The D&D thread

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless you're playing with 2nd graders that have Down Syndrome, I have an extremely hard time accepting that your "new" players are finding it difficult to understand the mechanics of the 6 basic stats given the fact that almost every RPG-like game (PC, console, etc.) has followed the same premise, for decades.

I had a lengthier reply, but you reading it and my reading your eventual reply was just going to waste both of our time so I just deleted it.

However, I will say this - Let's assume for a moment that I am overreacting to this rule change. That wouldn't change the fact that Paizo, WotC, etc. are absolutely infected with woke cultists and closeted pedophiles so they deserve every bit of skepticism that normal people have for them.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Ya know. I've always wanted to try pathfinder. But I just keep seeing these silly things about it lol.

It's legitimately the best fantasy TTRPG on the market (2nd edition is, anyways). Just stick to homebrew if you want to avoid the wokeism.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Also, understand that in Pathfinder 2e, there are no odd numbered scores below 19. It is impossible to have a 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, etc. in an ability in the Pathfinder 2e system.
How? Do you not roll dice to get the stats? Does 6+6+5 not equal 17 in pathfinder?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
How? Do you not roll dice to get the stats? Does 6+6+5 not equal 17 in pathfinder?

No, dice were completely removed from PF2e.

Now you ask if the monster consents to being hit by your weapon/spell, and then go into a negotiation on how much damage should be done. You do get your negotiation bonus though.

• 3Worf

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
No, dice were completely removed from PF2e.

Now you ask if the monster consents to being hit by your weapon/spell, and then go into a negotiation on how much damage should be done. You do get your negotiation bonus though.
I can't even tell if you kidding anymore! Lol

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider

No, you choose your stats. You start with base 10 in every ability (with some ancestries starting with 8 or 12 in certain abilities) then you apply ability "boosts" to choose what you want your character to be good at/bad at. It's like a simplified version of point-buy. Each boost increases a score by 2, and the max you can get in any ability at level 1 is 18. This is why odd numbers below 19 don't exist in the PF2e system.

For example, if I were making a Lizardfolk, the stats would go like this:

1. Base 10 in all stats.
2. Lizardfolk get +2 STR, WIS, and one other ability of your choice, and -2 INT. So I might do:
12 STR
10 DEX
12 CON
8 INT
12 WIS
10 CHA

3. Two ability boosts based on your background. Let's say he was a barkeep. That would be +2 CON or CHA and +2 to another of my choice. So I could go:
14 STR
10 DEX
14 CON
8 INT
12 WIS
10 CHA

4. One ability boost dictated by your class. Let's say I'm playing a Barbarian. That would be a boost to STR:
16 STR
12 DEX
14 CON
8 INT
12 WIS
10 CHA

5. Four ability boosts, each one for a different stat.
18 STR
14 DEX
16 CON
8 INT
14 WIS
10 CHA

Then that's your character. Beyond this, you can take voluntary flaws to reduce two scores by 2 and improve one score by 2, so long as nothing goes over 18 or under 8. With the simplification coming to the rules, we just used the modifiers instead of the scores, effectively changing nothing but making things easier for people to understand who have never seen ability scores before.

These are the rules for 2nd edition, anyways. 1st edition is much more like D&D 3.5.

• 1Solidarity

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Thanks Krip. Now can you come set the time on my VCR? It's just keeps blinking 12:00

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's legitimately the best fantasy TTRPG on the market (2nd edition is, anyways).
As much as Paizo turns my stomach, I have to admit that PF2e is a great system. There are elements of it that really grate on my nerves and destroy verisimilitude, but there isn't a system on Earth that doesn't do that in some capacity. However, I'm inclined to agree that it's the best system available. It's certainly better than 5e, but it's more complicated and that, unfortunately, turns a lot of people off. Some people find 5e too rules-heavy and that blows my mind.

I have a massive houserule document for my 5e games and when I bought the PF2e books I was surprised to see that quite a few of the mechanics I included in my game were very similar to the way they're done in that system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming to be a games design god. I just pulled a bunch of rules/mechanics from my massive library, tweaked them to my liking and compiled them into a single file.

• 1Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
This whole ORC license thing may somewhat solve the wokeism problem (or at least circumvent it) by giving any third party publisher carte blanche to use the game rules for whatever narrative elements they want. It's not revocable so Paizo can't stop anything made using the rules.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The new no-longer-One-D&D-but-not-still-5e playtest material has some interesting elements. I don't care for what they did to Warlocks and Sorcerers with this new spin on things. Im especially annoyed by the decision to have both of them hold off on subclass until 3rd level.

Sorcerer I can *maybe* see it as you having access to magic and not understanding exactly why until you get to 3rd level and understand where your magical lineage derives its power from. Still seems like an intrinsic part of a character's backstory that you would have decided on well in advance and just not doing anything about it for a few levels for shits and giggles.

Warlock, however, has making a deal with some otherworldly power at the core of its identity. Are we supposed to believe that the group's Warlock is a freelancer who is just shopping around for patrons during level 1 and 2? What did they make their Pact Boon with at level 1? It doesn't make sense to me.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
In my mind. A caster making a pact eith a demon it summoned should be somthing that happens after much research into summoning demons and what not. Not o I I don't know any magic, let me summon a fucking devil and make a deal with it.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
If I was a demon in the business of making pacts with mortals, I'd make the demon summoning spell really really simple. Like, simple enough to be done on accident by mispronouncing gesundheit.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Counterpoint: It would be really annoying if you keep getting summoned every two minutes when you're trying to get other things done in the abyss.

• 2Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Counterpoint: It would be really annoying if you keep getting summoned every two minutes when you're trying to get other things done in the abyss.
Ya know what. That right there. That's an entire one shot adventure. Lol ty

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

That's the difference between winners and losers. You're trying to get things done IN the abyss. I'm trying to get things done FOR the abyss. That's why you got rookie numbers that need to be pumped up.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
37T7TfF_d.jpg

It just feels right here.

• 2Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
AI image generators have been sooo useful when trying to make adventure content. I followed a recommendation about using ChatGPT to compose the MidJourney prompts and ended up with some very nice renders of the party (this was our Dragon Heist crew)

Anguifyr.png
Taman.png
Markul.png
Dex.png

Drunken Master Monk -- Divination Wizard -- Death Cleric -- Soulknife Rogue

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
  • 1Like