the ecological fallacy and identity politics

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ya, because people on welfare, food stamps, section 8 housing, ate can manage their finances so well, we should just give them one big check and let them make their own decisions on how to spend it. If I honestly believed all other assistance programs would go away with UBI, I would almost be on board with it. Then I would at least get some of my taxes back to offset the payouts. I do question how much tax you need to collect to give everyone $10k/yr (probably need to collect $15k/yr in taxes to make the $10k payout).

My worthless sister used to get money wired from my parents weekly. They first tried to send her the amount monthly for her expenses, but she blew a months allowance in 4 days, and seemed confused why she could make rent or buy groceries. I assume most (all) of the people on these programs are the same way.

The fallacy here is not in believing that everyone on UBI would use it properly. That wouldn't happen and everyone knows it. Some people would make poor choices and fail; this is a given.

The fallacy is that the civil authority is supposed to be responsible for stopping this or alleviating it. If someone is given both the means and responsibility for their own well being, and fails, it is fallacy to then place the burden of reponsibility back onto the government.

Let them fail.