The D&D thread

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not a kid. The game actually just sucks. There are so many bad things about it. You hipsters don't even play the game. You house rule the shit out of it and pretend your home brew is awesome.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
Having played every edition of D&D, I would have to agree that 1st edition was very rough and you needed to house rule a significant amount of things to make it playable. To today's gamer, it would be a mess that would never fly. The first AD&D edition was better, the 2nd AD&D edition was more palatable and the first 'step' to a wider audience - it is also the edition that almost everyone I know remembers 'fondly'.

• 2Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Having played every edition of D&D, I would have to agree that 1st edition was very rough and you needed to house rule a significant amount of things to make it playable. To today's gamer, it would be a mess that would never fly. The first AD&D edition was better, the 2nd AD&D edition was more palatable and the first 'step' to a wider audience - it is also the edition that almost everyone I know remembers 'fondly'.
Agreed.

I've also played every edition and 2nd was a head and shoulders above 1st. I have very good memories of it. It didn't hurt that guys like Elmore and Parkinson did a lot of the art.

• 6Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not a kid. The game actually just sucks. There are so many bad things about it. You hipsters don't even play the game. You house rule the shit out of it and pretend your home brew is awesome.
I definitely play, my guy.

I have enough material to fill this bookshelf twice over but I only keep the most commonly used/campaign relevant stuff on the shelf.

20210112_234151.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Not really on topic but....

This guys channel is pretty killer and has some awesome background music, sound etc for gaming. I don't even play D&D anymore, but I'm building my own tabletop game atm and if I ever just need some certain kind of push into a frame of mind this can kind of give me a creative nudge. Doing Demonic themed ideas/brainstorming and putting on the soundscapes of the different planes of Hell tracks he has for instance has really helped get that into my head to get some ideas flowing.

Even as a visual artist, sound probably helps me more than anything to feel immersion. I tend to match musical/sound ambiance even when reading to the scene in the book as well --it isnt necessary but it really creates a more memorable experience. Anyways, sure most of you have stuff like this but enjoy if not!

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
DM continued to flake out on our Rappan Athuk game. We got to level 7 and even saved Marthek. Almost through Upper Temple of Orcus. Now I am the DM since we all quit the guy's game, lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

Wrong, I play strictly RAW/BTB. And i'll take the game as the original masters made it than putting stock in your "it sucks" hot take.

• 1Ice Burn
  • 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wrong, I play strictly RAW/BTB. And i'll take the game as the original masters made it than putting stock in your "it sucks" hot take.
Don't forget your fedora on the way out....

Look, the game just isn't a good game. Game mechanics have come a long way in the last 40 years. Races only being able to be certain classes and only able to advance to certain levels is the kind of anti-roleplay that I would think a sophisticated role player like yourself would be totally against.

• 1Worf

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Don't forget your fedora on the way out....

Look, the game just isn't a good game. Game mechanics have come a long way in the last 40 years. Races only being able to be certain classes and only able to advance to certain levels is the kind of anti-roleplay that I would think a sophisticated role player like yourself would be totally against.

D&D is basically a game built on Tolkien's foundations and legends. In Tolkien's world humans (Atani) are given a separate gift from all the other races. This quote is Eru (god) speaking about his children (elves, men, etc):

But to the Atani I will give a new gift.' Therefore he willed that the hearts of Men should seek beyond the world and should find no rest therein; but they should have a virtue to shape their life, amid the powers and chances of the world, beyond the Music of the Ainur, which is as fate to all things else;

The other races content themselves and are bound by fate and are happy with it. Humans though, are not bound by fate and always restless , never content in this world. This is the lore reason why humans can keep advancing in levels past most other races.

Game play ways, its to give the player characters more ways to differentiate themselves one from the other.

