The D&D thread

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I mean, even today, rogues use d6's significantly more than any other class

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i don't remember which thread people were talking about it, but did the Trove.net ever come back in any form?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was such a fantastic website.
Indeed it was. I always felt that it wouldn't last so I downloaded a tremendous amount of D&D content before it got nuked.

There's still wayback machine snapshot of the old Trove, but the amount of content is limited.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Yeh I sat down and got every single d&d book I could. Plus a ton of other books. Figured the same thing before it poofed

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got a D&D question. I asked in one of the other threads if there was any D&D game/module where you go to the Nine Hells or fight any of the big guys that the lore heavily builds up. Or are they perpetually out of reach and more used as deities / plot devices?

I'd love to play a game where you explore the Nine Hells as they appear in D&D. Cania (8th) was always the one I found the most interesting.

Read that BG1: Siege of Dragonspear has a chapter that involves Avernus, and Planescape: Torment might involve some Hell activity, but other than that I don't know of them appearing in any D&D video games. What about campaigns/modules? Any that explore Hell? Also wondering about the Abyss, which seems like it'd be too expansive for anything to ever even fool with.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got a D&D question. I asked in one of the other threads if there was any D&D game/module where you go to the Nine Hells or fight any of the big guys that the lore heavily builds up. Or are they perpetually out of reach and more used as deities / plot devices?

I'd love to play a game where you explore the Nine Hells as they appear in D&D. Cania (8th) was always the one I found the most interesting.

Read that BG1: Siege of Dragonspear has a chapter that involves Avernus, and Planescape: Torment might involve some Hell activity, but other than that I don't know of them appearing in any D&D video games. What about campaigns/modules? Any that explore Hell? Also wondering about the Abyss, which seems like it'd be too expansive for anything to ever even fool with.
I can't remember any content that takes place in the Hells/Planes other than the examples you gave. However, I haven't played the majority of those games in years; some decades. So I could be missing something.

It's not "D&D," but the Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous fits the bill later in the game and Pathfinder is effectively D&D with a different name.

• 2Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

What about Baldur's Gate:
Descent into Avernus

It takes you to he'll, played some of it but don't remember how many layers you get to.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What about Baldur's Gate:
Descent into Avernus

It takes you to he'll, played some of it but don't remember how many layers you get to.

That a module?

I wonder if it's related to the part of the Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear game that has you, well, descending into Avernus.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

1679091542309.png

• 2Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rajaah Rajaah I completely missed the part where you asked for not just PC games, but modules that take place in the areas you referred to.

There are numerous examples. As previously mentioned, almost the entire module of Descent to Avernus takes place in Hell.

There are a lot of others, but it'll take a little time to make a list.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm going to update this as I find more.

Abyss:
1. For Duty and Deity (2e).
2. Tales From the Infinite Staircase (2e).
3. The Rod of Seven Parts (2e).
4. Dead Gods (2e).

Hells:
1. Descent to Avernus (5e).
2. Crown of the Oathbreaker (5e). This campaign is massive at over 900 pages and the planar traveling includes more than just the Hells.

If you're just looking for lore, I can point you to at least a dozen books and even give you the pdfs if you want.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Lore wise. I'm a big 4e nerd soooooo. The Plane Below also The Plane Above.

I'd also recommend some of the Erevis Cale books. And without a doubt, Elminster in Hell.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Lore wise. I'm a big 4e nerd soooooo. The Plane Below also The Plane Above.

I'd also recommend some of the Erevis Cale books. And without a doubt, Elminster in Hell.

Got a hardcover Elminster in Hell. Looks like it's part of a book series, hopefully I'm not lost reading it by itself. I do a lot of reading when I'm not working on a particular game so I'm down with adding a D&D book to the list.

I'm going to update this as I find more.

Abyss:
1. For Duty and Deity (2e).
2. Tales From the Infinite Staircase (2e).
3. The Rod of Seven Parts (2e).
4. Dead Gods (2e).

Hells:
1. Descent to Avernus (5e).
2. Crown of the Oathbreaker (5e). This campaign is massive at over 900 pages and the planar traveling includes more than just the Hells.

If you're just looking for lore, I can point you to at least a dozen books and even give you the pdfs if you want.

Just bought this too. Couldn't find Crown, but it's just as well, I think one of these is enough to peruse for now.

1679146750646.png

Should be fun, I haven't bought a D&D module in like 10 years.

I've got a whole box of them at my mom's place, one of these days if I remember I'll get them out and do some reading / take some pictures.

My favorite hands-down is The Keep on the Borderlands. What a fantastic module that is. Single-handedly got me into D&D's world and also helped get me interested in video game RPGs, before I ever even had a video game system.

It's actually kind of shocking that it took me this long to play Baldur's Gate etc.

What's that other module lots of people say is the best? Tomb of Horrors, I think? Pretty sure I have that one too, I need to check.

• 1Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Got a hardcover Elminster in Hell. Looks like it's part of a book series, hopefully I'm not lost reading it by itself. I do a lot of reading when I'm not working on a particular game so I'm down with adding a D&D book to the list.

Just bought this too. Couldn't find Crown, but it's just as well, I think one of these is enough to peruse for now.

View attachment 464144

I've got a whole box of them at my mom's place, one of these days if I remember I'll get them out and do some reading / take some pictures.

My favorite hands-down is The Keep on the Borderlands. What a fantastic module that is. Single-handedly got me into D&D's world and also helped get me interested in video game RPGs, before I ever even had a video game system.

It's actually kind of shocking that it took me this long to play Baldur's Gate etc.

What's that other module lots of people say is the best? Tomb of Horrors, I think? Pretty sure I have that one too, I need to check.
All the Elminster books are fine as stand alones. And that one had a lot of stuff that just I never really seen in lore books or moduals which was cool. But I wouldn't have expected anything less from Ed Greenwood. The man's a fucking legend.

• 2Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

View attachment 464144

Tomb of horrors is iconic and they updated it for 5th, others would be the esvenloft/curse of strad stuff