd say 5th is much more beginner friendly as the ruleset is very simple and straight forward. pathfinder lends itself to much more tactical battles as it allows for all kinds of pluses and minuses to rolls depending on all kinds of things (whether or not the target is flanked by multiple enemies, whether or not the target is "flat-footed" for that round, if the attacker is ranged and shooting at a target who is otherwise engaged in melee then the attacker would get -4 to their attack if they don't have the right feat, but the attacker might also get +1 to their attack if they are within 30 feet and have the right feat for that, etc)

pathfinder allows for the character to make extremely tactical decisions that can turn the tide of combat in their favor, but that also means that a single attack might be adding and/or subtracting 4 or 5 different modifiers PER attack. it can be extremely tedious and i imagine beginners could be very quickly turned off by being in the spotlight during their turn and their attack rolls on one creature turns into d20+3+2-4-1+1+2 while an attack role on another creature in that same turn is something different.

that being said, if that's the kind of game you're into then you'll have a good time. from what i've experience (which is limited) pathfinder focuses on the mechanics while 5th edition focuses on the DM telling a story. if you have a good DM, i personally would enjoy 5th edition better, but it puts ALOT of responsibility on the shoulders of the DM and it leaves open some pretty big risks of ruining a game if the DM is bad.

Are you talking about 1st or 2nd edition Pathfinder? Pathfinder 2nd is similar to 5th edition DnD with a bit more crunch.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I would base your decision on your group, as. a DM if you are constantly having to correct your players then go 5th edition. If you can trust your players and know they will do their homework between games then go pathfinder.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Are you talking about 1st or 2nd edition Pathfinder? Pathfinder 2nd is similar to 5th edition DnD with a bit more crunch.

i honestly completely forgot about pathfinder 2nd. i don't really know anything about that system

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Quick question about the online RPG game sites. Do you get tools like dice rollers and creature generators or do you have to get those from 3rd parties?

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quick question about the online RPG game sites. Do you get tools like dice rollers and creature generators or do you have to get those from 3rd parties?
Roll20 comes with free dice rollers. The monsters are behind a pay wall or you can create them for free. If you purchase a module, it comes with all the monsters.

My suggestion to anyone is to use roll20 if you are just quarantine gaming. If you plan on being in it for the long haul, do one of the other systems.

As far as map packs for lost mines that someone was asking about before, I found some good maps on a blog that gave directions of how to scale them correctly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I got two friends interested in tabletop games who have never played before. Specifically Delta Green. I told them to each buy a set of polyhedral dice....

They bought 100 D6 and 100 SETS of d4 - d20...lol

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rookie question. I can ask in the FG forums if you don't want me shitting up this thread.

How would I roll for initiative and things like a perception check on FG? Is it's just the abilities associated with it? Like roll Dex for init and Wis for Perception?

EDIT: Ok I see where you can do it as DM in the combat tracker for initiative, but do the players do it themselves or what.

checks.png

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Rookie question. I can ask in the FG forums if you don't want me shitting up this thread.

How would I roll for initiative and things like a perception check on FG? Is it's just the abilities associated with it? Like roll Dex for init and Wis for Perception?

EDIT: Ok I see where you can do it as DM in the combat tracker for initiative, but do the players do it themselves or what.

View attachment 266013
Yes, once in the combat tracker they just have to click the little die on the INIT tracker. Near the neg 1 in your example, can also make hotbuttons F1 through whatever. Save with manually rolling saves etc. You can also toggle the ability to roll just the monsters or everyone in the tracker.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Is there a place where you can get modules for these that is not the FG store?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
just finished our weekly game... we ended up taking a trip to the hells and got wrapped up in a an eternal chess match between the heavens and the hells. it's a long story, but the gist of it is that we need to find some artifacts that asmodeus is hiding throughout the 9 hells. we found 1/3 and ended up having a peaceful meeting with asmodeus, who very nicely asked us to hand over what we found and in return he would pay all our dues, nullify all our outstanding contracts in the hells and send us home. i'm playing a homebrew warlock (patron is the weave of magic itself) that has developed some psionic powers. the DM stated that i can have some very subtle abilities to read the surface thoughts of creatures and if i dig deeper i can pull specific information from that creature. however, the risk is that if i roll low (we have it sort of set up like a grapple check, except using arcana) then the creature could pull information from me, including permanent stat loss.

