The Elder Scrolls Online

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I'm not arguing the subjective nature of 'good content', 'fun content', 'boring content'. I didn't even mention that as a hang-up. There's no one size-fits all for that.

I'm talking about HOW the content was designed; purely (other than dungeons and those haphazard rifts) for single-player fare in a worse way than SWTOR was. This game basically was to be mirrored so that purists can do what they usually do in the previous ES games, pick loads of barrels and wander around aimlessly by yourself if you want to. I love doing that in Skyrim, I did not like doing that in ESO. If you group up with just one person in this game it's overkill for the mobs you face, which makes it instantly unfun. That leads to people wanting/having to solo everything. There isn't any reason to run the 1-50 dungeons more than once because after that SP is gotten, it's pretty much a done deal for most of the people who quit.

My point is that Zeni is going to have to choose purists or tourists to get out of this hole they are in. Implementing things that are making the tourists leave will just piss the purists off. You make it sound so simple that 'all they need to do is improve the group aspect'. If you have a mmo which by nature is a group game and you have to fixthat, you're in trouble. That should be the first thing you get right, not the last thing. Trying to please everyone at this late date is impossible.

The purists all say "Oh, they just have to fix one or two things to keep me subbed. The game is fine." while the tourist view is "Oh, they have to fix too much stuff for me to sub. The game is a mess".
It boggles my mind that anyone who has played WOW or any MMO released after WOW would be surprised that a MMO has some content designed for solo players, some designed for groups, some designed for raids and some designed for PVP. AFAIK EQ1 was the last major MMO that was only concerned with one major aspect of gameplay (PVE). Thanks to WoW, MMOs now try to satisfy multiple gamer types. Whether that is a good idea or not is an entirely different issue.

This game has some legit design issues, most of which Tuco covered in his list, that need to be addressed to improve the overall quality of the game. I haven't played a MMO yet that didn't have some major issue(s) that need to be fixed but some of the criticism is just ridiculous. I have also never played a MMO that wasn't constantly improving the game by releasing bug fixes, balance fixes, new content, etc.

I'm rational enough to believe ZOS wants their game to be as popular and enjoyed by as many players as possible. Good developers take pride in their work so if they spent the past few years of their life working on this game, you know good and well they want it to succeed for several years. For that to happen, IMO the game can not focus on pleasing just one type of gamer. IMO it needs to appeal to the TES purists, PVE raiders as well as the PVP community.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They could make 100% of Tuco's list (like Schindler's list but with game developers) the game will still be shit because group healing in PvP is as competitive as driving a Google car on a Nascar track.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Amazon selling this for ?24 now. Boy that fell far and fast. Possibly the biggest cash grab in the history of MMOs ? Can't remember anything else selling at the price point this did.

edit : ?21.30 now, 24 hours later. Wonder if they smell F2P inc ?

Blackwulf

N00b
For the record, ran a 4 man with guildies in Craglorn last night and it was fun as hell.

The buffed up VR mobs is a bug. Zenimax said a fix is incoming. Not really that big a deal, though, I couldn't even notice a difference.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/880134/#Comment_880134

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
The game is casual with 1 group content dungeon per zone. New zone sounds like a big dungeon. So this would be their attempt to put in an endgame raid zone?

Seems odd to market it like its another usual zone when clearly its not. Unsure what the problem is? Sounds like the usual way MMOs have done over the years. Release a new harder zone to keep peeps. Will see once I am able to scout it out.

Not a purist about this game but would have liked to see some things in it like the housing and crime system. Other MMO things like a real crafting/marketing system would have been nice. Seems a bit of a broad assumption that all PVE players in this game are purists. Dont think its a fight against purists and pvp players. The PVE just has problems, I dont think that give a cause to label it as a purist thing.

The fight over nameplates is a PVP/Dev thing. You have a Dev that is stuck in their way soo much they are out of PHASE with the known market and doesnt want to give in because they think it will resemble too much like wOw. This goes in line with FPS players wanting a MMO to bend to their needs in a PVE game! I just love it when my PVE game is nerf'd because of some PVP BS.

The bitching PVP players complaints with the game, I have over the PVE problems and lack there of. There is a shit-ton of missing things not in the game that should have been there on both sides of IP and general MMO. I would prefer the nameplates myself, or just turn on ppl in my friends list or guild only. Dont need to see everyone.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
The game is casual with 1 group content dungeon per zone. New zone sounds like a big dungeon. So this would be their attempt to put in an endgame raid zone?

