The Elder Scrolls Online

Troll_sl

shitlord
I actually think the EQ2 economic system was the best, at least at first (they of course screwed it up).

Tie your broker in to your house. Make your house your shopfront. People can either buy through the AH (at a mark-up) or go to your house and get it at cost. Not only does it allow people really interested in it a way to work the system, it also makes houses more "important" and gets people to see that content.

And frankly, EQ2's housing was pretty badass. You just never got to see a lot of it because they took out the impetus to visit other people's homes (other than just visiting).

Caliane

Personally, it is because I didn't sign up for "shopkeeper simulator online". Though I acknowledge a lot of people enjoy trade aspects of online games and it is probably an under-served market.
This is crazy to me. Isn't a marketplace basically the defining trait of building a city and community?
Why do you play mmos and not co-op games? That "living world" that should be defining a mmo, and separating it from the themepark or instanced co-op game, is almost always going to be marketplace orientated. The only other option really is "shared threat". aka the reason forts were built. think of it in terms of ancient civilizations and how they were built. Cities formed via water supplies, trade routes/marketplaces/and forts.

kudos

<Banned>
Because people who talk about how great it was only remember the time they found what they needed for a good price or made a big profit selling something. They forget that 99% of the time they were just sitting there reading scrolling text for hours before logging
Actually I enjoyed looking at all the players and their gear. Back then you could tell what someone was wearing just by looking at it. Seeing all the different races/classes combo's was entertaining and at least on my server the place was packed full of random chat. It was amazing.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
How about folks quit telling others that their opinions and memory of what they did and didn't like isn't true.

Your fucking opinion is fine , you didn't like something , good for you.

Accept that your opinion isn't fact , and that you don't have a magical ability to tell someone else their memory is wrong and they didn't really enjoy something.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Eve is definitely the game I will never play again ; on both trials I tried to play my way alone and it ended being a complete disaster (got scammed / ganked, but I'm being a noob and I'm okay with this policy, I just need to find more time playing EvE with connections). But man, if you think EVE is boring, you should read about EVE stuff regarding politics, backstabbing, scheming, cloak'n'daggers, Ponzi schemes, BoB defenses, treason, quadruple agents, Titan capital ship ganks and other shit. Granted, gameplay wise one could say it's just a 3D Excel with internet chat. Also spaceship drives are boring and leveling could takes shit tons of time, depending of what you're willing to do. But tbh, as a non-EvE player, EvE meta game is so awesome I'd stab my urethra with elephant cotton swabs just to think I'd ever participated in one of those meta community happenings.
I agree. And we can read about it rather than play it. Because while playing, waiting for anything interesting to happen is like watching three months of days of our lives hoping the third Friday show drops the drama.

I agree. And we can read about it rather than play it. Because while playing, waiting for anything interesting to happen is like watching three months of days of our lives hoping the third Friday show drops the drama.
A declaration of:

a) Unemployment
b) A Vagina
c) Homosexuality
D) All of the above

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
I agree. And we can read about it rather than play it. Because while playing,waiting for anything interesting to happenis like watching three months of days of our lives hoping the third Friday show drops the drama.
After all this time people still do not understand that Eve is a game where you create your own shit to happen? I guess there are still too many people wanting to play a single player MMO and just fed items and content like baby food from their mother rather than cooking your own fucking meal.

After all this time people still do not understand that Eve is a game where you create your own shit to happen? I guess there are still too many people wanting to play a single player MMO and just fed items and content like baby food from their mother rather than cooking your own fucking meal.
Cooking is way more fun than eve.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I love that about eve but it's still boring to play. Great ideas I want in better rpgs but still a boring game itself.

Valamyr_sl

shitlord
I've seen some pretty heavy handed criticism of ESO while going through parts of this thread. Its obvious that many think it'll be a huge fail and a hit to the IP, but nothing very clear.

Can someone summarize whats awful about it and why it shouldn't get my money on day one?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Take Skyrim's awful combat and unmodded graphics, then add on-rail's questing and Barren's chat in the background. Boom, you've got ESO.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Take Skyrim's awful combat and unmodded graphics, then add on-rail's questing and Barren's chat in the background. Boom, you've got ESO.
Honestly wouldn't insult skyrim like that. In skyrim you had access to multiple spell schools, varying poisons to modify weapons, power attacks that actually staggered a target, blocking that staggered a target, and satisfying kill animations. This game is first rate trash--though I'm going to try one more time closer to release. Perhaps the WvW is good enough to save it, I really don't know. Also, skyrim is gorgeous even unmodded...this shit is like playdough.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
How about folks quit telling others that their opinions and memory of what they did and didn't like isn't true.

