The D&D thread

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Create Custom Avatar from Text is pretty cool, quick and easy way to generate some unique avatars.
1638967487241.png

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I back a shitload of D&D projects so I honestly went to the page thinking I may offer support even if the product wasn't my speed, but I don't want any part of 'Wokesong.'

Here's an excerpt from the campaign:

"We’re not going to appropriate anyone’s cultures or experiences, so we couldn’t, shouldn’t, and wouldn’t do this without diverse writers, developers, artists, and consultants."

The ENTIRE premise of cultural appropriation is idiotic and anyone that pays homage to it is a fucking moron.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On a similar subject : Dungeons & Dragons: Wizards of the Coast Removes Problematic Lore

This seems to be an overreaction... a very large overreaction. Beholders are bad! Its good to have an example of bad!
Absolutely disgusting. Fortunately, even the morons on Reddit feel that this is a pointless overreaction.

Heh, WotC gutting lore for "sensitivity" reasons and Paizo is literally no longer going to use the words "Golem" and "Phylactery" because they think "it might" offend Jews.

Fuck all of them. Every. Last. One.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So ridiculous. The game that parents hated has now become the game run by parents.

• 2Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So ridiculous. The game that parents hated has now become the game run by parents.

I'm genuinely and totally confounded by the fact that so many companies believe that walking, face-first, off the figurative cliff to appease the woke mob is the correct business decision.

I play D&D weekly and will continue to do so for years to come but, at this point, a significant part of me wants WoTC to go bankrupt, no matter how unlikely.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm genuinely and totally confounded by the fact that so many companies believe that walking, face-first, off the figurative cliff to appease the woke mob is the correct business decision.

I play D&D weekly and will continue to do so for years to come but, at this point, a significant part of me wants WoTC to go bankrupt, no matter how unlikely.
Nice thing about DnD is that they can go bankrupt and you can keep playing forever, there is so much old shit you can adapt or just run Your own thing in whatever world you want or create your own. The best games I have played and ran are where I just built a detailed world and then let the players do whatever they want, as long as I put enough into the world I could pivot to whatever they threw at me

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice thing about DnD is that they can go bankrupt and you can keep playing forever, there is so much old shit you can adapt or just run Your own thing in whatever world you want or create your own. The best games I have played and ran are where I just built a detailed world and then let the players do whatever they want, as long as I put enough into the world I could pivot to whatever they threw at me
Yep. Agreed.

Even without WoTC, there's so much inspirational D&D material online that no DM or group could ever come close to exploring it all. Not to mention, decades worth of physical material. I love collecting D&D books but, to be frank, I've found both of WoTC's last two books, The Wild Beyond the Witchlight and Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos, to be garbage. I know they've got an audience, but I'm definitely not part the target demographic for those products.

Your comment about fleshing out your setting resonates with me. I always run homebrew campaigns (with the occasional idea pulled from good material) in official settings and those type of campaigns are A LOT easier to run and manage because you know everything about your creation instead of having to read and memorize enough of someone else's material in order stay ahead of the party. It's incredibly destructive to immersion when the game grinds to a halt after the DM says "Hang on, I need to read about this part." That's one of the situations I desperately try to avoid as a DM. Because, as a player, I'd never want the DMs lack of preparation to be that transparent. That said, I have been caught with my DM pants down a few times where I had nothing prepared for the unexpected direction my players went and my creativity reservoir was, both obviously and painfully, empty on those days. Those are the sessions I dread because they make me feel completely incompetent. Thankfully, such sessions relatively rare, but most of the credit goes to my players because, over the years, the VAST majority of them are excited to follow the narrative hooks I offer them.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

This isn't the same as the 'black people are orcs' complaint.

All that quoted text ultimately says is that the 'Oriental Adventures' and similar supplemental material was really 1-dimensional and lame, which is actually quite true. It's true of a lot of 'adapted' folklore, even white people's adapted folklore. Stuff in the standard Monster Manual for ages based on Celtic/Gaelic folklore is often incredibly boring compared to the actual material it's based on, for instance. (Basically every fantasy creature from Gaelic folklore is scary as shit and EVIL AS FUCK, compared to the rather tame versions presented in the MM.)

