The Elder Scrolls Online

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Once again, you should put more thoughts in your statements.

There are definitely some advantages playing a MMORPG on day one (or early access) through pre-purchase, like having fun discovering the world without being spoiled left and right, or bragging about reaching top level/clearing content/looting item first, or having a good laught exploiting broken mechanisms and overpowered builds especially in PvP.

I'm actually starting to wonder what's your MMORPG history seeing you taking such a stand. Maybe I should remind you that this is the MMORPG section, not the Other Games section where Kickstarters are rampant and everyone is holding their guns for Steam sales.
... lol

I have put some thoughts into them, hell even linked some videos that further illustrated them, you view those?

My mmo history started with EQ in 99. Played most of them since, some early access, some not. My statements on pre-orders were on a broad level, not just mmos. Mmos have some merit in terms of early access, but I have also seen early access being eaten away with bad stability (FF 14 for instance I think extended their initial early access due to the bad server stability at launch).

I also remember back when every company was like Blizzard in terms of "It will be ready when it is ready". In the 90s, games went from "coming soon" to released within weeks. It wasn't until console sales exploded (around the Playstation / Xbox era) where we started seeing launch dates mentioned long before the actual release. This happened because as big business took a hold over it, you no longer had small developer studios making games, but huge publishers putting in work orders for them, with shareholders demanding timelines on when they can reap the rewards for their investments.

Small trinkets being added to give gamers the belief that there is value in purchasing a game before they know what it will be like. Games like Kane and Lynch and the Alien example (also in the TB video) would not ever hit release without pre-orders, because once released, people would not buy games like that. However, pushing marketing campaigns, embargoing reviews and information until the end of release, they try to get as many people to buy their games through pre-orders as possible. The mmo equivalent to review embargos is a long lasting NDA.

The people who gain on pre-orders are the shareholders, publishers and developers. Not the gamers, and in the long run it isn't good for us at all as it allows studios to ship worse content, as sales often can be tied to the namebrand and marketing alone, not the actual merit of the product.

Pre-orders now give value before the games even are released, acting like the derivatives of gaming. Derivatives broke the world economy, they are doing no favors for gaming either.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Putting money down on a unknown product is not stupid. It's just taking a risk. It's up to each person to decide if the risk is worth it or not.

What's stupid is throwing around such arguments, because it's basically the kind of thing every single person (including you) does on a daily basis, from buying food at a totally new place, to purchasing a flat off-plan.
Yup. The haters are getting desperate because ESO isnt actually that bad. For anyone to complain about preordering is downright strange. Cancelling a game because they have temporarily rolled back UI access for modders is hilarious. One less whiney bitch in-game I say!

Felmega_sl

shitlord
I could not care less about the exp changes or the UI which will be slowly tweaked and I understand the rationale for that. What I'm more concerned with is proof their tech isn't the steaming pile of shit that it was in the last two beta weekends. I'm not sold on that yet. They screwed up by not showing a stable product last weekend.
This all day. I am concerned with performance hits that occur when too many people congregate in one area. I am also concerned that people will be hopping campaigns when they are losing blah, blah, blah...

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Meh. If they fix the quest spawning issue, then it will be fine. The API change and XP nerf are somewhat regrettable, if only from a philosophical point of view that overnerfing and trying to force gameplay down set paths as guiding principles suck. If that is how they are going to run the game, it will damage whatever shelf life it has.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
rrr_img_63136.jpg

Paid shills receive a free copy, right? No purchase necessary.
tongue.png
Seriously, STFU and GTFO with the SHILL!!!!11!! BS. It was stupid and lame when it was all the rage before, and it still is. The same cast of folks on both sides hasn't really changed that much, other than a few folks who were on the fence pre-ordering and then changing their minds when the last beta weekend patch didn't address the quest/spawn phase instance issue. If they don't fix it, the retail launch will explode and then you asshats can all have a great laugh that your side won. Until then...

ari-gold-gtfo.gif

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Who cares about Adventure zones when you have PVP?
This, basically. I PvE as my break from PvP. Not the other way around. So, AV's will probably be ready by the time I'm just starting to need a break from PvP. I think ZO is betting on this same line of thinking from many players.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Was there a group of people that actually thought they were going to be in for launch? I though we all knew they weren't.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
... lol

I have put some thoughts into them, hell even linked some videos that further illustrated them, you view those?

<stuff>
In this area, I will say that for Champions Online, early access was fun and as great as the beta had been, then there was a retail launch day-0 patch that nerfed the living hell out of everything, completely breaking some archetypes and power sets. Word on the street was that some late-comer ( I want to say it was Bill Roper but I can't recall/can't be assed to look) had decided that the time to max level was way too short and that they had to extend that, so put an untested and unexpected vast overnerf in to extend that TTML. Was a huge, spirit-breaking downer for me personally, even though my personal characters were not that badly damaged, I never trusted the devs or the game again, and ended up not playing most of my pre-bought time.

Was there a group of people that actually thought they were going to be in for launch? I though we all knew they weren't.
There was an article in December quoting an interview with devs saying that they would be in at launch. They then did a press release kind of reveal about them in January or February and never said they would be after release. It's fairly unusual to have zero post leveling PvE content in an MMO. Frankly, they have been the topic of many conversations in this thread and no one ever said "oh those won't be in at release" so I think pretty much everyone thought they would be in at release and now are practicing some historical revisionism.

Caliane

There was an article in December quoting an interview with devs saying that they would be in at launch. They then did a press release kind of reveal about them in January or February and never said they would be after release. It's fairly unusual to have zero post leveling PvE content in an MMO. Frankly, they have been the topic of many conversations in this thread and no one ever said "oh those won't be in at release" so I think pretty much everyone thought they would be in at release and now are practicing some historical revisionism.
Day 45 miracle patch incoming.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Wondering this myself.

What's it called when you do a "self-bait and switch"? A failed marriage? Idk.

Those of you who bought this game on the premise of decent PVE should probably cancel before it's too late.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Wondering this myself.

Those of you who bought this game on the premise of decent PVE should probably cancel before it's too late.
"should probably cancel before it's too late"

lmao.
rolleyes.png

Wondering this myself.

So basically half the game is just going to be crap in your opinion?

Wow. Thanks for telling us before now that there would be no Adventure Zones at release.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>

lmao.
rolleyes.png
Not sure what you are rolling your eyes about here in internet land. A lot of GMG folks are screwed right now, are trying to cancel, and can't.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Those derpy UI changes made me cancel my preorder, shutting off the basics on a UI (I already hate) is just amazing.