The D&D thread

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh, part of roleplaying is trust so that part I don't mind. Yes it is over a web browser which is why it's meh on tablets. I think there is a Kickstarter or just was one where they were doing a roleplaying app from the ground up.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Will have to check that out, good heads up. Although I suspect if it isn't designed around one specific system it won't be exactly what Im thinking about. Maybe.

As far as trusting your players... I find that players make "mistakes" quite a bit when adjusting their characters. Enough so that I usually have to do periodic checks to make sure stuff adds up right etc. Or they "forget" to erase money/expendibles etc. Obviously, a lot of these are legitimate accidents, but either way I like the idea of accountability when it comes to that type of thing. But that might be just me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
The dynamic lighting is the best feature I have ever encountered for ttrpgs. If I had tons of money, everyone at a face to face game would have their own console with dynamic lighting for the map that only they could see.
Yea getting to surprise people by playing hide and seek with the map and making people not all play humans is the best feature ever lol. The first time my power gamed rogue wandered into the dungeon to realize he couldn't see shit without lighting a torch made my day. Just not as easy to convey on a battlemap.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea getting to surprise people by playing hide and seek with the map and making people not all play humans is the best feature ever lol. The first time my power gamed rogue wandered into the dungeon to realize he couldn't see shit without lighting a torch made my day. Just not as easy to convey on a battlemap.
As a DM I don't care about it as much as a player. As a player it becomes so immersive, I love it!

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
we dont use that dynamic light but it sounds nice, i may need to push for it.

As for rolling stats and hps and all that at the table in public, and also DM having access to char sheets to make sure things are update , I think that makes everything more real. When I DM I make all my rolls public except the ones that must be hidden, like a failed find traps roll or hear noise. I want the players to know the dice are in charge.

I tried once to connect via Ipad to our R20 game and we could not get the sound to work. Luckily I'm mostly home now so just use the desktop.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
We have to remember that D&D has its origin in table top miniature war gaming. You talking about weaving a tale to players made me remember some things i've heard from others who play 1st edition but also use to play 5th, that a game of 5th edition is far more like telling a story than what happens in 1st edition.

This quote from above struck me:

In 1st edition there are plenty of times you CAN"T do anything or you announce you are just holding the lantern and keeping aware of your surroundings while your fellows fight (because your a mage and already cast your one spell for the whole day, for example).

The contrast between the two again reminds me of early EQ and later MMOs. In early EQ there are encounters you have no role in or you've depleted your mana and are sitting on your ass for 10 mins. In later MMOs the devs make sure "everyone is engaged all the time".

I just think its interesting how D&D has evolved over the years same as MMOs.

In 1st edition if you are reduced to zero hps (and up to -3 hps), even if you are magically healed and saved from death , your character can't do ANYTHING other than move at reduced speed to a place of rest and then must rest for a entire WEEK before they can do anything else. I can imagine 5th edition players flipping out when told, sorry your guy is now at the Inn for bedrest for the next 7 days. haha

p.s. in my group the classes and races in unearthed arcana are not allowed , because (like a EQ expansion..) the power creep is so vast between what is in there compared to the original players handbook races and classes. Why be a regular gnome when you can be a (unearthed arcana) Snerfneblin deep gnome and summon earth elementals!

Anyways like I said, im a hopeless gaming antiquarian. But if you like hardcore and gritty, join a 1st edition campaign that plays rules as written (by Gary). Its very fun.
I love 5th edition and Pathfinder 2e for what they are. But honestly the ball busting and danger of 1e is what truly makes me love the genre. This group of your's sounds like a blast.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love 5th edition and Pathfinder 2e for what they are. But honestly the ball busting and danger of 1e is what truly makes me love the genre. This group of your's sounds like a blast.

How does 2e compare to original PF?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
How does 2e compare to original PF?
Its a bit of an amalgamation of PF 1st and DnD 5th. Its like a crunchier DnD 5th with more character background choices and the like. The game is designed to go up to level 20 unlike original PF.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone nostalgic for RPG's that isn't currently playing, check out the Glass Cannon Podcast. They play Pathfinder but it's all very similar to me.

Give it a few episodes, it starts to really pick up. I'm about 80 episodes in now. They're really good at keeping things moving and engaging.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
If anyone wants to join a 1st edition D&D campaign on r20, even if just once as a guest, PM me and I can direct you to some that are solid and have my seal of approval. Everyone who claims to be a old school gamer should experience first edition just for posterity imo.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
About to do Rappan Athuk for PF 1e. Can't wait to start!! Ahh.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
If anyone wants to join a 1st edition D&D campaign on r20, even if just once as a guest, PM me and I can direct you to some that are solid and have my seal of approval. Everyone who claims to be a old school gamer should experience first edition just for posterity imo.

D&D or AD&D?

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I only ask because I do occasionally pull out the original red box rules (https://www.americanroads.us/DandD/DnD_Basic_Rules_Moldvay.pdf) and chuckle at how incredibly confused I was when I got it for my 10th birthday.

The scene in E.T. where they play D&D may be the single most influential marketing push in the history of geekdom.

I think I was in 5th grade when I got the basic book. This beauty here, which I still have. Captured my imagination and then played D&D (then AD&D) in jr/sr. high and a bit in college. Then life happens and did not get back into it until a couple years ago. (edit, I see you got the very same book lol)

1594133201248.png

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I only ask because I do occasionally pull out the original red box rules (https://www.americanroads.us/DandD/DnD_Basic_Rules_Moldvay.pdf) and chuckle at how incredibly confused I was when I got it for my 10th birthday.

The scene in E.T. where they play D&D may be the single most influential marketing push in the history of geekdom.
The '83 version of the Red Box was such a mind blowing thing to me as an 11 y/o when I picked it up at a flea market. I probably did the included solo adventure a dozen times, spent weeks learning all the rules by heart, and admiring Elmore's incredible art.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I didn't even know they redid it for the 83 version until today when I went looking for the link above. The first link I found was to the 83 one and I was thinking 'wtf is this amazing looking thing?? horeshit!!'

Soooooo many kids got that red box. For fucks sake I still have and use those pale blue plastic dice. I remember getting to this exact point in the Basic Rules and having my mind snap. It was like getting the first hit of melange or something to a kid who realized that this was nothing like Monopoly or Risk.

1594136794498.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I didn't even know they redid it for the 83 version until today when I went looking for the link above. The first link I found was to the 83 one and I was thinking 'wtf is this amazing looking thing?? horeshit!!'

Soooooo many kids got that red box. For fucks sake I still have and use those pale blue plastic dice. I remember getting to this exact point in the Basic Rules and having my mind snap. It was like getting the first hit of melange or something to a kid who realized that this was nothing like Monopoly or Risk.

View attachment 283610
There's been a bunch of revisions for it and there was at least one limited edition re-release a few years ago

Qhue

Trump's Staff
One of the best bits is the example they give for dungeon exploration that includes this segment:

1594142260320.png

Character just straight up dies and they don't even skip a beat before taking his pack and loading up his backpack with stuff.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users