I think it would be interesting to see more authentic versions of supplemental materials based on the different folklores of real-world cultures. They would probably be both more interesting and scarier. These would make good new products to sell, and if true to their historical source material, not actually be 'woke.'

That said, I always kinda hated playing in long campaigns that were based on some fantasy version of a particular real-world culture, though they could be very fun as one-shots or short-duration campaigns. That material was interesting to use to supplement regions of homebrew worlds, but still had to be heavily adapted to avoid feeling generic as fuck. I prefer playing entirely homebrew campaigns, and every campaign I ever ran myself ended up being some kind of mix of steampunk/aetherpunk before that stuff became so trendy. The biggest argument I ever had in a D&D game was when someone kept trying to insist on playing a samurai in one of my games, and I kept trying to work with them to adapt it to fit my campaign in some sensible way, and they called ME a racist for *not* including a stereotypical Asian setting somewhere in my world. This person was what we would consider today to be a white shitlord like most of you.

• 1Dislike

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I got gargantuan tiamat for Christmas. I just got to open it up today and it's fucking broken in the box lol. The tail is messed up and doesn't fit and the torso was broken off the base because one leg is angled wrong. Not gunna lie kinda disappointed.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>

this is why they do it. Because tons of npcs will still support them, because thats what theyve done for a long time and will continue to do just because

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
this is why they do it. Because tons of npcs will still support them, because thats what theyve done for a long time and will continue to do just because
I guess I'm guilty of being one of the NPCs because I buy every hardback that WoTC publishes for D&D because I'm a collector. However, I also pirate the absolute fuck out of D&D material; including a lot WoTC stuff.

All that said, I'm getting incredibly close to completely turning off the purchase-spigot because the official material continues to get objectively worse and I already have more resources to draw from than I could ever dream of using.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The official material has been fucking terrible since 3.5, change my mind.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I am a firm believer that ALL of the dnd material, official and otherwise, should be taken as opportunity for inspiration AT BEST.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I am a firm believer that ALL of the dnd material, official and otherwise, should be taken as opportunity for inspiration AT BEST.
Exception that proves the rule: The Planescape box set.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Like any other company, HR gets staffed by a mix of blue hairs and Karens who then make it their mission to both wokify the place and bring more of the same in the front door. Gaming companies are more susceptible due to the age demo of their market and the big push by SJWs to take over gaming. But overall this is hardly unique to DnD.

Quite honestly the last RPG system I liked was the 40k RPG which is over a decade old at this point. Most RPGs the last two decades are either woke trash or shitty boring/unbalanced systems. I basically run home brew for my group using occasional source material for adventure ideas, but you can't even buy a generic adventure supplement without a bunch of woke shit stuffed into the fucking material these days. Example, I bought a book of premade small adventures and maps and the authors felt it necessary to make a random NPC generator that the first two tables were d100 gender and sexuality generation. I don't know how any civilization survives on that fantasy world, because straight people are in the minority going by that fucking table.

Best you can do is grab some old 3.5 books like Mist suggested and just ignore the newer bullshit when you can.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like any other company, HR gets staffed by a mix of blue hairs and Karens who then make it their mission to both wokify the place and bring more of the same in the front door. Gaming companies are more susceptible due to the age demo of their market and the big push by SJWs to take over gaming. But overall this is hardly unique to DnD.

Quite honestly the last RPG system I liked was the 40k RPG which is over a decade old at this point. Most RPGs the last two decades are either woke trash or shitty boring/unbalanced systems. I basically run home brew for my group using occasional source material for adventure ideas, but you can't even buy a generic adventure supplement without a bunch of woke shit stuffed into the fucking material these days. Example, I bought a book of premade small adventures and maps and the authors felt it necessary to make a random NPC generator that the first two tables were d100 gender and sexuality generation. I don't know how any civilization survives on that fantasy world, because straight people are in the minority going by that fucking table.

Best you can do is grab some old 3.5 books like Mist suggested and just ignore the newer bullshit when you can.
Agreed.

Fortunately, I already own literally 95% of 3/3.5 material in hard/softback.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I'm curious if history will repeat itself and D&D serves as the intro/gateway into TTRPGs and then people branch out from there to more interesting systems/settings?

I was playing in a D&D zoom game for a couple years but then the existing GM wanted a break so I took over with a new steampunk setting using the Earthdawn rules and everyone seems much more engaged.

• 2Like