• 1Like

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
D&D is basically a game built on Tolkien's foundations and legends.
Not to get in the middle of whatever this is but are you sure about that? Do you have any sources that state that’s what GG designed the game as? I’ve watched videos from people who have worked at TSR/WoC that state otherwise. Granted the main person I’m referring to never worked with GG, but just did a bunch of research for a series of videos on the history of D&D.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Not to get in the middle of whatever this is but are you sure about that? Do you have any sources that state that’s what GG designed the game as? I’ve watched videos from people who have worked at TSR/WoC that state otherwise. Granted the main person I’m referring to never worked with GG, but just did a bunch of research for a series of videos on the history of D&D.
He was much more inspired by the sword and sorcery stuff. Conan and The Grey Mouszer etc. You can tell that by how the first editions play out. The adventure and riches are the reasons they expect you to do any of it. The feel is very gritty sword and sorcery and less Middle Earth in my opinion. The later editions are nothing like the original editions in feel.

The game was a combo of that and the tabletop miniature war games.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
He was much more inspired by the sword and sorcery stuff. Conan and The Grey Mouszer etc. You can tell that by how he first editions play out. The adventure and riches are the reasons they expect you to do any of it. The feel is very gritty sword and sorcery and less Middle Earth in my opinion.

The game was a combo of that and the tabletop miniature war games.
Jives with what I’ve seen as well.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm showing up super late and I don't like Fyff but he's right. First edition is really, really bad. I know people that only play 1st edition and you can have a good time playing it but it's still bad.

Game play ways, its to give the player characters more ways to differentiate themselves one from the other.

phb 1.png

Sign me up for some of that "look at how I differentiated my character" level 5 hard caps. And don't go posting that Unearthed Arcana revised table bullshit. I know purists that don't even allow that tome at all because it's "power gaming." This same book has the nerve to fully flesh out the Monk class up to level goddamn 17 requiring 3.250 MILLION exps (the gnome warrior you rolled capped out at 18001) including needing to duel another monk for every level above seven. Good fucking luck on that. Fucking no one gets to those levels legitimately. Bards are broken, dual-classing is broken, Psionics are bizarre to include in a first book (and they've been broken in basically every iteration of the game) and general class balance is nonexistent. Roll exceptionally well at character creation? Something that is 100% random? You get bonus experience points for every single game session you ever play on top of your character just being objectively better at their core functions. Save or die (also save or get fucked) is garbage. Monsters like rot grubs or carrion crawlers are Fuck You made flesh.

You want to sit down with some friends, roll up some toons and hunt down the local town's goblin infestation? The game is serviceable. You want to have the traditional gaming experience where you advance from low level up to high level? High level is around level nine and the entire thing goes off the rails soon after. The original modules hate your guts personally and death rides tall in the saddle.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I'm showing up super late and I don't like Fyff but he's right. First edition is really, really bad. I know people that only play 1st edition and you can have a good time playing it but it's still bad.

View attachment 342164

Sign me up for some of that "look at how I differentiated my character" level 5 hard caps. And don't go posting that Unearthed Arcana revised table bullshit. I know purists that don't even allow that tome at all because it's "power gaming." This same book has the nerve to fully flesh out the Monk class up to level goddamn 17 requiring 3.250 MILLION exps (the gnome warrior you rolled capped out at 18001) including needing to duel another monk for every level above seven. Good fucking luck on that. Fucking no one gets to those levels legitimately. Bards are broken, dual-classing is broken, Psionics are bizarre to include in a first book (and they've been broken in basically every iteration of the game) and general class balance is nonexistent. Roll exceptionally well at character creation? Something that is 100% random? You get bonus experience points for every single game session you ever play on top of your character just being objectively better at their core functions. Save or die (also save or get fucked) is garbage. Monsters like rot grubs or carrion crawlers are Fuck You made flesh.

You want to sit down with some friends, roll up some toons and hunt down the local town's goblin infestation? The game is serviceable. You want to have the traditional gaming experience where you advance from low level up to high level? High level is around level nine and the entire thing goes off the rails soon after. The original modules hate your guts personally and death rides tall in the saddle.
I agree with all your points and still enjoy the early editions for what they are. 2nd being my favorite of them. That all being said most games never get above 10. Even Wizards of the Coast Surveys and Data prove that. Which is why the books and stuff early on got wonky high up. They never played that high of a level. Its just not practical at those levels even in todays "balanced" games.