The D&D thread

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
This is precisely the situation I'm talking about. That added structure ignited their imagination in ways that just did not happen before.

Minions is another of the 4e innovations that I just saw Matt Mercer tweet about as someone came up with a 5e homebrew implementation of that whole system. In 5e nearly every fight ends up being a 'boss fight' because trying to deal with lots of little dudes is a collosal pain in the ass. Minions was a nice closed-form solution that let players take on lots of baddies without the GM just having to improv their way through the game mechanics.
Yup. I always throw in fodder guys here and there just for my pcs to toss aside joyously. Then yeh there's always boas fights. Or something like am encounter I'd do with pseudo phases. Or a crazy dynamic that happens during the fight to mix it up. Which is usually due to something the pcs did.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Eh. I've had white jock dudes say the same thing though. While this may be showcasing things through a 'woke-ish' lens, I think the universal appeal of the game as a creative / social outlet is at the core of it's modern success.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
To be the hero you have to do heroic things.

Bitching about your pronouns is not heroic.

Just stunning and brave.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh. I've had white jock dudes say the same thing though. While this may be showcasing things through a 'woke-ish' lens, I think the universal appeal of the game as a creative / social outlet is at the core of it's modern success.
I have no doubt that's happened, but his comment is coming from an entirely different place. For the 'jock,' the skepticism stems from the suspicion that he's not sure he'd fit in with 'nerd' culture. For the Asian woman, it's clearly about being oppressed as a "PoC whaman." The White Manz was keeping her down.

There are a lot of reasons for D&Ds success over the last few years, but forcing the DIE (diversity, inclusion, and equity) religion up people's asses has had nothing to do with it. In fact, it's evaporated faith in the company for a significant portion of WoTCs former fanbase.

If you don't know how absolutely infected WotC has become with the mentally-ill woke religion, you're not paying attention. The company is completely overrun with blue-haired xirs that are running GoFundMes to cut their dicks off, openly celebrating historical psychopaths like Stalin, and defending pedophiles as MAPs (minor attracted persons).

Last edited:

Qhue

Trump's Staff
On a different note : I'm not sure how I feel about the nat-20 changes. Codifying the nat-20 = skill success rule is natural, but making spells with hit-rolls no longer benefit from nat-20 seems like a significant nerf. I get that they are making these changes due to more sources of inspiration and hence advantage resulting in more common nat-20s, but I already think that advantage/disadvantage is too impactful in the modern game.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On a different note : I'm not sure how I feel about the nat-20 changes. Codifying the nat-20 = skill success rule is natural, but making spells with hit-rolls no longer benefit from nat-20 seems like a significant nerf. I get that they are making these changes due to more sources of inspiration and hence advantage resulting in more common nat-20s, but I already think that advantage/disadvantage is too impactful in the modern game.
It's probably not as big a 'nerf' as you think. The number of spells with to-hit rolls is a fairly small number. I think Cleric's have less than 10 in their entire spell list. Regardless, I don't plan on making changes to the way Nat 20s work in my game. I like Nat 20s being auto hit/crit for attacks, but I despise the idea of it being auto success for skill checks.

Apart from that, l have looked over the what's available in the new rules and there are a number of subtle changes.

They've added some new conditions (Slowed), expanded on others (Grappled, Incapacitated). That won't do much at my table because I've already had those additions as well as a dozen or so others inspired by the A5E ruleset and dozens of other resources.

My houserules document has gotten so large that it's basically a new edition of 5e, but I've kept everything within the 5e framework while making things a lot more interesting for my players and making the game more difficult because 5e is just too forgiving out of the box.

The last two additions I've made to my campaign have been adding Martial Maneuvers for all Martial classes. Which are basically abilities that are powered by their Hit Dice instead of just using them to heal up between fights. And I've also added Mental Exhaustion to run in parallel with Physical Exhaustion.

The campaign is just under a year old and my players will hit level 10 next session (with plans to complete at level 15-16). Fortunately, they all seem to love the massive additions I've made to our game, otherwise I would have wasted an absolutely ridiculous amount of time piecing everything together.

Last edited:

Warpath

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They literally cannot make content without some woke nonsense. Less than 30 seconds into the fucking video there's an Asian women claiming that "she never felt that someone that looked like her could be the hero in D&D."

