The D&D thread

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
AI image generators have been sooo useful when trying to make adventure content. I followed a recommendation about using ChatGPT to compose the MidJourney prompts and ended up with some very nice renders of the party (this was our Dragon Heist crew)

View attachment 473344View attachment 473345View attachment 473346View attachment 473347

Drunken Master Monk -- Divination Wizard -- Death Cleric -- Soulknife Rogue

Mind sharing the prompt you used with gpt to get the prompts for mid?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
NM, think I figured it out. Generated some pieces straight from my upcoming campaign- not bad! Much better than the last time I attempted this.

Lighthouse - Copy.jpg
M&B1 - Copy.jpg

M&B2 - Copy.jpg

Pit - Copy.jpg

Knife - Copy.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Here's the meta-prompt for GPT-4 spoilered for size:

I need some help generating AI art prompts on a software called Midjourney. First, I am going to explain what Midjourney is and what it can do. Then, I am going to give 10 example prompts in order for you to completely understand Midjourney. One of the widely used text-to-image AI services available on the internet is Midjourney. Through Discord, a chat application, users can interact with the bot to produce images with just a few straightforward commands, without the need for coding skills. The results are visually attractive images that are easy to create. You can Interact with the Midjourney Bot on Discord using a {{glossary.Command}}. Commands are used to create images, change default settings, monitor user info, and perform other helpful tasks. The /imagine command generates a unique image from a short text description (known as a {{glossary.Prompt}}). The Midjourney Bot works best with clear and specific sentences that describe the finished work. It does not work well with conversational style lists of requests. Rather than providing specific instructions, such as 'Show me a picture of lots of blooming California poppies, make them bright, vibrant orange, and draw them in an illustrated style with colored pencils,' try describing what you want in a more straightforward manner, such as 'Vibrant orange California poppies illustrated with colored pencils. Generating an image activates the free Midjourney trial.Trial users can make roughly 25 Jobs before needing to subscribe. A Job is any action that uses the Midjourney Bot. Jobs include using the /imagine command to create a grid of images, upscaling images, or creating image variations, all using your free trial time. Use the /info command to check your Fast Time Remaining to see your remaining Trial time. Here are some prompting notes: Prompt Length Prompts can be very simple. Single words (or even an emoji!) will produce an image. Very short prompts will rely heavily on Midjourney’s default style, so a more descriptive prompt is better for a unique look. However, super-long prompts aren’t always better. Concentrate on the main concepts you want to create. Grammar The Midjourney Bot does not understand grammar, sentence structure, or words like humans. Word choice also matters. More specific synonyms work better in many circumstances. Instead of big, try gigantic, enormous, or immense. Remove words when possible. Fewer words mean each word has a more powerful influence. Use commas, brackets, and hyphens to help organize your thoughts, but know the Midjourney Bot will not reliably interpret them. The Midjourney Bot does not consider capitalization. Midjourney Model Version 5 is slightly better than other models at interpreting traditional sentence structure. Focus on What you Want It is better to describe what you want instead of what you don’t want. If you ask for a party with “no cake,” your image will probably include a cake. If you want to ensure an object is not in the final image, try advance prompting using the --no parameter. Think About What Details Matter Anything left unsaid may surprise you. Be as specific or vague as you want, but anything you leave out will be randomized. Being vague is a great way to get variety, but you may not get the specific details you want. Try to be clear about any context or details that are important to you. Think about: Subject: person, animal, character, location, object, etc. Medium: photo, painting, illustration, sculpture, doodle, tapestry, etc. Environment: indoors, outdoors, on the moon, in Narnia, underwater, the Emerald City, etc. Lighting: soft, ambient, overcast, neon, studio lights, etc Color: vibrant, muted, bright, monochromatic, colorful, black and white, pastel, etc. Mood: Sedate, calm, raucous, energetic, etc. Composition: Portrait, headshot, closeup, birds-eye view, etc. Use Collective Nouns Plural words leave a lot to chance. Try specific numbers. "Three cats" is more specific than "cats." Collective nouns also work, “flock of birds” instead of "birds.” Parameters Available Aspect Ratios --aspect, or --ar Change the aspect ratio of a generation. Chaos --chaos <number 0–100> Change how varied the results will