The D&D thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
Week 5 of being back in the saddle, and I've gotta say, a hole I had in my life is filled. I had forgotten how much I really enjoy the game. LVL 9 Hexblade, and I'm the captain of an undead airship. Un-Life is good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I am looking for a little advice. My wife got a box of old campaign settings and box sets mostly from 2nd edition from her mom's house. I found several of them on ebay and they seem to range anywhere from 25$-150$, so we were contemplating selling them. I like DnD but I never actually play it so I doubt these would ever get used, and I might just keep them for our book shelves if they aren't worth the hassle to offload. Do I have anything here? Would I be best served taking them in to the local game shop? Not sure I want to go the ebay route just because of the fees and buyer issues I have seen with MTG cards.

NboEa1t.jpg

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I've sold mountains of DnD stuff over the years on eBay and it's always gone fine. I've had bad experiences with other kinds of items but I'd have no worries at all about unloading DnD stuff there. It's all easy to ship and the books can go media mail.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I am looking for a little advice. My wife got a box of old campaign settings and box sets mostly from 2nd edition from her mom's house. I found several of them on ebay and they seem to range anywhere from 25$-150$, so we were contemplating selling them. I like DnD but I never actually play it so I doubt these would ever get used, and I might just keep them for our book shelves if they aren't worth the hassle to offload. Do I have anything here? Would I be best served taking them in to the local game shop? Not sure I want to go the ebay route just because of the fees and buyer issues I have seen with MTG cards.

Your call most of those will sell for about 25 each, with the exception of Ravenloft can likely get 60-70 for it since it is hot right now. Mostly these go to collectors and not many people actually play them. I tried going back and they just feel so dated.

Wups I missed the Night Below, if complete that will be your most valuable at around 100.00

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
Feign folio and Deities and Demigods are worth quite a bit, I was smart enough to hold on to both of them.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Thanks for the input. I think I am going to try ebaying what I can before we move. I also have a lot of the old manuals. If anyone here wants first dibs just send me a pm.

So....Min/Maxing, Power gaming, Munchkin player wrecked our 3.5 game. SO, we switched to 5e, which I've never played before. Three games in and I'm SOLD. Such a good and balanced and simpler system. This feels like old school D&D. Love it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
I just started participating in a D&D campaign. It is more fun that I thought. We are doing the against the giants campaign. Killed the hell out of a fiend last night with my paladin. I was thinking about maybe doing the DMing myself. Perhaps creating my own campaign around a more sherlock holmesque setting where the characters have to solve a series of mysteries.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So....Min/Maxing, Power gaming, Munchkin player wrecked our 3.5 game. SO, we switched to 5e, which I've never played before. Three games in and I'm SOLD. Such a good and balanced and simpler system. This feels like old school D&D. Love it.

I can kinda guess but what did he do?

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
3.5 is the best for having mechanics available to create every character you can think of, but is also entirely dependent on a DM that can communicate acceptable power level of characters for the campaign, and players that are mature enough to show restraint in character creation. Using the 3.5 E6 system helps as well, but is still very breakable.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Out of curiosity, what characters do you think are not creatable in 5e, but are in 3.5?

Related: they've been pushing out testing UA stuff for a bunch of classes, adding 2-4 subclasses per. I think the 5e class/subclass system is brilliant for this.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Out of curiosity, what characters do you think are not creatable in 5e, but are in 3.5?

Related: they've been pushing out testing UA stuff for a bunch of classes, adding 2-4 subclasses per. I think the 5e class/subclass system is brilliant for this.

Anything is possible but things like eidolon summoner would be a pain in the ass, that and many 3.5 classes only do well a set of feats.

Remmy

Not exactly a "build" but more of my favorite "build flavor contributor" from 3.5 is the feat Knowledge Devotion. It gives bonuses between +1hit/+1dmg and +5/+5 based on knowledge rolls so you can build a character that Uses their brain to win fights! A nice flavor option that can also be plugged into many options to help you create this scene.
This is not to say 3.5 is superior to 5e, but with the wealth of content and options the potential for "mechanics" creativity is far superior. A crazy build can take 24+ hours of research to tweak and polish as you sift through the wealth of content available.

Last edited:
I can kinda guess but what did he do?

He made a ranger, that at level 12 was making like 5 attacks per turn, crit on 17+, pluses to hit were like +15, Damage also. It sounded something like, "Ok with my first attack I hit AC 28. Did that hit? Ok. That's 42 damage. Second attack...." etc. And also his AC was like 30. It was stupid, and ZERO fun. I was playing a fighter w/ some fairly respectable stats...and couldn't compare to it at all. I'll see if I can get a copy of his character sheet and post it.

Remmy

Yeah sounds possible depending on build. The following was an exercise to see how crazy I could make a wizard archer, typically I'll do a build to see the potential so i can dial it back to an appropriate level for actual play. This rough build uses a +1 adaptive Huge Great Crossbow with enlarge weapon cast to make it gargantuan. In actual play I would probably just be using a standard light crossbow or sling with way less min/max going on.

If all the shots hit, it averages something like 110 damage. Potential crit of 330 dmg or something, but thats nearly impossible. Reload wonkyness comes from Collar of perpetual attendance, along with Adaptive weapon shenanigans. Feat tricks at first level are from options to swap out familiar for a feat, and options to get fighter feats instead of wizard bonus feats.

Super xbow build

Lvl 6 Focused Conjuration Wizard 32 point buy Race: Glimmerfolk
Str: 10
Dex: 20
Con: 14
Int: 16
Wis: 8
Cha: 6

Weapon starting stats: Huge Darkwood Great crossbow (4d8 18-20 critx2) +1 Adaptive (56 pounds lol?)
Active effects: Alter self to dwarven ancestor(large), enlarge weapon spell (6d8),
Flame Arrow, Haste 3 attacks, bulls strength/muleback cords(pf)/lifting belt(pf)/ant haul spell(pf)

hit/damage
knowledge devotion +4/+4 (insight bonus)
Bab +3/+0
Dex +5/+0
Rapid shot -2/+0
Point blank shot +0/+1
Haste +1/+0
Size -1/-0
Greater MW spell +2 +2/+2
Hand crossbow focus +1/+0 (combination with adaptive allows free reloads)
Weapon (huge) penalty -2/-0
+11/+7

Full attack, 3 attacks, if all hit 18d8 + 21 + 3d6

Damage: (calculations done assuming both bolts at least roll a hit)
Averagenon crit:
Max crit :

Significant Defenses: Scintilating scales, haste, alter self (dwarven ancestor)
Haste +1 AC
Size -1
Mage armor +4
Dex +5
Natural +18
AC: 37, Touch: 23 incorporeal: 27

Feats:
1st: Point blank shot, Knowledge devotion, Collegiate wizard, Metamagic: extend spell, 2 flaws
3rd: Exotic weapon great xbow
5th bonus: Hand xbow focus
6th: Easy metamagic: extend spell

Knowledge checks
Collector of stories +5 competence
Tools (50g per knowledge) +2 Circumstance
Ability bonus +3 ability
ranks +9 ranks
Absent minded +1 Untyped

Last edited:

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Starting a campaign that will begin with the characters as 8-10 year old children in a small town.

They will have no weapons other than (Sticks slingshot etc) and no class/magic.

I need some NPCs for them to fight that would seem epic to a group of kids but would seem benign to an adult.

Nothing like orcs or goblins or anything "Lethal"