The Documentary Thread

Disp_sl

shitlord
Yeah. What I took away from the movie is stop eating processed shit, and start packing in tons of fruits and veggies, whether it's by juicing or just munching them. In the last 4 months I've switched to less processed foods and a higher fruit/vegetable diet, and I feel great. The juicing concept does seem like it'd be solid for someone that needs to drop 100+ lbs. though. It was mostly cool seeing people making the decision to change their life for the better and what their results were once they committed. The 420 lb. dude on a dozen meds who dropped 200 lbs. was a great story.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just finished watching a Doc called Video Games: The Movie. It was pretty great. Very nostalgic. Talks a lot about how games came to be what they are today. Why things worked and others didn't. The whole movie is clips of various games we've played over the years. Really good.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Kinda old and was prolly posted already somewhere but i just finished the 6 parts documentary on the navy seals recruitment. It was really fuckin good, no real propaganda bs, minus those small moments of '' why ya wanna be a seal'' and the way the video was done makes you feel there, with them freezing their asses off is amazing! We're following class 234 and the way its protrayed reminds me of my training at the fire academy, tho not to the extent they're punished. The amount of pain these guys endure is,.... wow. Some segments were used for the lone survivor film at the beginning. Deal with the intro at the beginning of each section. It nearly turned me off... but am glad i waited to see what it was about.

edit: video link might be a good idea...

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Finally watched Particle Fever, it's up on Netflix. I feel like it was kind of light on substance and more heavy on 'omg this is the biggest thing ever' but I enjoyed it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Just finished watching Dear Zachery... holy shit, talk about a crushing video. I cried... A lot more than once. This is political ineptitude at its finest. You really need to watch this thing. Wow.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Rule number 1 of documentary club:

Don't watch Dear Zach unless you want feels

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Fuck me, I just watched the trailer and read a synopsis and that was enough for me. I apologize on behalf of the Canadian justice system, that shit is just fucked.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Yeah, first time watching it I was a mess. I saw it again a few months ago after I had been out drinking, thinking my feels would be dulled. Nope.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dear Zachary, wtf did i just watch!

for ppl that watched it, here is the follow up 15min update from the filmmaker, of course DO NOT watch until you've watch dear zachary.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I just finished watching Jodorowsky's Dune. holy shit, i wish this movie had happened, its amazing how many films afterward borrowed from this unmade film. this doc is a must watch. the dude is batshit crazy, but his "vision" was truly amazing.it made me wonder, with so many remakes of well known films why they never try to remake films that were badly done the first go round? i would totally watch this version of Dune.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Just watched Grizzly Man about some moron who decided to go live with the bears in Alaska. Some people are so fucking dumb.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Watched McConkey twice now, great flick. Not only is it great from a biographical standpoint but also covers the genesis of modern big mountain skiing and the birth of B.A.S.E jumping. Even if you aren't 'in' to those sorts of things or extreme sports in general I think it is still worth the watch. Last I checked it was still available on Netflix.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Dear Zachary, wtf did i just watch!

for ppl that watched it, here is the follow up 15min update from the filmmaker, of course DO NOT watch until you've watch dear zachary.
Thank you for posting that. I still have trouble describing the emotions I feel at the mention of this documentary, the best word I have been able to come up with so far is "raw."

Thanks again.

EDIT: Also,12 Mind-Blowing Documentaries On Netflix Right Now

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my husband's not gay

My wife and i tried to watch a few weeks back when it aired, we just caught it when it was on and heard nothing about it so, eh background noise while using ipad for both of us. Then a few mins in, you're like "these fuckers are the gayest gays in all of gay dom", and i stopped reading the ipad and said "honey this is funny!" It's funny these "not" gays are all friends, it's funny these not gays wives are all friends, it's funny they all have their own traffic light system of how good looking a guy is and how it's sometimes the wives thinks it's nice they can BOTH comment on how hot a guy is.

Then it just got too, TLC, which if you know is a trash channel, i mean i really wanted to finish it, but it was such a bad made doc, it was almost impossible.

Basically these poor idiots are so Mormon, they can't be happy gays, and these wives are so desperate they'll support group each other into dumbness.

Again it's a decent doc for the first 30mins, my wife and i were glued to it, just muttering "he's so gay, he's so gay" and amazed at how everyone is such a willing participant in deniability, but then it becomes such trash.