The D&D thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Already made a map that has animated full color lighting, locked doors, triggers that auto-pause the game when a PC steps on an area, and directional sound that has definitive origin points on the map.
I'd be interested in seeing it, if you'd be willing to share.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5e.tools has been my go to recently. Everything in an easy to use and good format.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Tried a new RPG yesterday: Delta Green. Basically, it's a kind of X-files meets Cthulhu. You play an agent of the Delta Green shadow organisation that recruits from other places (such as good hackers, professors of history and the occult, FBI agents, etc) and sends them in teams to investigate shady shit. It's a simple system (far easier than D&D or Pathfinder). Basically it runs on a D100 "blackjack" system, so say you have Sneak trained to 60%, if you roll a D100 and get 61+ it's a fail, but 60 and under is a success. Now, if an enemy is rolling against you, the higher you are before you "break" your trained number is better.

This game is more about investigation, piecing together puzzles and such than combat, and is a theatre of the mind setting. No miniatures or grid maps needed.

It's probably not the sort of game you want to play for a long campaign (6+ months at a sitting) like D&D, but I think this may well be our group's new "go to" game for when we want a quick break from heavy fantasy RPG for a setting or two, or for when we can't get the full gang together. From what I see it seems to be oriented around doing one off missions that last for 3-4 hours, or one session. Recommend taking a closer look at it.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They probably got popped by games workshop, they were hosting all kinds of 40k, wh fantasy and age of sigmar rule books.
Fortunately, that's not the case. I found out yesterday the site will be back up. They're just doing some content updates and addressing a few leftover problems from when they swapped databases last year.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Tried a new RPG yesterday: Delta Green. Basically, it's a kind of X-files meets Cthulhu. You play an agent of the Delta Green shadow organisation that recruits from other places (such as good hackers, professors of history and the occult, FBI agents, etc) and sends them in teams to investigate shady shit. It's a simple system (far easier than D&D or Pathfinder). Basically it runs on a D100 "blackjack" system, so say you have Sneak trained to 60%, if you roll a D100 and get 61+ it's a fail, but 60 and under is a success. Now, if an enemy is rolling against you, the higher you are before you "break" your trained number is better.

This game is more about investigation, piecing together puzzles and such than combat, and is a theatre of the mind setting. No miniatures or grid maps needed.

It's probably not the sort of game you want to play for a long campaign (6+ months at a sitting) like D&D, but I think this may well be our group's new "go to" game for when we want a quick break from heavy fantasy RPG for a setting or two, or for when we can't get the full gang together. From what I see it seems to be oriented around doing one off missions that last for 3-4 hours, or one session. Recommend taking a closer look at it.
They also have a system based in the 1920s/30s Call of Cthulu that we are about to start this Sunday actually. I have listened to a few Delta Green actual play podcasts and it sounds incredibly fun. But can't beat your character being a peeping tom milk man based in a small town in Vermont, will be interested to see how quickly he is murdered.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider

I listen to the Glass Cannon Podcast regularly, that's based on Pathfinder but they have a whole network of games now. Delta Green was one of them. I'd link to it but it's Patreon content.
Very cool feel to it. In one episode someone wrote down a series of numbers, and just looking at the numbers had the characters rolling sanity checks. Then they investigated a crime scene where someone killed a bunch of people with a shotgun and it was all linked to that same number series. Crazy stuff.

• 2Like

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that’s the real play I listen to as well. They really have some great personalities. Except Ellie

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The son of Gary Gygax, inventor of D&D, is resurrecting TSR, the original company that published D&D. Somehow he pissed off the cancel squad. 😢

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The son of Gary Gygax, inventor of D&D, is resurrecting TSR, the original company that published D&D. Somehow he pissed off the cancel squad. 😢

I would love to see the TSR of old rise from the ashes, but it's not going to happen because Luke is a massive SJW faggot. You don't have to take my word for it-- there are plenty of podcasts where Gygax jr. makes it crystal clear that he intends to include real-world social activism in his games. As a small example, there's a recent podcast where Luke stated that he wants to get away from having different races entirely. I mean that's the obvious next step in the SJW playbook and I suspect we'll some some form of that trash in D&D 6e. Just homogenize everyone and everything. That way no one is 'above' or 'below' anyone else and everything is 'equal.' Right? heh...

