The Elder Scrolls Online

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
What the fuck is this nonsense? Not only is FF14 not really even that anime-looking, it's a damn nice looking game with great lighting.

Furthermore, what was wrong with the control scheme? It controls like most every post-WoW MMORPG.
FF14 controls were sluggish and unresponsive, like there was latency between key presses an actions, which didn't really match what you expected, and I wasn't a fan of the animations, at all. WoW's control scheme (like one of the things they got absolutely right) is absolutely fluid and responsive. ESO's control scheme seems very similar to FF14 and very unlike WoW.

And art style aside (which I wasn't a fan of) i'm sitting here scrolling through google image search of FF14 thinking "yep, that's basically what i remember the game looked like" and I see nothing as impressive as what I saw playing ESO this weekend. But that's reasonable considering FF14 was made years ago and was then completely relaunched. I don't believe it had a graphical overhaul, but I could be mistaken. Keep in mind that's comparing set up shot still's versus live gameplay, which had the graphical overlay obscuring the bottom half of the screen with your email address so you couldn't leak screens/twitch.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
SWTOR had a lot of things going for it that masked the downsides:

1.) Story was interesting

2.) Companions were a fresh/entertaining idea at the time.

3.) lol Star Wars (still a much stronger IP than elder scrolls.)
1.) The stories weren't all that great.

2.) Companions sucked right from the get-go. Not everyone wants a pet class!

3.) When it comes to gamers and RPG's, Elder Scrolls can stand with Star Wars .

Point being: I still got to the end game of ToR - and had moderate fun doing it. After some positive reviews, I may enjoy this game yet.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
FF14 controls were sluggish and unresponsive, like there was latency between key presses an actions, which didn't really match what you expected, and I wasn't a fan of the animations, at all. WoW's control scheme (like one of the things they got absolutely right) is absolutely fluid and responsive. ESO's control scheme seems very similar to FF14 and very unlike WoW.
This is seriously the biggest problem with all new MMO's and I have no idea why it's not the #1 priority even in alpha.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
And art style aside (which I wasn't a fan of) i'm sitting here scrolling through google image search of FF14 thinking "yep, that's basically what i remember the game looked like" and I see nothing as impressive as what I saw playing ESO this weekend. But that's reasonable considering FF14 was made years ago and was then completely relaunched. I don't believe it had a graphical overhaul, but I could be mistaken. Keep in mind that's comparing set up shot still's versus live gameplay, which had the graphical overlay obscuring the bottom half of the screen with your email address so you couldn't leak screens/twitch.
You're wrong, the graphics engine was totally re-done. If you are looking at screenshots from FF14 1.0 then yeah.

The style may not be everyone's cup of tea but they are definitely this generation graphics and because of the PS3 optimization it runs smooth as silk at 100 FPS even on 3 year old PC hardware.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I'm looking at screenshots from ARR which is the beta that I played and yeah, they're nothing to write home about. ESO had better graphics. I played both games at absolute max settings. I'm talking landscape, lighting, shadows, etc. I'm not a fan of the art style of either game btw, character models etc though i lean towards ES models more so than japanese anime style of FF. ES is just fugly in a way that i'm more familiar with I guess, the dunmer and other elves even though disturbingly proportioned have just grown on me from morrowind on, where i've always despised cutesy anime and chocobo shit. The animations and controls in both games were borderline terrible.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
3.) When it comes to gamers and RPG's, Elder Scrolls can stand with Star Wars .
I love ES and pretty much any ES game is a day 1 week long marathon but there's some complexity behind the strength of the ES IP vs Star Wars.

1. From a lore standpoint SW is undeniable a stronger IP. There's some ES nuts that might disagree but when you look at it objectively I think you'll find ES is pretty standard swords n' magic, even though it is very well developed.
2. From a gameplay standpoint the ES games are tried and true. From Arena to Skyrim we've had strong and reliable entries in a very specific genre of open world filled with tons of content and no limits to where you can go. Nobody knows anything about ES6 but I can all but guarantee anyone who liked ES3/4/5 will like it. The problem is that TESO isn't a continuation of this approach to RPGs, it's a huge departure from it. Maybe the strength of the ES IP will allow them to make some early box sales from people who don't know the night and day difference between the two but it'll quickly be discovered as a weak WoW/TOR clone.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I think with them launching with a subscription fee it will delay people that might other wise rush out and pick up the next Elder Scrolls game. So comparing Skyrim sales to TESO is likely optimistic.

In addition, TESO sucks. Like has been said a million times the game play is NOTHING similar to what you would get with Skyrim, Oblivion etc. So while they are still going to sell shit tons of boxes, they certainly won't retain the subs nor will they make their investment back.

F2P is where this shit show is heading so if you want to pick it up you might as well wait for that. No reason to hop on this horse early.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I love ES and pretty much any ES game is a day 1 week long marathon but there's some complexity behind the strength of the ES IP vs Star Wars.

