The Dragoness : Command to the Flame homm-like

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
I searched and didn't see this upcoming game mentioned. If you take a look at video or the steam link, you will see the immediate resemblance to Heroes of Might and Magic. The game releases on the 8th and there is a deal for the game if you buy it before then for 17.99. They also have a free demo if you want to give it a try. There are like 40 different combat units, town building, very similar combat and world overland travel very on par for a HOMM like.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Demo is solid and fun. Its got a real nice feel to it if you liked the old Heroes of Might and Magic games. The price is real nice under 20 bucks. If you like these types of games you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

Edit: Full release was yesterday but for some reason I thought it was tomorrow. I just purchased the game and even though only a couple seem interested will report back.

Last edited:

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The Demo is solid and fun. Its got a real nice feel to it if you liked the old Heroes of Might and Magic games. The price is real nice under 20 bucks. If you like these types of games you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

Edit: Full release was yesterday but for some reason I thought it was tomorrow. I just purchased the game and even though only a couple seem interested will report back.
Cat Costume GIF
money want GIF

Which is it?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Gonna wait for more reviews but this looks fucking awesome.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I bought it since I love HOMM.

Initial 40 minute impressions
- Graphics are ok. Nothing remarkable, but slightly updated HOMM3? Kinda zoomed in, so things are fairly jaggedy.
- Sounds are good.
- Combat as you suspect.
- The main camp unlocks things (the rogue lite component) with resources gathered in missions. You can replay missions (read this in the forums).
---- Missions when you start them have challenge components. Like not using a specific unit, killing all enemies, and so on. These are rewarded after mission is complete. Suspect you can replay missions to complete modifiers to get all of them if you miss any the first time around.
---- Don't think you take all the base resources with you at the end, but artifacts are carried over and you can select them when you start. (was kind of weird that in one spot I could buy an artifact from a vendor for far more resources than I have, then right next to the hut was a chest with the same artifact. Not sure if those are RNG or static).
- You start as a base class, unlock 2 at the start, with a 3rd still locked. Their differences are small (initial spell class / mana pool), units are the same, but expect these are things you unlock later.

Game crashed spectacularly, locking up my computer for 2 minutes with sound going, in the middle of the first mission after tutorial. When opening the game now with a continue, it crashes immediately. It autosaves after every turn. I reloaded now twice, and it worked again.

Might want to wait for a patch or two? But other than crash, nothing bad. Seems to play as advertised.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Played around with this for about an hour. Game is ok if you're jonesing for some HOMM fun. I like the depth it seems to have but don't like how everything except artifacts resets between missions.

And while the tutorial is easy, I found the first actual mission to be more challenging than I expected it to be. Maybe I'm missing something but on normal difficulty, there's quite a bit of attrition that occurs during battles and not nearly enough ways to replenish them as much as you need to. Mission 2 in Noria? clobbered me in about 5-6 rounds for this reason.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Overall the game is good. The biggest difference between HoMM and this game are your monsters are limited to single units in a stack instead of mass numbers in stacks and you don't keep your heroes. You can combine two of the same level unit to make a higher level single unit. Your heroes are limited to one run per level unless something changes later on. They level up and gain skills etc but for that one level/realm. The city that you build up however does stick between levels/realms. You only go to your city between levels/realms but whatever you build up stays there. You get quests on the maps but also a set of three quests per map that contribute to your building supplies for your city. The game is cheap and fun but its cheapness does show up to an extent.

I am glad I bought it and hope these guys continue down this path.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Refunded it after it crashed multiple times, including repeatedly on startup, when every single other Unity game works just fine on my PC. When I was able to play it, it was decent, but I'll wait until it is on sale and in a finished state.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, also refunded this after about 25-30 minutes. Got to the capital and realized it's just way too "amateur". Everything from the voice acting to the optimization, etc. Normally, I don't expect a hell of a lot out of $10-$20 indie titles, but this one just somehow felt worse than it should.

What was the name of the other HoMM-style game that came out recently?

velk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, also refunded this after about 25-30 minutes. Got to the capital and realized it's just way too "amateur". Everything from the voice acting to the optimization, etc. Normally, I don't expect a hell of a lot out of $10-$20 indie titles, but this one just somehow felt worse than it should.

What was the name of the other HoMM-style game that came out recently?

I find the bar is actually pretty high for $10-$20 indie bracket if you aren't after cutting edge graphics - that bracket includes stuff like Terraria, Dyson Sphere Program and Across the Obelisk.

The other hommlike one was Songs of Conquest.