Your fucking opinion is fine , you didn't like something , good for you.

Accept that your opinion isn't fact , and that you don't have a magical ability to tell someone else their memory is wrong and they didn't really enjoy something.
What also bugs me is how enraged they will get when you try to actually explain why you enjoyed game X.
Such a blasphemy!

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
What also bugs me is how enraged they will get when you try to actually explain why you enjoyed game X.
Such a blasphemy!
In a way, it's bro code. It's like trying to stop you from dating that life sucking whore who uses all your money and fucks all your friends. But in the end they have to find that out for themselves when the test results come back.

I was a caster and the combat seemed OK to me. While the questing was on the rails, the quests themselves were good stories in large part. Animations were horrific but the scenery, item and building textures were OK. It's just very unpolished for a game supposedly coming out Spring 2014. It seemed to lack that feeling in Skyrim that no matter where you go, there is some interesting thing to do.

I think it's going to get bumped back to get polish and content and hopefully non-floaty jump animations.

Caliane

you don't understand what he said.
And the why.

This comes up in any "hardcore" pvp discussion. I've noted it in many games. having played "hardcore" pvp games, and "softcore", and of course battlegrounds.

Alot of people hate battlegrounds, and for good reason. But a battleground, in an mmos is like a match in Team fortress, or a moba, etc. Its always there and ready to go. if you want pvp action, it is there at the drop of the hat, with 100 and 1000's of opponents to go up against.

A game like Eve or any of there "hardcore" pvp game, which incurs death penalties, creates a pvp system where 9/10 times when the possibility of pvp occurs, you choose to AVOID it. It is the safe move. Pvp only occurs when YOU feel you have the upper hand, and assured victory. and fights are usually quite lopsided, as that is exactly what happens. one guy trys to run, the other guy has no chance of losing so pushed the attack. 1 in 10000, it was a trick or that small guy had friends close to call, and suddenly real action.
pvp in games of this nature actively discourage actually fighting.
do you like forum drama? do you like tension? do you like ganking people how have no chance of fighting back? do you like spreadsheets and no action? Eve is the game for you.

Battlegrounds are ideal for pvpers who want action. want opponents that will fight back regardless of odds.
Granted.. I do not think battlegrounds are perfected or ideal. there is a better solution out there. They do empty the game world. are too isolated. have too little effect on the economy, etc. There is nothing mmo about that. they are just a fps deathmatch, etc minigame IN the Mmo. and that is clearly a problem.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
you don't understand what he said.
And the why.

This comes up in any "hardcore" pvp discussion. I've noted it in many games. having played "hardcore" pvp games, and "softcore", and of course battlegrounds.

Alot of people hate battlegrounds, and for good reason. But a battleground, in an mmos is like a match in Team fortress, or a moba, etc. Its always there and ready to go. if you want pvp action, it is there at the drop of the hat, with 100 and 1000's of opponents to go up against.

A game like Eve or any of there "hardcore" pvp game, which incurs death penalties, creates a pvp system where 9/10 times when the possibility of pvp occurs, you choose to AVOID it. It is the safe move. Pvp only occurs when YOU feel you have the upper hand, and assured victory. and fights are usually quite lopsided, as that is exactly what happens. one guy trys to run, the other guy has no chance of losing so pushed the attack. 1 in 10000, it was a trick or that small guy had friends close to call, and suddenly real action.
pvp in games of this nature actively discourage actually fighting.
do you like forum drama? do you like tension? do you like ganking people how have no chance of fighting back? do you like spreadsheets and no action? Eve is the game for you.

Battlegrounds are ideal for pvpers who want action. want opponents that will fight back regardless of odds.
Granted.. I do not think battlegrounds are perfected or ideal. there is a better solution out there. They do empty the game world. are too isolated. have too little effect on the economy, etc. There is nothing mmo about that. they are just a fps deathmatch, etc minigame IN the Mmo. and that is clearly a problem.
having played every hardcore pvp game for the last decade i can say with confidence that i dont think you did the same.