Jesus, fuck...shut up.
sorry to parachute in here, but there are literally hundreds of examples of asian heroes in fantasy. asian mythology is some the best shit out there. this woman is just a pathetic whiny loser. a damaged individual who repeats 'the line' on cue

what a sad existence these people have created for themselves to live in

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Sorry to parachute a bit, but that one was too good:

FapOUMUUUAAN478.jpg

• 2Worf

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
sorry to parachute in here, but there are literally hundreds of examples of asian heroes in fantasy. asian mythology is some the best shit out there. this woman is just a pathetic whiny loser. a damaged individual who repeats 'the line' on cue

Exactly.

p.s. As a self-professed spelling-Nazi, it burns when my typos (women*) get snagged in quotes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There are a lot of reasons for D&Ds success over the last few years, but forcing the DIE (diversity, inclusion, and equity) religion up people's asses has had nothing to do with it. In fact, it's evaporated faith in the company for a significant portion of WoTCs former fanbase.
Maybe they identified that the former fanbase was what was preventing growth of the playerbase... 🤔

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Maybe they identified that the former fanbase was what was preventing growth of the playerbase... 🤔
They didn't. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

D&D used to be stereotyped as a thing for nerds. Video games also used to be for nerds. Then we had a couple of generations growing up with video games, and then people started to say, "Hey I grew up playing video games and I'm not a nerd!" The overlap there, memes, internet communication letting shut-ins get out of their shell and gush about their hobby online, some good LOTR movies, WoW & other fantasy games. Pokemon probably played a HUGE role by being a mainstream fantasy phenomenon that entire generations grew up and loved (acceptance of their fantasy stuff led to growing acceptance of other fantasy stuff, like D&D). So did the MCU because comic books were "nerd stuff" too.

Back in 2005 when I was working at EB Games in a ghetto ass mall, even the wanna be thugs didn't shit on D&D once they had an idea what it was really like.

"Isn't D&D for nerds?"
"Nah bro did you see those Lord of the Rings movies or play World of Warcraft?"
"Yeah man those movies were pretty good."
"It's like that but we just hang out around a table and fight monsters and explore dungeons but we use dice instead of a video game. Half the time we're just having fun, kind of like a poker night where you just hang out and play games."
"Aw that's straight man. I didn't know it was like that."

By the early 2000's when people were questioning D&D it was because they were curious about it, and the huge cultural shifts made them question the old stereotypes. That curiosity led to acceptance, which led into trying it, which turned into, "Hey this is actually a lot of fun to play with friends!"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They didn't. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

D&D used to be stereotyped as a thing for nerds. Video games also used to be for nerds. Then we had a couple of generations growing up with video games, and then people started to say, "Hey I grew up playing video games and I'm not a nerd!" The overlap there, memes, internet communication letting shut-ins get out of their shell and gush about their hobby online, some good LOTR movies, WoW & other fantasy games. Pokemon probably played a HUGE role by being a mainstream fantasy phenomenon that entire generations grew up and loved (acceptance of their fantasy stuff led to growing acceptance of other fantasy stuff, like D&D). So did the MCU because comic books were "nerd stuff" too.

Back in 2005 when I was working at EB Games in a ghetto ass mall, even the wanna be thugs didn't shit on D&D once they had an idea what it was really like.

"Isn't D&D for nerds?"
"Nah bro did you see those Lord of the Rings movies or play World of Warcraft?"
"Yeah man those movies were pretty good."
"It's like that but we just hang out around a table and fight monsters and explore dungeons but we use dice instead of a video game. Half the time we're just having fun, kind of like a poker night where you just hang out and play games."
"Aw that's straight man. I didn't know it was like that."

By the early 2000's when people were questioning D&D it was because they were curious about it, and the huge cultural shifts made them question the old stereotypes. That curiosity led to acceptance, which led into trying it, which turned into, "Hey this is actually a lot of fun to play with friends!"
Not really sure how that disagrees with anything I said.

Changing how products are marketed changes who buys the product, period. No one admits to themselves that they've been sold, but they have. Adopting a much broader branding and marketing strategy for D&D, MTG, Marvel, etc, has a lot to do with the current makeup of the fanbase, full stop. Advertise to the customers you want to have, not the ones you already have.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'll also say that the two largest driving forces behind the mainstreamification of all things nerdy has to be Youtube and Twitch. The companies that figured out how to market/shape a fanbase on those two platforms through branding and influencers saw their product fanbases expand rapidly and dramatically. And yes, showing the inoffensively-pretty-rainbow-people actually using your product in a live setting, rather than pretending to use it in poorly put-together TV or magazine ad (looking at you, Everquest!) did a lot to destigmatize those products.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider

I don’t think it’s necessarily that she’s Asian that she didn’t feel represented. You’re right on the point about lots of Asian heroes. I think it’s more so that she’s a dweeby looking fuck which I think plenty of people can relate to not feeling heroic or represented.