The D&D thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
yYCvVkL.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Starting a campaign that will begin with the characters as 8-10 year old children in a small town.

They will have no weapons other than (Sticks slingshot etc) and no class/magic.

I need some NPCs for them to fight that would seem epic to a group of kids but would seem benign to an adult.

Nothing like orcs or goblins or anything "Lethal"

5th edition? What race are the children, I assume all the same race since small town. Location is most important for NPC types, small town I picture forest so off the top of my head how about "The Badger and the Awakened Shrub" The party is out and about doing child like things when the shurbs themselves grab at them, what they don't know is it a benevolent shrub and it is really just trying to stop them from going near the badger den that has a fierce mom defending its young. Use the awakened shrub but give it a grapple restrain attack with a low DC like 6 or whatever is easy for children stats. The badger will give chase but not very far, if they kill the badger make them feel bad about the babies. If they take care of the babies and any of them grow up to be a druid/ranger or wizard they can have a badger friend/familiar.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tonight I am running an adventure in Pathfinder that is inspired by West World.

The group found an ancient map of a valley that they have been exploring for some time and this week they plan to explore an area marked on the map as " don't go here" the whole valley has been full of Demons and they have steadily been harassed by a gang of Tiefling horsemen known as the Shedders ( I wanted them to have the feel of a motor cycle gang so they have matching tats, brands and patches on their leather armor).

The group notices that all the attacks from the Tieflings come from the East and South almost pushing the heros towards the spot on the map.

The group find a sign saying Welcome to Whitefall and the whole area is covered in a thick fog ( anything past 20 feet has concealment and cant be seen past 40 feet) at this point the horses will be to uneasy to go forward and the group will have to decide which cohorts/followers to leave behind with them.

Whitefall will have a western feel and while in town they will meet Reggie the Zombie bartender- He shows up after the group is attacked by Daisy ( former whore now a Wight with monk levels ) and 3 Wights that once were lumberjacks. Reggie does not attack and is eager to tell them all about town offers drinks ( no matter what they order he gives them a single shot from a bottle of ever flowing rotgut) He also asks if the group is in town for the wedding.

The Group will meet several more interesting characters in town trying to figure out what caused this abomination like Levi ( the rat boy ) who pukes Plague rat Swarms onto the PC's from the rafters in a barn, Clair and Cora the ghost flower girls eager to take possession of one of the PC's and help him shave for the wedding, and Cosmo of cosmos Curiosities powerful undead Alchemist.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Bought a book on Amazon that has been really awesome

Table Fables: A collection of tables for the weary game master: Madeline Hale: 9781542678599: Amazon.com: Books

It's just a book filled with hundreds of tables of things from quest hooks to random encounters to menus at shops and inns.

It's been a life saver because I play with a friend who has a severe case of "search his pockets" syndrome

So having a huge list of random junk to give him makes us both happy

Any digital PDF and/or FG version of that planned that you're aware of?

Qhue

Trump's Staff
D&D was always good for practicing basic arithmetic skills. Woe be unto you if you were a magic user of any kind and couldn't add up the damage from your 10d6 attack spell in 3 seconds or less.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Hahah, I just spent several hours last night looking for a specific map, finally found it on that exact same site. I was thinking today that I maybe I would drop the link in here, but wasn't sure if it would be frowned on. Guess not!

And hot damn, I really want to run a game on my new game table here, but I insist on dynamic lighting. I was gifted Fantasy Grounds, but have never used it. Looking last night, Dynamic lighting is not an option currently, it's been promised for the next iteration... but that was 4 years ago, so don't hold your breath I'm guessing. I see Roll20 has it, but you have to pay a monthly subscription.. and I don't want any other features. I just want a tabletop I can move tokens around on with dynamic lighting. Skirmish VT also looks nice, but they cancelled a Kickstarter 6 months ago and haven't breathed a peep since as far as I can tell... so again, not holding my breath.

Looks like I may just have to pay for Roll20 for the foreseeable future?

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My DnD group got back together last weekend after a 21 month hiatus. 3.5 edition rules (best rules in my opinion), group of 6 with one person skyped in from afar via a pair of cameras, because you gotta have a dice cam.

There really is nothing that beats a good DnD group getting into the heat of dice rolling and role playing. Our current campaign will be closing out over the summer and I will be taking over as DM to put my dream campaign together for the fall, something I've wanted to run since I was 12 years old but never got the chance - a jazzed up version of 'Ruins of Adventure' (Pool of Radiance). I get hyped just thinking about it, it will be glorious!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
D&D was always good for practicing basic arithmetic skills. Woe be unto you if you were a magic user of any kind and couldn't add up the damage from your 10d6 attack spell in 3 seconds or less.

We had a dude that was terrible at simple math in our group. Guy couldn't add his spell damage for shit. When we started using combat maps he would fuck up his squares for movement rate and spell range/radius every time.

It got to be a running joke so that when it was his turn we would hang over the board watching him, waiting for him to misplace something or add something up wrong. It made him super nervous and slow. We'd yell "Hurry up godamnit!" and that's when he would inevitably fuck up and we would laugh at him.

Man, what good times.

Last edited:

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
And hot damn, I really want to run a game on my new game table here, but I insist on dynamic lighting. I was gifted Fantasy Grounds, but have never used it. Looking last night, Dynamic lighting is not an option currently, it's been promised for the next iteration... but that was 4 years ago, so don't hold your breath I'm guessing. I see Roll20 has it, but you have to pay a monthly subscription.. and I don't want any other features. I just want a tabletop I can move tokens around on with dynamic lighting. Skirmish VT also looks nice, but they cancelled a Kickstarter 6 months ago and haven't breathed a peep since as far as I can tell... so again, not holding my breath.

Looks like I may just have to pay for Roll20 for the foreseeable future?
Roll20 if you want to pay and for an easier interface, or else you could look into RPTools for a free virtual table top with a much steeper learning curve.