The D&D thread

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
They won't all be white, but they will all be idealogues, people churned out by the universities with degrees in victomology and Cultural Marxism. I've seen a few of them.

I'd be willing to bet 75%+ of them will either be white or a clear white mix.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In the most recent playtest packet for OneD&D, WotC 'bravely' announced that they are moving on from using "race" for the far more 'inclusive' and 'safe' term of "species." Admittedly, in a vacuum, it's an innocuous change, but it's not in a vacuum and the reasoning behind the change is what infuriates me.

I cannot put into words the amount of hate and disgust I have for the people that not only drive these changes, but also the spineless, limp-wristed, faggot soy-creatures that usher them into the game. I genuinely feel like a bad person when I honestly consider the violence I would willingly engage in with these people, but it's not primarily due to the destruction of one of my favorite hobbies, it's because of their destruction of culture.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
In other news -- some friends of mine are at PAX Unplugged and gave D&D Onslaught a whirl and said it was actually pretty fun.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
So I got into map making awhile back using photoshop. I feel like its getting pretty close to done but I want to get any suggestions on ways to improve it, things to add/remove etc. Thanks ahead of time for anyone willing to comment.

Sorantyr.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
So I got into map making awhile back using photoshop. I feel like its getting pretty close to done but I want to get any suggestions on ways to improve it, things to add/remove etc. Thanks ahead of time for anyone willing to comment.

View attachment 446028

looks great, nice job. Only thing I’d mention is the northeast border of wailing dreads could maybe use some blending between the colors, as it appears artificial? Unlike the mountains or rivers that might make sense to go from one color to the other so drastically.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

View attachment 446028
It's not an art style I prefer, but I still think it looks great.

I also agree that the transition between a couple of the biomes could use a less harsh transition. I can tell from the way you've drawn the rest of the map that the rivers and mountain ranges are supposed to be 'enough' and that could be the case, but generally speaking a dramatic shift between biomes happens slowly over miles.

My only other criticism, even if minor, is that the entire map looks very 'condensed.' Particularly when I use the scale from your legend.

Regardless, like I said, it still looks great and if you're a DM I have no doubt your players would really appreciate it.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thought you guys might enjoy this. Comes out March 2023:

View attachment 446272
Is that poster real? Unfortunately, I think it is because those are the characters in the trailers.

It's so bad that its almost a meme of itself. Of course it checks all the mandatory woke boxes.

Feminized, low-IQ, white male 'hero' - Check.
Strong, don't need no man, woman-of-color 'hero' - Check.
White, male villain - Check.
Non-binary/trans, PoC 'hero' - Check.
Competent, but submissive male, PoC sidekick - Check.

After a second look I don't see the asian or wheelchair accessible dungeon so this movie will probably end up causing the woke mafia to call for blood.

It's an inarguable fact that Hollywood is completely incapable or producing a good D&D movie and/or series.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I'm trying to roll some characters for 5e. Where do i get the skill bonuses? I found where I get to select skills based on race, class, and background, but I can't find where the bonuses come from. It doesn't look like it comes from the stat listed next to it because on some of the pre-rolled characters I've used those numbers didn't match up.

For example Deception (cha). On one of the prerolled sheets it a +5 while the cha bonus is only +3.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
In the most recent playtest packet for OneD&D, WotC 'bravely' announced that they are moving on from using "race" for the far more 'inclusive' and 'safe' term of "species." Admittedly, in a vacuum, it's an innocuous change, but it's not in a vacuum and the reasoning behind the change is what infuriates me.

