The D&D thread

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been on a Kickstarter backing spree over the last few weeks and this morning I decided to familiarize myself with some of the authors I hadn't heard of....I wish I hadn't.

I, obviously, know that D&D authors overwhelmingly lean Left, but I was caught completely off-guard by the sheer amount of mental-illness on their social media's.

I genuinely wish I could get over my enjoyment of being able to physically hold a hardback copy of a game supplement so I could just pirate everything.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Get the retro versions of games and play those instead. Every version of ADnD since 3.5 has been shit anyhow.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Get the retro versions of games and play those instead. Every version of ADnD since 3.5 has been shit anyhow.
3.5 was fantastic, but it eventually just became a massive algebra equation and died under its own weight.

4th, as most agree, was garbage because it tried mirror the PC MMORPG experience.

5e is pretty damn good (apart from the continual infection of wokeism) because the barrier of entry is very low, the system is extremely modular, and easily modifiable. It's probably my favorite edition (other than 2nd, which is likely more nostalgia than reality) because I can scale the complexity to suit the taste of each group I play with.

I have a massive physical library that includes stuff from every edition (AD&D to 5e) and I draw from nearly all of them to inform my campaigns with the most value coming from my 3/3.5 stuff.

I absolutely despise "woke" shit, but I won't lie and say that 5e isn't a great system, but it could be so much more. And honestly, I make the game 'worse' for myself by chasing answers to questions I know I won't like. I'm really not sure why I do it, but I suspect some part of me is hoping that there is a talented creator (that I have yet to discover/support) openly resisting the cancer. I spend a lot of money (usually, $200-$400 a month) on physical supplements and I'd buy everything those 'normal' guys/girls make to help ensure they're able to keep working.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
3.5 was fantastic, but it eventually just became a massive algebra equation and died under its own weight.

4th, as most agree, was garbage because it tried mirror the PC MMORPG experience.

5e is pretty damn good (apart from the continual infection of wokeism) because the barrier of entry is very low, the system is extremely modular, and easily modifiable. It's probably my favorite edition (other than 2nd, which is likely more nostalgia than reality) because I can scale the complexity to suit the taste of each group I play with.

I have a massive physical library that includes stuff from every edition (AD&D to 5e) and I draw from nearly all of them to inform my campaigns with the most value coming from my 3/3.5 stuff.

I absolutely despise "woke" shit, but I won't lie and say that 5e isn't a great system, but it could be so much more. And honestly, I make the game 'worse' for myself by chasing answers to questions I know I won't like. I'm really not sure why I do it, but I suspect some part of me is hoping that there is a talented creator (that I have yet to discover/support) openly resisting the cancer. I spend a lot of money (usually, $200-$400 a month) on physical supplements and I'd buy everything those 'normal' guys/girls make to help ensure they're able to keep working.

I sure hope you bought the wokesupplement that has the battle wheelchair, because my wizard is a trans disabled owlbearkin and your world sure as fuck better not be ableist, bigot!

*casts fireball at own feet*

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

My dm just started a patreon, basically just sharing his homebrew one shot adventures. He's absolutely vacant from any woke nonsense. People are still untrusting of Vistani, orcs are by and large evil. Obviously you have outliers... Some Vistani are extremely helpful and good natured but they still lean into the shady gypsy stereotypes.

I'm not shilling or anything, just pointing out that there are still some creators out there that don't buy into the woke narrative

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I sure hope you bought the wokesupplement that has the battle wheelchair, because my wizard is a trans disabled owlbearkin and your world sure as fuck better not be ableist, bigot!

*casts fireball at own feet*
I do, in fact, have that supplement. You'll be happy to know that the battle wheelchair even has an option for a piston-driven dildo in the seat that performs an amazing 20 revolutions with every foot traveled.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
I do, in fact, have that supplement. You'll be happy to know that the battle wheelchair even has an option for a piston-driven dildo in the seat that performs an amazing 20 revolutions with every foot traveled.

