The Documentary Thread

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Here are some good ones:

Alone in the Wilderness, the story of Richard Proenneke, a guy who decided to move into a log cabin in remote Alaska when he was 60 or so and lived there for a quarter of a century.

The Century of the Self, a BBC Documentary on public relations and psychology. It was up on YouTube but has been taken down, highly recommended.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Century_of_the_Self

The Red Letter Media documentary/review on The Phantom Menace:

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
Exit through the Gift shop. Think the sound cuts out an hour into this, but you'd be better off downloading it anyway.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Jiro Dreams of Sushi. If you like Sushi in any way, or are a foodie at all, this is a very interesting watch.
Had this recommended to my by a friend and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'd say you don't have to like sushi/be a foodie to appreciate it.

Teger_sl

shitlord
Herb and Dorothy.

Jiro was pretty boring. The concept was good, but way too mean scenes of him putting together sushi backed by classical music. We get it, making sushi is like conducting a symphony.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
I just started watching this and it's amazing. It's old (1973) but it's the best WWII documentary out there and it's like 26 hours long. Here's a clip of them talking about transferring it to Blu Ray.

Serious question, why is sushi so popular? Isnt it kinda dangerous to eat raw fish?
try google instead of derailing yet another thread to hear the sound of your own voice.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282856/was pretty interesting and had some decent lolz on top, it is a real Doc.

418837.1020.A.jpg

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
thanks drinsic4brazilrad, im seriously interested. im sure some fucktard will say cuz its good as fuck, thats why its popular. i get that. 5 or so years ago nobody ever would watch a sushi doc. now i see that shit everywhere. sushi places been poppin up all over by me.

so again, why is sushi so popular and isnt anyone worried they're gonna get sick?

thanks drinsic4brazilrad, im seriously interested. im sure some fucktard will say cuz its good as fuck, thats why its popular. i get that. 5 or so years ago nobody ever would watch a sushi doc. now i see that shit everywhere. sushi places been poppin up all over by me.

so again, why is sushi so popular and isnt anyone worried they're gonna get sick?
VzqqBjd.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Can anyone recommend any good documentaries on serial killers? They fascinate me in some way. Already seen the iceman stuff.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The FDA requires almost all raw fish to be frozen first

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/R.../ucm189211.htm

Here is the pertinent part:

Except for raw molluscan shellfish, certain species of large tuna, certain aquacultured fish, and fish eggs that have been removed from the skein and rinsed, if fish are intended for raw or undercooked consumption, they must be properly frozen before they are served. If this process is done off-premises, purchase specifications ensuring that proper freezing techniques are used to destroy parasites must be provided. Labeling or other information should accompany the product to advise as to whether the product was frozen properly. This is necessary because fish from natural bodies of water may carry parasitic worms that can infect and injure consumers who eat such raw fish dishes as sushi, ceviche, green (lightly marinated) herring, and cold-smoked salmon. The worms are often deeply imbedded inside fish muscle. Thorough freezing kills these worms if the fish are subjected to a low enough temperature for a long enough time.

YIMMY_sl

shitlord
Can anyone recommend any good documentaries on serial killers? They fascinate me in some way. Already seen the iceman stuff.
Not serial killer per say, but "into the abyss" was an amazing documentary about a kid on death row because he murdered 3 people over a car. Great backstory as well.