be. Higher values produce more unusual and unexpected generations. No --no Negative prompting, --no plants would try to remove plants from the image. Quality --quality <.25, .5, 1, or 2>, or --q <.25, .5, 1, or 2> How much rendering quality time you want to spend. The default value is 1. Higher values cost more and lower values cost less. Repeat --repeat <1–40>, or --r <1–40> Create multiple Jobs from a single prompt. --repeat is useful for quickly rerunning a job multiple times. Seed --seed <integer between 0–4294967295> The Midjourney bot uses a seed number to create a field of visual noise, like television static, as a starting point to generate the initial image grids. Seed numbers are generated randomly for each image but can be specified with the --seed or --sameseed parameter. Using the same seed number and prompt will produce similar ending images. Stop --stop <integer between 10–100> Use the --stop parameter to finish a Job part way through the process. Stopping a Job at an earlier percentage can create blurrier, less detailed results. Style --style <4a, 4b, or 4c> Switch between versions of the Midjourney Model Version 4 --style <expressive, or cute> Switch between versions of the Niji Model Version Stylize --stylize <number>, or --s <number> parameter influences how strongly Midjourney's default aesthetic style is applied to Jobs. Uplight --uplight Use an alternative "light" upscaler when selecting the U buttons. The results are closer to the original grid image. The upscaled image is less detailed and smoother. Upbeta --upbeta Use an alternative beta upscaler when selecting the U buttons. The results are closer to the original grid image. The upscaled image has significantly fewer added details. Midjourney routinely releases new model versions to improve efficiency, coherency, and quality. Different models excel at different types of images. Niji --niji An alternative model focused on anime style images. High Definition --hd Use an early alternative Model that produces larger, less consistent images. This algorithm may be suitable for abstract and landscape images. Test --test Use the Midjourney special test model. Testp --testp Use the Midjourney special photography-focused test model. Version --version <1, 2, 3, 4, or 5> or --v <1, 2, 3, 4, or 5> Use a different version of the Midjourney algorithm. The current algorithm (V4) is the default setting. Now that you understand the basics of MidJourney here are some example prompts to further understand how these are typed out: astronaut playing chess against a monkey, 2d flat, simple, vibrant, neon colors, fun, groovy, chess pieces floating, set on the moon, movie poster, epic --v 5 --q 2 a magical, vibrant, steampunk, Erlenmeyer Flask with a red, boiling substance, sitting on a white table, white background, 4k paint splatter::2, fish::4, 3d colorful explosion::3, computer monitor::10, fire 3d effect, hyper realistic::5, accent lighting, global illumination, cinematic, 18mm lens, f/2.4, national geographic photography, immersive on black background::10 --ar 16:9 --v 5 --q 2 japanese lofi style, the streets of neo tokyo, with a porsche 911 in the street, massive skyscraper in the background, 64 bit style, shadows and lighting, clean, simple, satisfying --v 5 --ar 16:9 Dreamy pastel portrait, female model, long wavy hair, soft gaze, flowery headpiece, delicate makeup, ethereal atmosphere, soft focus, medium format film, Mamiya RZ67, Fujifilm Pro 400H, f3.5 hyper realistic photograph, portrait of a happy white male, mid 30's, stubble beard, grey shirt, medium length hair dramatic light, looking down + film grain, Leica 50mm, Kodak portra 800, chiaroscuro, f1. 4, golden hour --ar 3:4 hyper realistic photograph, portrait of a tattooed south American indigenous black woman, future punk, gold tattoo line, side profile, summer, dramatic light, looking down + film grain, Leica 50mm, Kodak portra 800, chiaroscuro, f1.4, --ar 3:4 --test --upbeta A very cute bright yellow robot, whole body, running in a forest at night, Mysterious adventure, flowers, Plants, Fireflies, complex details, popmart blind box, clay material, Pixar trend, 3d art, c4d, octane rendering, animation lighting, uplight --ar 9:16 --v 5 --s 750 --q 2 --v 5 Leonardo Dicaprio, highly detailed, contemplating taking his life, 8k, ultra - detailed - realistic --stylize 500 sad looking man in a polo style shirt smoking a cigar looking over the edge of a yacht, 4k, realistic on a rainy day at sea q-- 3 v-- 5 With each prompt specify the desired subject matter, camera equipment, settings, lighting, and other elements that contribute to the final image. Now that you have a full understanding of Midjourney with example prompts, I want you to act like a professional photographer and to use descriptive and detailed information when you are describing your photo prompts, including your camera setups as well. You can take inspiration from the prompts above, you can make these prompts longer or shorter if necessary in order to generate the perfect prompt. Are you ready to start generating photo prompts? If so, respond with ‘YES’ and nothing else.

