The D&D thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

Interesting read. I've seen the '70% of Hasbro Value' statement before and I don't know if its true. I DO know that Hasbro has done a completely shit job of cross promoting / monetizing WOTC over the years. I mean they crossed Transformers with My Little Pony before they did D&D. It can be argued that they still havent as the 'transforming' D&D toys for the movie are called 'Dicelings'
I think they are naive to think tanking DnD products will have the effect they want. Shareholders are there to make money. You start losing money in products and they are going to want that money to come elsewhere, ex OGL 2.0 .

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I think they are naive to think tanking DnD products will have the effect they want. Shareholders are there to make money. You start losing money in products and they are going to want that money to come elsewhere, ex OGL 2.0 .

This was my first impression as well.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Doesn't the OGL 2.0 require people to buy in? So the assumption would be if they're willing to boycott the movie, they'll obviously boycott the OGL?

Qhue

Trump's Staff

This one is better and seems more honest. Interesting that responsibility is moving down, not up, the chain of command. Still doesn't address the full degree to which they have alienated their consumer base.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

This one is better and seems more honest. Interesting that responsibility is moving down, not up, the chain of command. Still doesn't address the full degree to which they have alienated their consumer base.

Lots of fine stuff here including.

1674089006094.png

What I want is someone with some fancy initials next to their name explain what the fuck that leaked document was and how it came to be.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Lots of fine stuff here including.

View attachment 453931

What I want is someone with some fancy initials next to their name explain what the fuck that leaked document was and how it came to be.

This whole thing just reminds me of the PayPal $2500 fine bullshit. Shit got leaked, people threw a fit and cancelled their accounts, company backpedals, company waits for grumbling to die down and boom the $2500 fine bullshit is back, but no one cares anymore because people have goldfish memories. Can almost guarantee everything that was in the leaked document is exactly what they want, but they'll throw a bone to the consumers for a bit to get them to shut up, but all of that monetization crap will be back in some form.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I canceled my Paypal account after umpteen years on the second time so at least this goldfish was watching but yeah. We've got a roadmap for what they want and they're not going to just stop wanting it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff

On Virtual Tabletops:

What is permitted under this policy? Using VTTs to replicate the experience of sitting around the table playing D&D with your friends. So displaying static SRD content is just fine because it’s just like looking in a sourcebook. You can put the text of Magic Missile up in your VTT and use it to calculate and apply damage to your target. And automating Magic Missile’s damage to replace manually rolling and calculating is also fine. The VTT can apply Magic Missile’s 1d4+1 damage automatically to your target’s hit points. You do not have to manually calculate and track the damage. What isn’t permitted are features that don’t replicate your dining room table storytelling. If you replace your imagination with an animation of the Magic Missile streaking across the board to strike your target, or your VTT integrates our content into an NFT, that’s not the tabletop experience. That’s more like a video game.

There it is. That's where they want the D&DBeyond VTT to differentiate it from other VTTs

Also means Solasta is 100% fuxored

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It will impact some products but that's not particularly offensive.

• 1Seriously?

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Does anyone know this Chris Cao? His pedigree of being involved with DC universe Online isn't awful, but also not the best I suppose.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It always mystifies me how some people manage to land in positions of authority like that. It seems rampant in almost every company in America. People who know nothing about what their actually doing that still manage to fall upwards due to playing the metagame.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users