The Documentary Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Who's playing the house keeper he repeatedly bangs out ?

2KzD.gif

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
This was actually really good. Worth a watch.
Fuck him. He's one of the people I have to separate the Art from the Artist, because damned if his work isn't good. But this fuckhead came to our country and prospered because of our Freedom and way of life, we trusted him with a position of power here, only to have Covid come along and watch him tell us, "Screw your freedom". So yea, I don't care how much he apologizes for saying it, or which people he was supposedly talking to when he said it... fuck this guy.

• 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Was hoping for a bit more out of this. First episode was good explaining how the show was created. The other episodes not so much. It was still interesting but it really just focused on the negative side of the show, steroids, injuries, ruining my life. Wished it show all the sides of the show rather than the dark side.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Was hoping for a bit more out of this. First episode was good explaining how the show was created. The other episodes not so much. It was still interesting but it really just focused on the negative side of the show, steroids, injuries, ruining my life. Wished it show all the sides of the show rather than the dark side.

One of the UK series winners, Eunice Huthart, went on to be a Hollywood stunt woman. I was reminded of this via this shout out from Supergirl.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Just watched The Amazing Johnathan Documentary (2019) - IMDb

I loved his comedy growing up (and it still holds up today), and Hulu kept showing it as the first thing that came up. Holy fuck what a disappointment though. It's basically a documentary about how there was another documentary about The Amazing Johnathan. What a fucking colossal waste of my time. It'd be like if one of the two Fyre festival documentaries was all about how much it sucked that someone else was making one, and oh yeah, here's a bunch of stuff about the director's life that no one fucking cares about.

And this is the 2nd time I've been burned by one of these dog shit documentaries that sounds neat but then just becomes a documentary about the director. The first was Generation Wealth (2018) - IMDb which touted itself as an interesting look into the lives of rich people, but instead just seemed like a plug for the director's book.

I think we've passed peak saturation of documentaries. They're now just doing them about themselves under the guise of something else.

Edit: Yeah, fuck that documentary. Here's the one they actually show in the first one (seriously, he flies out to Vancouver for the film show, pays an actor to confront them during their Q&A, and looks like an asshole). It's...an actual documentary. That other thing is an abomination.

Its also over on Spotify, its worth searching for.
Back when it came out, I loved to hear this interview, its someone that is kind of ready to go, so really up to chat about whatever just because its all ending.
It did end eventually, but he had more time than he thought.
Good story, either way.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Just watched The Amazing Johnathan Documentary (2019) - IMDb

I loved his comedy growing up (and it still holds up today), and Hulu kept showing it as the first thing that came up. Holy fuck what a disappointment though. It's basically a documentary about how there was another documentary about The Amazing Johnathan. What a fucking colossal waste of my time. It'd be like if one of the two Fyre festival documentaries was all about how much it sucked that someone else was making one, and oh yeah, here's a bunch of stuff about the director's life that no one fucking cares about.

And this is the 2nd time I've been burned by one of these dog shit documentaries that sounds neat but then just becomes a documentary about the director. The first was Generation Wealth (2018) - IMDb which touted itself as an interesting look into the lives of rich people, but instead just seemed like a plug for the director's book.

I think we've passed peak saturation of documentaries. They're now just doing them about themselves under the guise of something else.

Edit: Yeah, fuck that documentary. Here's the one they actually show in the first one (seriously, he flies out to Vancouver for the film show, pays an actor to confront them during their Q&A, and looks like an asshole). It's...an actual documentary. That other thing is an abomination.

Its also over on Spotify, its worth searching for.
Back when it came out, I loved to hear this interview, its someone that is kind of ready to go, so really up to chat about whatever just because its all ending.
It did end eventually, but he had more time than he thought.
Good story, either way.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Has this ever been shared?

Would love to hear some thoughts.

I probably did. Curtis is probably too left wing for most here. I enjoyed his Bitter Lake documentary

But his style has come a bit of a meme

• 1Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I probably did. Curtis is probably too left wing for most here. I enjoyed his Bitter Lake documentary

But his style has come a bit of a meme

No doubt, but any documentary that is even slightly political only presents the narrative of the director, often a well crafted one, specifically built so you don't have to think too much about it and can just take at face value.

Curtis is a great editor that presents his views as a matter of fact.
If you don't stop and think about it for a second you might be fooled that it all pieces together as he says.
The truth tough, is a bit more complex, he does have some good points, he certainly has a different point of view on a lot of things and that is worth checking out.
But no one should ever take it at face value, nor any kind of media tbh.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Has this ever been shared?

Would love to hear some thoughts.
Been a long time since seeing it, but all of his stuff (that I have seen) is pretty good. Most of it is looking at the manipulation of society on many fronts. The Century of The Self seems to be the doc that put him on the map (or the one that I have seen most recommended), where he shows how modern psychology has been adopted by various groups to manipulate society for various purposes, from profit to politics. Surprised any of his stuff was even allowed on the BBC, let alone paid for, by them.

Also a bit surprised that the video linked is 5 years old and still up. All of Adam Curtis's docs used to be on YouTube, on his own channel, but I think BBC had them taken down. Here is an alternate website with them all/most of them:

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
He also did short segments for Charlie Brooker (Black mirror creator) bbc show "Newswipe"