It has to be GPT-4, if you use 3.5 it doesn't say "yes" as directed at the end of the meta prompt and it doesn't work. Once you have done that you can just tell it what you want : "Generate a prompt for me for a ..." its usually good to specify art style like hyper-realistic or something of that nature.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Being that I was a fine arts major in college. I detest this whole AI generated art stuff. But at the same time I love it. I feel the same way about the use of cgi and 3d printers. But that's a whole other story.

But man is it cool to be able to make pictures of stuff for play sessions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
My first west march campaign is going to start tomorrow night. Any dming tips for this campaign style are welcome, I've done quite a bit of research but first hand experience is always nice. Set them up with about 7 rumors, and they picked one of the most dangerous of course... should be fun.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230522_203134.jpg

Found some pretty neat pictures from the Art & Arcana visual history book. This Tomb of Horrors drawing is pretty funny.

20230522_203036.jpg

20230522_203047.jpg

20230522_203103.jpg

Here's the Sword Coast, home of the CRPGs. Man, this is awesome to see visualized.

• 4Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
My first west march campaign is going to start tomorrow night. Any dming tips for this campaign style are welcome, I've done quite a bit of research but first hand experience is always nice. Set them up with about 7 rumors, and they picked one of the most dangerous of course... should be fun.
Just have extra stuff ready. I made a Westmarch campaign and used 5 squares to an inch hex paper. I told them each hex has something of interest; that's 2337 hexes of stuff.

I have plenty of small stuff, like a cairn with a pride of dire lions living in it, the skeleton of a massive giant embedded in rock, and a pack of wolves lives in the ribcage cavern. There's a pond where facsimile of anything written on parchment or a book comes to life if the paper is completely submerged. I also downloaded a bunch of old Dungeon Magazine PDF's off of archive.org.

I told the players I have it all planned out. I don't; sometimes I pick something that is planned, and sometimes I pull an adventure I spent 5 minutes reading right out a hat...but they don't know that. If I don't feel like running the The Winding Way, I'll just pick Dread Pagoda of the Inscrutable Ones. That's what's in the hex. Totally planned it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yesterday, Fantasy Grounds added support for animated maps, tokens, spell effects using the WebM (vp8 codec) format. That's a bit restrictive, but it's also easily solved by numerous simple tools that easily convert incompatible formats such as mp4. Handbrake is the tool I use and it really couldn't be any easier. It's an additional step in my session prep, but having the ability to use animated assets is well worth the couple minutes it takes.

FG also integrated Syrinscape (music, sound effects, etc.) into the base client.

FG still isn't perfect (it infuriates me on occasion), but once the performance problems have been ironed out, it'll be the best VTT on the market. I have been considering Foundry for awhile, but now FG has most of the bells and whistles that Foundry offers without having to have a minor in web development. Also, the level of combat automation in Foundry doesn't even come close to what FG offers.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yesterday, Fantasy Grounds added support for animated maps, tokens, spell effects using the WebM (vp8 codec) format. That's a bit restrictive, but it's also easily solved by numerous simple tools that easily convert incompatible formats such as mp4. Handbrake is the tool I use and it really couldn't be any easier. It's an additional step in my session prep, but having the ability to use animated assets is well worth the couple minutes it takes.

FG also integrated Syrinscape (music, sound effects, etc.) into the base client.

FG still isn't perfect (it infuriates me on occasion), but once the performance problems have been ironed out, it'll be the best VTT on the market. I have been considering Foundry for awhile, but now FG has most of the bells and whistles that Foundry offers without having to have a minor in web development. Also, the level of combat automation in Foundry doesn't even come close to what FG offers.
I had seriously considered buying the big steam bundle maybe a year or two ago during the holiday sale. We've always used roll20, which my buddy picked up, but I was toying around with running a campaign and thought fantasy grounds looked promising. Is it pretty tough to use?

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had seriously considered buying the big steam bundle maybe a year or two ago during the holiday sale. We've always used roll20, which my buddy picked up, but I was toying around with running a campaign and thought fantasy grounds looked promising. Is it pretty tough to use?
There's definitely a learning curve, but I wouldn't say it's hard to use.