Luke should just leave his father's legacy at TSR alone because he's undoubtedly going to tarnish it. Even if Luke wasn't a mentally-ill Leftist, he's still an incompetent businessman. He couldn't even appropriately handle his own Kickstarter.

TSR is going to be DoA once people realize that the 'new' TSR is going to follow the same dogma that has infected WoTC and many 3rd party creators.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I did a little research and it looks like Luke has little-to-nothing to do with the new TSR. Ernie Gygax is heading it up, but I have very little knowledge of him so I can't comment on what that might mean.

*Edit*
I did a little more digging and it looks like Ernie is based. Maybe there's hope!

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
There are a number of videos on Xptolevel3's channel that are entertaining, but I'd avoid his social media at all costs. It's stereotypical, Leftest mental-illness.
Yeah he looks like the type you would want to punch.

• 1Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I found this while cleaning out the garage. I found it initially when cleaning out my parents house. It was bought new when it came out. For some reason the character sheets had slipped my mind.

IMG_20210705_160243_01.jpg

16255193792931515404107827010052.jpg

• 8Like
  • 2Weird Boner
Reactions: 9 users

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
Damn, Guurn, that brings back memories!

Anyway, I'm thinking real hard about getting back into D&D, as either a player or DM (always DM'ed back in the day for friends). But I have a question for all those who have made the move to digital tabletops: why is there an obsession with pre-creating maps for the players? I know they can look really cool, but don't they totally break immersion? "Oh look, I've conveniently found this map to guide us and it even shows where all the furniture is!" I can't wrap my head around it. In the old days we handed the players a sheet of paper and told them to make their own map. (Yeah, yeah, get off my lawn.) If I end up as DM again, I would seriously consider not pre-creating maps but instead opening a whiteboard and letting the players do the work. (The VTT would be used as a dice roller, data resource, etc. - everything but the guided map.)

Or would modern players just reject that outright? If you don't bring the fancy bling, are they going to lose interest?

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>

Anyway, I'm thinking real hard about getting back into D&D, as either a player or DM (always DM'ed back in the day for friends). But I have a question for all those who have made the move to digital tabletops: why is there an obsession with pre-creating maps for the players? I know they can look really cool, but don't they totally break immersion? "Oh look, I've conveniently found this map to guide us and it even shows where all the furniture is!" I can't wrap my head around it. In the old days we handed the players a sheet of paper and told them to make their own map. (Yeah, yeah, get off my lawn.) If I end up as DM again, I would seriously consider not pre-creating maps but instead opening a whiteboard and letting the players do the work. (The VTT would be used as a dice roller, data resource, etc. - everything but the guided map.)

Or would modern players just reject that outright? If you don't bring the fancy bling, are they going to lose interest?
Because players can control tokens with limited vision and sight lines, making that scouting rogue without dark vision feel claustrophobic, so it is fairly immersive. You can stick pillars, doors, or other obstacles in the way or hide monsters to pop up on them and shit. The map making is a pain in the ass though to be fair.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

Maybe I'm not getting what you are saying, but in most cases the map remains dark until the players explore it, so the GM creating a map doesn't mean the PCs know where anything is. You also have several options with how you want to handle parts of the map the PCs have already explored and moved on from. You can leave the already explored sections visible but "greyed out" so the players can keep track of the dungeon layout but they won't see what is happening (as far as creature movement) in areas where they don't currently have LoS.

You also have the option of just keeping everything not in the PCs LoS dark. This way if the PCs move on to a different area, they will have to remember (or map themselves) how to get back out. I've done this a few times and it was a lot of fun watching the PCs try to find their way out in a hurry while being pursued by things that would eat them if they were caught.

I started GMing long, long before digital tabletops. I've done both ways and I can tell you hands down digital TTs are much, much better than the old whiteboard/gridmap shenanigans. Especially when you add in dynamic lighting etc. If anything, it's much MORE immersive than the old way.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Has anyone found a new location for The Trove (or a replacement for it), now that the old site has been offline for a while now?