so, we are having our peaceful conversation with asmodeus and one of the party members asks if he knows where these other lost artifacts are. asmodeus smiles and says, "of course i do. i am the lord of this realm. i know where everything is." so i tell the group, "i'm about to do something incredibly stupid. brace yourselves." i then tell the DM i would like to read asmodeus' mind as soon as he mentions he knows where these artifacts are. everyone gasps and starts laughing in that "are you insane?" kind of way. so the DM calmly says, yes, please attempt this.

natural 20. with all the modifiers i ended up with a 36. our DM goes by the rule that a nat 20 doesn't mean auto success, but you can then add a d10 to your roll. DC 35 is basically considered an impossible DC. so the DM says that i pull out the locations of the items JUST before asmodeus realizes what i'm doing and closes off his mind. he knows that i've pulled out this information and is completely stunned that someone had the audacity to attempt it, and then had the skill to actually pull it off.

he then sweetens the deal he offered us, but i laugh and call him a chump.

so he leaves in a fit of anger, pointing out that there are laws against killing us and even the lord of the hells can't break them. BUT if... you know... someone decides to take matters into their own hands and kills us, then so be it. at which point, this hyena god... thing... shows up with a ton of fiendish hyenas. i cast reverse gravity and toss the entire horde up 100 feet in the air. the DM runs adjusted tables for falling damage to make things a little more realistic and i wipe out all of them except the leader, which our fighter action surges and 3 our of his 6 hits crit. our healer also cast holy weapon on him earlier so he does like 250 damage in a single round.

then some of the passerby's tell us we just killed asmodeus' dog and that he's going to come "john wick" us. a moment later and from one of the distant mountain tops we can hear a terrible rumbling and the words "They did WWHHHHAAAAT!?" can be heard that immediately becomes a thunderstorm.

the bard immediately casts "control weather" and turns the raging storm into a nice summer breeze in a radius of 5 miles.

the DM was like... this whole encounter was designed to let you know how serious things were down here. but then you all just nonsensed your way to victory.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
So Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 are the best virtual table top software or are there other ones too?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 are the best virtual table top software or are there other ones too?
fwiw, Roll 20 recently patched their lighting shit and it works much better now. That and the layout were my main complaints, and with popping the character sheet out to a new window it's a little better.

imo they should do a ground up redesign of that interface and integrate the character sheet into the side panel there, and a dark mode ption would be nice.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Just finished my first campaign. That shit was fun. We did The Sunless Citadel and then The Forge of Fury, took us to lvl 5. I played a cleric and was OP as fuck. Ended with 48 hit points and 21 AC. In the final confrontation with the dragon, we won, but it was sloppy. I fell in the water. <3 that water breathing potion.

We're starting new characters now and doing Ravenloft from lvl 1, pretty excited. Our DM said that those other two adventures we did were basically training wheels to learn the mechanics, and that with this one he's going to fuck us up. Doing a human thief this time, the cirminal/spy background looks awesome, I am pumped.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Just finished my first campaign. That shit was fun. We did The Sunless Citadel and then The Forge of Fury, took us to lvl 5. I played a cleric and was OP as fuck. Ended with 48 hit points and 21 AC. In the final confrontation with the dragon, we won, but it was sloppy. I fell in the water. <3 that water breathing potion.

We're starting new characters now and doing Ravenloft from lvl 1, pretty excited. Our DM said that those other two adventures we did were basically training wheels to learn the mechanics, and that with this one he's going to fuck us up. Doing a human thief this time, the cirminal/spy background looks awesome, I am pumped.

Doing Curse of Strahd 5th edition or the orginal in a different version?

Nola

Trakanon Raider

Nice what type of cleric you played? I been thinking about trying a Forge cleric.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Nice what type of cleric you played? I been thinking about trying a Forge cleric.
I did Life cleric with the intention of going full on healbot/supportbot. First time dnd, I know healing from mmos, so I figured it would map pretty well. However, I ended up being so goddamn tough, and with pretty decent damage, I was basically a front line facesmasher that would turn and throw a heal every now and then. Forge cleric looks similarly tough and badass. And tbh I didnt even use the Life domain healing skill because I misread the thing and didn't realize I had it until lvl 4.

I did get to "turn undead" on a room full of skeletons, and it was awesome. Only 3 died, though.

• 1Like