The Documentary Thread

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep that's it. I think I figured it out right after I asked the question but thanks for reminding me!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Narco Cultura on Netflix.

Insanely good documentary on the life of a CSI in Juarez Mexico, contrasted with the aspirations of a narco corrido (singers who glorify the life of drug dealing). It's beyond fucked up in norther Mexico. Fuck the middle east, US need some boots on the ground in Juarez.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I'm watching the Smash Brothers, such a great documentary even though I never really got into SSBM, i know enough about it to follow along.

Are there any other really good documentaries about a culture that has built up around a videogame like that? I already know about King of Kong.

looking for more modern things than the slew of "the history of early video game" documentaries about atari and arcades.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Watch the Smash brothers doco. Wow. What a great film/show. I never really got into SSBM but the feeling of being apart of a community certainly did take me back to my UO days. I was emotionally invested and pretty devo when it finished to be honest. Very bittersweet. Excellent film. Everybody should watch this film.

Just as a couple posts above if there are any other modern gaming docos other then king of kong I'd love to watch them.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Morgan Spurlock was on Larry King Now other night (on hulu) talking about Inside Man and his films, as well as giving his top 5 documentaries (in no particular order):
Searching for Sugarman
The Imposter
Brother's Keeper
Gimme Shelter
Fog of War

an accordion_sl

shitlord

One based on various MMO players.

Based on pro-gaming

Street Fighter documentary
Those are bad, should watch Free to Play:

Probably the best gaming documentary other than King of Kong and Indie Game because it actually has a narrative. The rest of them are people talking about a scene.

kudos

<Banned>
Those are bad, should watch Free to Play:

Probably the best gaming documentary other than King of Kong and Indie Game because it actually has a narrative. The rest of them are people talking about a scene.
He asked I delivered. I'm not saying they are good or not.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Beware of Mr. Baker was quite interesting.

Never knew Ginger Baker was so cray.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Jiro Dreams of Sushi is probably the best documentary I've ever seen, personally.
It makes me want to travel to Japan to eat there.

Just finished The Last Gladiators. A great doc about the role of enforcers (fighters) in the NHL.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
It makes me want to travel to Japan to eat there.

Just finished The Last Gladiators. A great doc about the role of enforcers (fighters) in the NHL.
Same here, the passion the man puts into that food is damn near enthralling. It makes me want to work and master my job even though my job is shit.

Unfortunately, I'll probably not make enough money within the next few years to visit Japan to eat there. But perhaps one day I'll be able to visit his sons.

Column_sl

shitlord
I've seen countless documentaries, it is one of my favorite genres of film.

The Smash Brothers was extremely well done, but what a colossal group of turbo faggots. They make even the unwashed masses of the FGC look like Alpha Males.
Good God, not only does that game suck collective donkey dick, but it shelters the same misfits as a local night at a game store.

There is a subset of nerds I never want to be around ,and that list has just expanded from Anime fags, Furries, D&D neckbeards, Magic the gathering dorks, to Smash Brother Nerdgins..
You would think when your top player is a fucking drunk lush you might consider your game to be not as great as you think it is.

My favorite part was that dude Wife saying he wasn't gay. I don't know what universe he lives in, but...

rrr_img_68687.jpg

All being said, excellent film. Hope the Film makers go on to great things.