The D&D thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rime

<Donor>
Permanently dominate? Never.

There were some items from various settings in previous editions that would allow you to 'use' a sentient weapon, without having to come into conflict with it. The glove for Charon's Claw comes to mind. But they all had drawbacks of their own/prevented you from accessing the full power of the weapon.

You will have to work with the sword or keep butting heads with it until it eventually consumes your personality and then you ARE the sword OR it betrays you at the worst possible moment and ends up in the hands of your worst enemy, unless you and the DM work something out on the side.

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
well... my character is a revenant now, so he's got a year to live no matter what happens and he knows it. so i think where this is coming from is that he's just refusing to die. my dm and i talked about it a little bit ago about the idea of him side-stepping death and becoming a devil or something. he said that the sword could pull some strings and make that happen, but that depended on whether or not it found me worthy of it.

so the attitude my character is pulling is "fuck you. you aren't worthy enough for me."

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Figure out a way to enter the sword where you will trick/defeat the sword on its own turf. If your characters determined to not die its a first step. Take the sword over as your temporary body until you can figure out the next step.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I am going to be doing a one off game later this week for my group and wanted to do a Western Setting using 5e rules (with some obvious homebrew) and was curious if anyone had any experience with a realistic western setting? I looked at Frontier and like most of it, but some of it seems clunky as far as direct translation of things like INT and CHA for support characters.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I am going to be doing a one off game later this week for my group and wanted to do a Western Setting using 5e rules (with some obvious homebrew) and was curious if anyone had any experience with a realistic western setting? I looked at Frontier and like most of it, but some of it seems clunky as far as direct translation of things like INT and CHA for support characters.

You could checkout Boot Hill, Deadlands and the Deadlands d20 conversion to see how different games did western stuff in an RPG, get yourself some ideas.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I ran session 2 of my first DnD campaign last night.

It's roughly based on EQ lore. Currently in Rivervale area. Runnyeye goblins appear to be the main threat, but they will eventually discover the goblins are being controlled by a Necromancer from Splitpaw.

In part 1, the adventurers had to assemble ingredients for a fertilizer the help reinforce the wall in Misty Thicket with vines.

In part 2, they gained more info about who is pulling the strings. When they applied the fertilizer it caused Vine Blights to sprout and tore down a section of the wall.

Really enjoying DMing so far, and my players are having great fun. Two of which have never played DnD before. It's really funny to see their reactions to your world, and see what unexpected directions they will take it in. Or when they don't consider the consequences of their actions on the NPCs in future encounters.

• 6Like
  • 1Weird Boner
  • 1Ding!
Reactions: 7 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I ran session 2 of my first DnD campaign last night.

It's roughly based on EQ lore. Currently in Rivervale area. Runnyeye goblins appear to be the main threat, but they will eventually discover the goblins are being controlled by a Necromancer from Splitpaw.

In part 1, the adventurers had to assemble ingredients for a fertilizer the help reinforce the wall in Misty Thicket with vines.

In part 2, they gained more info about who is pulling the strings. When they applied the fertilizer it caused Vine Blights to sprout and tore down a section of the wall.

Really enjoying DMing so far, and my players are having great fun. Two of which have never played DnD before. It's really funny to see their reactions to your world, and see what unexpected directions they will take it in. Or when they don't consider the consequences of their actions on the NPCs in future encounters.
I run a campaign for my wife and 2 of her female friends, none of which have ever played D&D before, and their reactions to things and the way they do stuff is by far the best part of it for me.
An example, kobolds had been harassing a village and the local marshall type hired them to go handle the situation and talking to the soldiers and more experienced adventurers gave them some ideas about watching for traps and ambushes if they happen to find a cave lair.

So they go out, patrol a bit around the village and get jumped by a scouting party. A few Kobold die and the rest retreat so they track them back to their lair, a cave in a nearby hill. We take a break and they discuss the issue without me around and when we come back they don't want to go inside the hole, they want to find escape tunnels and collapse them, then burn the kobolds out of their hole. So they make the appropriate rolls, gather the stuff, and burn them out. Up until then it's all good, they're having fun but then things take a 180 and I see some tears when I tell them they find along with the dead warriors and raiders they're also finding women and children.

They learned a lesson that session, all actions can have unintended consequences. Now they're being actively hunted by all of the monster tribes in the area which will make for some interesting situations for them in the future.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Ome

Molten Core Raider
This shows how different groups can be. Im more accustomed to, "So how much total exp do we get for all that"?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm playing a 1' tall Kobold. To make up for limited carrying capacity, I've been squirreling away things in the possessions of others. DM totally in on it, it'll be funny when they discover the horde... Or the beetles and centipedes.....

• 2Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kobold has been a blast. Recently thwarted a pied-piper-esque kidnapper, and in the group were some of my siblings so now we're getting into antics.
The group finds this elaborate celestial pool with an intricate puzzle to awaken two angelic statues holding ornate mirrors. The suspicious bolds don't trust it at all. At each stage of the puzzle they get further back. First behind the legs of party members, then just inside the doorway, then just outside the doorway, then we're silent for awhile and everybody forgets about us. .. we secretly erected a trap around the doorway, set to trigger if anything taller than our tallest party member went through. But to add a goofy twist, we used water from the celestial pool.
Well, while this was happening, the rest of the party completed the summons and plot twist, they were fiends and ready to maim, but the bard rolled well and made some interesting dialogue choices.
DM said, "Wow, okay. Well good job, I didn't think ya'll would be able to get out of that one without a fight. The fiends fly out of the room."
Cheers from the group, interrupted as they notice me blushing, "What do you mean out of the room, how out of the room?"
I reveal the notes on the trap.
the water dumps on the flying out fiends. they turn to statues... lol

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
We are gearing up for out first Pathfinder 2nd edition game. I will most likely be playing this Half Orc Champion of Sarenrae. He is a fallen Champion of Erastil that is trying to find redemption with Sarenrae. Redeemer path obviously.

I could use an interesting idea for a goblin alchemist too if anyone has one.

Feien

Ploppers
Recently designed a custom Character Sheet. I'm pretty happy with it.

Thormund Character Sheet Portrait.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
We are gearing up for out first Pathfinder 2nd edition game. I will most likely be playing this Half Orc Champion of Sarenrae. He is a fallen Champion of Erastil that is trying to find redemption with Sarenrae. Redeemer path obviously.

I could use an interesting idea for a goblin alchemist too if anyone has one.

He could be a super vain character that got into alchemy to find a cure for baldness because he is paranoid of magic and refuses to get it fixed via magic. He's on a quest to find some long-lost goblin-pattern hair loss curative formula.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
He could be a super vain character that got into alchemy to find a cure for baldness because he is paranoid of magic and refuses to get it fixed via magic. He's on a quest to find some long-lost goblin-pattern hair loss curative formula.

I like this. Particularly the paranoid of magic bit. My wife cracked up hearing it.

• 1Like

Evernothing

This looks cool, I might get a complete scroll and a blank grid scroll.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Evernothing

I ended up buying this battlemaps book from the same guys instead. It's from the previous kickstarter.

• 1Like

Evernothing

Chapter 3 of my EQ based DnD campaign last night.

My adventurers infiltrated RunnyEye and dispatched with a production facility for Goblin Grog that was empowering the goblins. They took out a Gnoll Warlock who was in control of RunnyEye and found clues that will eventually lead them to Splitpaw.

I had a full scale war going in in Misty Thicket with forces of good vs. goblin horde.

I had a group of "legendary heroes known as the Fires of Heaven" teleport in to assist with the war. They consisted of Aradune Mithara, Al'Kabor and a dwarf named Kreugen.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users