• 2Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I should have also mentioned that Roll20 is a steaming pile compared to FGU and Foundry. I'm not saying that because I use FG. I would rather not play TTRPGs at all than play on Roll20. You won't regret making the move if you do decide to take the leap. You'll feel a little overwhelmed for a few days, but there are a ton of resources to help learn to use it and I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

I have a solid understand of the client now, but man...in the beginning I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and started running games before I should have, but I also made it exponentially worse for myself because I jumped in head-first and started adding dozens of extensions and all kinds of shit before I knew how to manage to basics.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I should have also mentioned that Roll20 is a steaming pile compared to FGU and Foundry. I'm not saying that because I use FG. I would rather not play TTRPGs at all than play on Roll20. You won't regret making the move if you do decide to take the leap. You'll feel a little overwhelmed for a few days, but there are a ton of resources to help learn to use it and I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

I have a solid understand of the client now, but man...in the beginning I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and started running games before I should have, but I also made it exponentially worse for myself because I jumped in head-first and started adding dozens of extensions and all kinds of shit before I knew how to manage to basics.
Yeah that's one of the reasons I never made a campaign for roll 20. I mean it worked for the few campaigns we played over the years, but talking with the two buddies of mine who ran the campaigns, they said it was almost a monumental task to get everything structured and organized and implemented. I toyed it around with it for a bit and it's just bad. It's still a fun platform and we've had countless hours of enjoyment bsing and doing goofy shenanigans in Middle Earth or D&D.

I just really want a platform that once you get past the learning curve it's fairly intuitive and easy. I might not be able to crank out something quick, but as opposed to playing a video game, I could maybe spend that time sitting down and working on some sort of epic campaign that my friends would enjoy. I guess it's like any piece of software you're trying to figure out and learn, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be a pain in the ass.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
we've been using fantasy grounds since it's inception since my table is all over the country. it FEELS like fantasy grounds is really complicated since there really isn't any in-system tutorial of any kind, however, as long as you have a passing familiarity with computers you should be able to pick it up really quickly. when i started using it, our DM introduced us to it. our "session zero" was basically spending about 20 minutes examing the basics and then creating our characters in-system. we already had decided what we were playing so it was more about the mechanics of character creation in the system than anything else. after about an hour of the 4 of us (3 players, 1 dm) going over all that, we decided to start our campaign that night.

point is, if at least one person has an idea of what they are doing with fantasy grounds, learning it goes pretty quickly. the DM obviously has a whole lot of stuff "behind the screen" that they have to know, so it'd probably be best for the DM to be the one who knows the system... but all in all it's pretty straightforward once you understand how fantasy grounds works.

one of the nice things about fantasy grounds is how easy it is to set certain things up. for example, say you are playing a dwarf with poison resistance. you can set that up as one of your "powers" as "resistance: poison; (no space, this forum keeps turning the syntax into a smiley face)" and with a click of a button it shows up on the combat tracker, which means ANY time someone rolls poison damage on you, in automatically does half damage. you can also just set up the same kind of thing for random pieces of information that you want to have available but keep forgetting. so, for example, i have a cloak that gives me resistance to enchantment effects. there's no trigger in the game that specificies which spell is of which school, so i can't set it up to do that automatically, but i can quickly look at the combat tracker and see what effects i put up there. i usually keep it strictly to combat related effects that have an actual trigger (AC:1;SAVE:1; is the effect for a ring of protection, for example) but one of our players puts EVERYTHING up there. it's a little rediculous and our first campaign turned into a challenge to see who could have the longest effects descriptions but the others have toned it down significantly

point is, i'm certainly not any kind of computer coder but just typing in "fantasy ground effects" brings up all kinds of wikis and forums on how to do whatever you want

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
we've been using fantasy grounds since it's inception since my table is all over the country. it FEELS like fantasy grounds is really complicated since there really isn't any in-system tutorial of any kind, however, as long as you have a passing familiarity with computers you should be able to pick it up really quickly. when i started using it, our DM introduced us to it. our "session zero" was basically spending about 20 minutes examing the basics and then creating our characters in-system. we already had decided what we were playing so it was more about the mechanics of character creation in the system than anything else. after about an hour of the 4 of us (3 players, 1 dm) going over all that, we decided to start our campaign that night.

point is, if at least one person has an idea of what they are doing with fantasy grounds, learning it goes pretty quickly. the DM obviously has a whole lot of stuff "behind the screen" that they have to know, so it'd probably be best for the DM to be the one who knows the system... but all in all it's pretty straightforward once you understand how fantasy grounds works.

one of the nice things about fantasy grounds is how easy it is to set certain things up. for example, say you are playing a dwarf with poison resistance. you can set that up as one of your "powers" as "resistance: poison; (no space, this forum keeps turning the syntax into a smiley face)" and with a click of a button it shows up on the combat tracker, which means ANY time someone rolls poison damage on you, in automatically does half damage. you can also just set up the same kind of thing for random pieces of information that you want to have available but keep forgetting. so, for example, i have a cloak that gives me resistance to enchantment effects. there's no trigger in the game that specificies which spell is of which school, so i can't set it up to do that automatically, but i can quickly look at the combat tracker and see what effects i put up there. i usually keep it strictly to combat related effects that have an actual trigger (AC:1;SAVE:1; is the effect for a ring of protection, for example) but one of our players puts EVERYTHING up there. it's a little rediculous and our first campaign turned into a challenge to see who could have the longest effects descriptions but the others have toned it down significantly

point is, i'm certainly not any kind of computer coder but just typing in "fantasy ground effects" brings up all kinds of wikis and forums on how to do whatever you want
Thank you, sir!