I cannot put into words the amount of hate and disgust I have for the people that not only drive these changes, but also the spineless, limp-wristed, faggot soy-creatures that usher them into the game. I genuinely feel like a bad person when I honestly consider the violence I would willingly engage in with these people, but it's not primarily due to the destruction of one of my favorite hobbies, it's because of their destruction of culture.
i've thought about this recently... i think a lot of it comes from the history that dnd had in the past. it was something that people were highly protective of because of how society at large looked at it. if you had a regular group you played with, you NEVER talked about it in the wild because of how strong of a reaction you'd get. either people called you devil worshipers or just made fun of you constantly for it. we became gatekeepers not for exclusivity, but as a survival response.

but the unfortunate consequences of that is you had this great game that you love that you couldn't really share with people. and people that would also love it couldn't get exposed to it. i think about all the people in my life as well as celebrities like deborah ann woll who LOVES the game, but for so long just had no exposure. you'd LOVE to play with them, but you kept it from them out of just sheer fear.

that's not an okay thing, obviously. so then things like critical role come along, as well as a whole bunch of actual play series and suddenly it's cool to play dnd (and other ttrpg's as well). suddenly it's okay to talk about it without getting ridiculed and socially ostracized. so you look at your gatekeeping and say, i don't have to do that anymore, it was harmful to the community. but then something, somewhere goes wrong and you swing so hard in the other direction that you have NO standards and you don't stand up for anything and it becomes completely antithetical to the game. in fact it's not even ABOUT the game anymore. half the people that argue for inclusion don't even play, i'd wager, because these things they are trying to include have ZERO impact on the game itself.

like those cultural sensitivity people they hired... their entire job is built on finding fault. if they don't find issues, there's no reason to keep them around. they aren't going to pay someone to just sit in an office doing nothing. well, they will, but again, all of that has NOTHING to do with the game itself. that has nothing to do with a group of friends doing a dungeon run and seducing the beholder and shooting magic missiles into the darkness.

5e is going to be remembered as the system that stopped actually being dnd and started being a social argument.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

I'm trying to roll some characters for 5e. Where do i get the skill bonuses? I found where I get to select skills based on race, class, and background, but I can't find where the bonuses come from. It doesn't look like it comes from the stat listed next to it because on some of the pre-rolled characters I've used those numbers didn't match up.

For example Deception (cha). On one of the prerolled sheets it a +5 while the cha bonus is only +3.
i'm not ENTIRELY sure what your are talking about... but i THINK where the numbers wouldn't line up is if your character has proficiency in a certain skill. so, deception (cha) for example. if your character has 16 charisma, he'd have a +3 bonus to any charisma skill (deception, persuasion, performance, etc). However, if they have proficiency in one of those skills, like, from a background or whatever, you would also add your proficiency bonus. at lvl 1, your proficiency is +2. anything you are proficient in would get that bonus. so, making an attack with a weapon you are proficient in, making a saving throw you are proficient in, using a skill you are proficient in, etc.

so at lvl 1, a character with 16 or 17 charisma who is proficient in deception, would have a +5 to his deception (barring any other skills or items or abilities that would add to that).

does that answer your question?

j00t

Is that poster real? Unfortunately, I think it is because those are the characters in the trailers.

It's so bad that its almost a meme of itself. Of course it checks all the mandatory woke boxes.

Feminized, low-IQ, white male 'hero' - Check.
Strong, don't need no man, woman-of-color 'hero' - Check.
White, male villain - Check.
Non-binary/trans, PoC 'hero' - Check.
Competent, but submissive male, PoC sidekick - Check.

After a second look I don't see the asian or wheelchair accessible dungeon so this movie will probably end up causing the woke mafia to call for blood.

It's an inarguable fact that Hollywood is completely incapable or producing a good D&D movie and/or series.

i don't fully disagree with your assessment... but... i don't think you can count the "feminized, low-iq, white male 'hero'" as following the narrative... at least not all by himself. feminized and low iq is the starting description of every bard that ever lived. bards are awesome, but they are all metrosexual morons.

also, who is the non-binary/trans poc? i don't know who you are referencing?