1. From a lore standpoint SW is undeniable a stronger IP. There's some ES nuts that might disagree but when you look at it objectively I think you'll find ES is pretty standard swords n' magic, even though it is very well developed.
2. From a gameplay standpoint the ES games are tried and true. From Arena to Skyrim we've had strong and reliable entries in a very specific genre of open world filled with tons of content and no limits to where you can go. Nobody knows anything about ES6 but I can all but guarantee anyone who liked ES3/4/5 will like it. The problem is that TESO isn't a continuation of this approach to RPGs, it's a huge departure from it. Maybe the strength of the ES IP will allow them to make some early box sales from people who don't know the night and day difference between the two but it'll quickly be discovered as a weak WoW/TOR clone.
While I'm not saying Daggerfall wasn't lifechanging, it was the buggiest fucking launch imaginable. Soooo many corrupted saves / random crashes,

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
While I'm not saying Daggerfall wasn't lifechanging, it was the buggiest fucking launch imaginable. Soooo many corrupted saves / random crashes,
The very first dungeon I went in to in Daggerfall had a staircase at the beginning and trying to climb it resulted in falling through the terrain and getting stuck.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The very first dungeon I went in to in Daggerfall had a staircase at the beginning and trying to climb it resulted in falling through the terrain and getting stuck.
its-a-trap-20100127-143341.jpg

working as intended

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A lot of people here forget that FoH/Rerolled is a niche site. What we think of games doesn't necessarily filter out to the public. I wouldn't be suprised if TESO gets it's initial investment back, plus profit, in just the box sales alone. No matter how bad TESO may be as a game. And frankly that is what Zenimax is counting on.

It will be just another interesting test of the overall public's ignorance. Will they vote for their hopes and dreams and buy a game that is substandard in the opinion of all of the "experts"? Or will they pass. History is not on the side of the informed.

My vote is for hopium winning. Not that I want it to, but because most people live in a fucked up universe where they pin their hopes and dreams on to the next big thing or lying charlatan, and throw everything away just to follow the Pied Piper of the moment. Chris Roberts is raking in millions based on this game plan, and TESO expects to also, because of the strength of the IP and all the people who will pay for anything Elder Scrolls.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Pay attention to gamers in general, it's hard to see anything positive anywhere. NeoGAF is one of the bigger general gaming communities and it's gettingripped to shredsin the forum. This thing has been shit on since its debut by general gaming media and outside of a couple of random outlets giving it a nod at E3 for having "improved" the entire industry seems to be aware that it's going to shit bomb. It's not a secret and it doesn't take a prophet to predict that it's going to be a failure.

It'll get a few box sales off name alone, but most Elder Scrolls fans seem to be aware, too. TESO is a train wreck that would have felt antiquated had it launched three years ago. Let it move a few hundred thousand units before everyone quits in a month. The emergency F2P switch is already hanging on the wall.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You could be right. Like I said it is an interesting test. A ton of people, gamers included, don't read gaming forums. They just see the pretty lights and the handsome actors and go oooooh, I want one.

Star Wars I made bazillions and it sucked. The IP carried it though. Even Jar Jar couldn't kill it.

Since we are making stupid comparisons now If TESO was a movie it would be Dungeons & Dragons with Marlon Wayans playing all the characters.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Worth it when you got to see some of those isometric boobs in the temples though.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
A lot of people here forget that FoH/Rerolled is a niche site. What we think of games doesn't necessarily filter out to the public. I wouldn't be suprised if TESO gets it's initial investment back, plus profit, in just the box sales alone. No matter how bad TESO may be as a game. And frankly that is what Zenimax is counting on.

It will be just another interesting test of the overall public's ignorance. Will they vote for their hopes and dreams and buy a game that is substandard in the opinion of all of the "experts"? Or will they pass. History is not on the side of the informed.

My vote is for hopium winning. Not that I want it to, but because most people live in a fucked up universe where they pin their hopes and dreams on to the next big thing or lying charlatan, and throw everything away just to follow the Pied Piper of the moment. Chris Roberts is raking in millions based on this game plan, and TESO expects to also, because of the strength of the IP and all the people who will pay for anything Elder Scrolls.
No one gives a shit about the game on NeoGAF or reddit either. Sites that are certainly more than "niche".

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
/\/\ And that.

You could be right. Like I said it is an interesting test. A ton of people, gamers included, don't read gaming forums. They just see the pretty lights and the handsome actors and go oooooh, I want one.

Star Wars I made bazillions and it sucked. The IP carried it though. Even Jar Jar couldn't kill it.
Star Wars had a lot of secrecy behind it, a strong loyal beta base, and for the most part, kept NDA until launch. EA also has a viral marketing budget in the millions of dollars which penetrates forums even worse than Blackwulf to shout down anyone that even came close to saying anything negative. We all saw the results of that game, but yet, you are absolutely correct. It made money.

I have said this a lot, but I will say it again. The day publishers start thinking about opportunity cost lost (in the millions of dollars) instead of short term rip off 2 week profit barns, we will only continue to see a handful of quality games across the entire industry.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So grim1 what do you think week 1 sales will be like?

Oh and Utnayan, you're on the hook for a 1 month avatar bet with Blackwulf saying that week one of ESO sales will be higher than 2 mill.