Sounds like it's something I can figure out then. My group of buddies from college haven't played together in a few years, anytime I talk to them everybody kind of mentions wanting to get another campaign going, but everybody's busy, and no one wants to take the rains. I'm traveling a lot for work right now and I figure it's something I could maybe sit and plot out when I'm not home.

I've never worked tech, but I'm not a Luddite when it comes to computers. Hopefully the summer sale on steam around 4th of July will pop up, and if I had to guess they'll probably toss the big package on their for a good price. I'll probably go ahead and pick it up.

Been kicking around a few ideas for campaigns, and I think if I can figure out the software I've got something pretty fun but everyone will enjoy.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The automation of so many things is one of the major selling points of FG. Obviously, it can't automate everything because some things are too open-ended or don't translate into a mechanic, but it still takes a ton of weight off the DM/players shoulders. FG automatically includes most of the modifier adjustments to attacks, checks, saves, damage, etc.

There are also extensions that elevate the automation to an entirely new level. Better Combat Effects Gold is an invaluable extension set. It 'codes' nearly every effect in the game so you can simply drag and drop it onto a character/npc and each creature's abilities are ready to go.

At one point I was running almost 100 extensions, but I had to cut back because it was causing performance issues. I still use about half that.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

j00t

i wasn't thinking of this earlier, but something jogged my memory. if you're thinking about starting with a new virtual tabletop program, be aware that dndbeyond is/has been working on an official wizards of the coast virtual tabletop. currently, there's no official program so wizards has had no problem licensing their stuff out to third parties. there's been no official word that i'm aware of, but that may change sooner rather than later. that may mean that if you buy a bunch of dnd books, you MAY lose all your money if wizards pulls the licensing to only allow their books on their own official vtt. obviously, that's worst case scenario, but just want to keep people informed

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i wasn't thinking of this earlier, but something jogged my memory. if you're thinking about starting with a new virtual tabletop program, be aware that dndbeyond is/has been working on an official wizards of the coast virtual tabletop. currently, there's no official program so wizards has had no problem licensing their stuff out to third parties. there's been no official word that i'm aware of, but that may change sooner rather than later. that may mean that if you buy a bunch of dnd books, you MAY lose all your money if wizards pulls the licensing to only allow their books on their own official vtt. obviously, that's worst case scenario, but just want to keep people informed
Even in the unlikely event that WotC pulled their license from competing VTTs, you'd still have access to everything you purchased prior to the revocation. There's no risk buying in to one right now.

• 1Like

j00t

Even in the unlikely event that WotC pulled their license from competing VTTs, you'd still have access to everything you purchased prior to the revocation. There's no risk buying in to one right now.
on one hand, yeah you're absolutely correct in that sense. the issue, specifically with fantasy grounds, is that it's run by a couple of dudes in their spare time. my dm actually was in contact with them a handful of years ago. his argument was that they could really use some people on their team that were willing to work full time and push the public attention. roll20 is a worse program but has a better social presence. if the FG team upped their game in that area, it could really take off.

their response was basically, "eh, we're good."

so i wonder how they'd respond to any amount of pressure from dndbeyond.

that being said, that was a several years ago, like i said, so things may have changed on their end. they had been working on FG Unity for FOREVER and seemingly never were making any kind of progress, but in the last year and a half or so they've been doing regular updates so maybe things have changed internally.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm trying to move my bard to DnD Beyond to give it a shot. But it wont' let me select college of creation or the telekenisis feat. I'm guessing I have to pay to get those options, but I can't figure out what the fuck to buy in the marketplace. Can anyone help?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm trying to move my bard to DnD Beyond to give it a shot. But it wont' let me select college of creation or the telekenisis feat. I'm guessing I have to pay to get those options, but I can't figure out what the fuck to buy in the marketplace. Can anyone help?

If you amazon a 12" rainbow dildo, it'll unlock.