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
i'm not ENTIRELY sure what your are talking about... but i THINK where the numbers wouldn't line up is if your character has proficiency in a certain skill. so, deception (cha) for example. if your character has 16 charisma, he'd have a +3 bonus to any charisma skill (deception, persuasion, performance, etc). However, if they have proficiency in one of those skills, like, from a background or whatever, you would also add your proficiency bonus. at lvl 1, your proficiency is +2. anything you are proficient in would get that bonus. so, making an attack with a weapon you are proficient in, making a saving throw you are proficient in, using a skill you are proficient in, etc.

so at lvl 1, a character with 16 or 17 charisma who is proficient in deception, would have a +5 to his deception (barring any other skills or items or abilities that would add to that).

does that answer your question?
Is proficient the same as having the skill? Or are you saying that we have all of the skills on the sheet and get to use the stat modifier automatically, and those proficiency just adds more?

I actually played my first couple games like that, but I could have sworn in the last game the DM told me if I didn't have the skill selected on the sheet, i didn't get to roll it. For instance a perception or investigation check.

j00t

Is proficient the same as having the skill? Or are you saying that we have all of the skills on the sheet and get to use the stat modifier automatically, and those proficiency just adds more?

I actually played my first couple games like that, but I could have sworn in the last game the DM told me if I didn't have the skill selected on the sheet, i didn't get to roll it. For instance a perception or investigation check.
so officially, if you aren't proficient in a skill, you can only use it with disadvantage. if you are proficient you can roll regularly as well as give the "help" action to allow someone else who is proficient in that same skill to roll with advantage.

some DM's allow anyone to roll and don't really get nitpicky about having proficiency or not. some DM's go by the rules as written, some DM's don't allow you to roll at all if you aren't proficient.

and so to answer your other question, "it depends?" let's go with deception again. same example, you have a +3 but are not proficient. you say, i want to lie to the cute bartender and tell her i'm super rich and have a big dong. but you're not proficient in deception so you roll at disadvantage, but still get to add a +3. if; however, you ARE proficient in deception, you can roll for deception (straight roll) and add your charisma bonus (+3) and add your proficiency modifier (you are lvl 1, so +2) for a total of +5.

now, maybe your friend, who is an excellent wingman, is behind you nodding to her and miming how big your johnson is (don't ask how he knows). your friend is proficient in deception so the DM allows you to roll deception (+5) at advantage.

you still roll double 1's and she laughs and tells you to pay your tab and to go home with your boyfriend.

and that's how skill checks work in dnd.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i don't fully disagree with your assessment... but... i don't think you can count the "feminized, low-iq, white male 'hero'" as following the narrative... at least not all by himself. feminized and low iq is the starting description of every bard that ever lived. bards are awesome, but they are all metrosexual morons.

also, who is the non-binary/trans poc? i don't know who you are referencing?
If it wasn't following the narrative he could have easily filled one of the other male roles, but they specifically placed him in the most feminine, goofy, non-threatening role in the 'party.'

Make no mistake. The role to race/sex relationship was carefully considered.

The non-binary/trans is the Druid (not pictured). I got the PoC part wrong, it's a tiny white girl that looks like a 12 year-old boy.

Last edited:

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Skill checks, like Deception, get their modifiers from the ability score it's based on, as well as the proficiency bonus of the character (if the character has proficiency in the skill).

In your example of Deception, which is based on Charisma, the character would add their Charisma bonus to the roll. Let's say the character's charisma is 17, they'd have a +3 bonus. Characters without proficiency in the skill they're checking do not receive the proficiency bonus.

To put it into context,

A 5th level character with proficiency in Deception and a 17 Charisma would have +6 to the Deception roll, but the same character without proficiency in Deception would have a +3 to the same roll. The level 1 (+2 PB), pre-rolled character has a 16 or 17 Charisma (+3 bonus) which is the +5 total you're seeing next to the Deception skill.

These tables show the bonuses for level and attribute. There are other things that can impact these rolls, but generally speaking, PB and stat bonus are the two most common modifiers.
1670368825153.png

1670369339746.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user