Now I’m cooking with gas! If I can research a spell for genital mutilation and start convincing villagers their children want to be the other sex, we got a campaign!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Started with cursed sex change belts now we here...
Great part is you can ignore whatever they are doing/saying you don’t like. Social elements are really easy to change, unless the campaign is based around being a SJW just change whatever you don’t like.

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
Started with cursed sex change belts now we here...
Great part is you can ignore whatever they are doing/saying you don’t like. Social elements are really easy to change, unless the campaign is based around being a SJW just change whatever you don’t like.

This is making me want to find a random DnD group somewhere and woke-sabotage the game world. Get all the men to change sex, Orc Lives Matter, need more goblin immigration, etc. Would probably be kinda fun for awhile, or just to see how long it would take for the DM to boot me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
This is making me want to find a random DnD group somewhere and woke-sabotage the game world. Get all the men to change sex, Orc Lives Matter, need more goblin immigration, etc. Would probably be kinda fun for awhile, or just to see how long it would take for the DM to boot me.
Gay Female Orc gender fluid Anti-anti-paladin, they called me Blubush Purpletusk but that was my slave name you will call me Orihime-chan...

• 2Worf

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Heh, instead of being kicked, you'd probably get hailed a messiah with a religious following.

• 2Worf

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Played a one shot Sunday that might keep going. Rolled the character race/class/background.

Ended up with a rock gnome, barbarian outlander background, that was literally raised by wolves.

Rolled for is name on a Orc name generator and got Brug.

He's basically feral with sharp filed teeth; Scratches behind his ears with his feet; Uses a battle axe like a great axe; Camps by digging a hole in the ground and covering himself with leaves; Eats live squirrels and rats and has a thing for turning his enemies into hats.

He was going to be killed by orcs but proved himself to be so vicious that they let him join their warband. That lasted for three days before he got distracted and chased a rabbit only to get separated from them. The rabbit was killed by a hunter, who Brug followed back to town. While wandering the streets he saw some sausages hanging in a kitchen window at a tavern, where the rest of the party had gathered.

Now that he's level 2 he just recklessly attacks every round.

He set off like 5 traps in a row and saved agaisnt all of them, so I just explained it that the traps were designed with medium sized creatures in mind and kept going off over his head.

Probably my favorite throwaway character I have made in a long time.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Played a one shot Sunday that might keep going. Rolled the character race/class/background.

Ended up with a rock gnome, barbarian outlander background, that was literally raised by wolves.

Rolled for is name on a Orc name generator and got Brug.

He's basically feral with sharp filed teeth; Scratches behind his ears with his feet; Uses a battle axe like a great axe; Camps by digging a hole in the ground and covering himself with leaves; Eats live squirrels and rats and has a thing for turning his enemies into hats.

He was going to be killed by orcs but proved himself to be so vicious that they let him join their warband. That lasted for three days before he got distracted and chased a rabbit only to get separated from them. The rabbit was killed by a hunter, who Brug followed back to town. While wandering the streets he saw some sausages hanging in a kitchen window at a tavern, where the rest of the party had gathered.

Now that he's level 2 he just recklessly attacks every round.

He set off like 5 traps in a row and saved agaisnt all of them, so I just explained it that the traps were designed with medium sized creatures in mind and kept going off over his head.

Probably my favorite throwaway character I have made in a long time.
Why on EARTH would you throw this character away?? That sounds like a blast to roleplay.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
Why on EARTH would you throw this character away?? That sounds like a blast to roleplay.

I was going to rag on him for coming up with the incredible unique idea of a barbarian who recklessly attacks every round, but the rest of it sounds pretty funny so I let it go.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This came up on my tiktok and it seems like a fun idea

Screenshot_20210528-175916.png

Rime

<Donor>
Maybe for a quick one-shot for when your regular group cannot get together... but for a character I have to/intend to play for an extended period? No way.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This Summer, the Drow are going to have their lore 'expanded' (retconned) so that they're not an evil race. There's massive settlements of 'good' Drow in the extreme North/South of Faerun that are so remote that almost no-one has had contact with them. /rolleyes. The dozens of books, supplements, and accessories released over the last three decades say otherwise, be they can be damned.

This social justice, woke trash is so goddamn transparent and pathetic.

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 7 users