Seems odd to market it like its another usual zone when clearly its not. Unsure what the problem is? Sounds like the usual way MMOs have done over the years. Release a new harder zone to keep peeps. Will see once I am able to scout it out.
Craglorn has never been marketed as a regular zone. Its been known marketed as an end game PVE "adventure zone" from the outset. The regular Craglorn content is designed for a 4 man group. The instanced content in Craglorn is designed for a 12 man raid.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Almost every single AAA MMO had to launch grouping tools after release. GW2, Rift, SWTOR off the top of my head.
That's what I mean. ESO had itwhenthey launched. Those others had to give some kind of explanations once they released it afterwards which I guess is understandable, since like with TOR it was a few months after release before they dropped theirs. Those playerbases had an excuse on not knowing how to use it I guess.

Just struck me as odd that a game that launched with a LFG tool intact at launch had to release a video to it's base a month after the game launches to show how to actually use it. Not a huge deal, just a chuckle and confirmation that the wrong message was sent out by Zeni or else they've managed to corral the stupidest mmo base in the history of the genre somehow.
AFAIK EQ1 was the last major MMO that was only concerned with one major aspect of gameplay (PVE).
Get out more.

1. FFXI
2. FFXIV
3. Vanguard
4. EQ2
5. LOTRO
6. TSW
etc etc etc

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
free time is up tomorrow so wife and I canceled. Really tried to like this one, spent a lot of time doing trade skills and quests but found it rather disappointing and have no interest in GW 2.0 pvp, maybe play it again when it goes F2P. Do wish we could see the sales and active sub numbers.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
That's what I mean. ESO had itwhenthey launched. Those others had to give some kind of explanations once they released it afterwards which I guess is understandable, since like with TOR it was a few months after release before they dropped theirs. Those playerbases had an excuse on not knowing how to use it I guess.

Just struck me as odd that a game that launched with a LFG tool intact at launch had to release a video to it's base a month after the game launches to show how to actually use it. Not a huge deal, just a chuckle and confirmation that the wrong message was sent out by Zeni or else they've managed to corral the stupidest mmo base in the history of the genre somehow.
Get out more.

1. FFXI
2. FFXIV
3. Vanguard
4. EQ2
5. LOTRO
6. TSW
etc etc etc
Didn't play the first two but 4.5 & 6 all had some form of PVP in the game. Played VG but only for a couple of weeks so I'll take your word on it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Didn't play the first two but 4.5 & 6 all had some form of PVP in the game. Played VG but only for a couple of weeks so I'll take your word on it.
EQ1 had some form of pvp too. Probably more so than others on that list since it had faction pvp servers and FFA pvp servers. It just wasn't a focus and they let it die on the side, the same way as these games did(no idea about TSW though I didn't play that). EQ2 had absolute trash arenas they added very late(like 3+years after launch?), lotro had the weird ass pvp system where you could play monsters instead of your character.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Craglorn is PvE content patch with wide range gameplay fixes. While new content for V10 people would sound cool, it's generally frowned upon since 4-12 man PvE content feels underwhelming and unresponsive (most of my friends play from Europe). VR8-10 mobs have been buffed to hell, they have 4k health and light attack for 500. ZOS says it's unintended. Patch also broke achievements (not a gamebreaking thing tbh) and while some people report it also broke skill points allocation, it's unclear how much people got affected.

ZOS also tried to stealth fix some abilities (biting jabs, etc) with adding 1.1s GCD (General CoolDown) to some cheesy abilities like Rushed Ceremony so they can't really be anim cut spammed anymore (yes, you can anim cut a lot of abilities, shocker indeed). Crag Patch also brought memory leak (they're working on it), group leader icon / compass position, nerfed some AoEs (maybe) and Shield Bash spam (badly). Also some Nightblade abilities got fixed, while others got broken or simply disregarded. Next patch, folks !
Nightblade class is a mess
I'm not gonna list every bug anyone encountered, the major feel is that people would have prefered they work on bug fixes than addind new content. It's understandable. What's not understandable is the blatlant abuse of exploits in PvP (Infinite Batswarm then, now Caltrops and double dip abilities) wheere while they acknoledge on them, they have to literally take WEEKS to fix it. Weeks. Weeks of a sub you pay every month.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Well none of the ones I listed took the PvP seriously. The PvE was the main point of the mmos and the PvP was just something for the PvEers to do when they got bored.

Having 'some form of PvP' isn't really saying much for the industry thus far. LOTRO didn't put much effort into the Creeps/Freeps at all. TSW has a PvP area, but it's clear the game's main focus is PvE as are everyone of those I listed. FFXI and FFXIV have e-sports PvP. Anyone ever playing those I listed will tell you clearly that they still only focused on PvE as the main thing, the PvP was always tacked on as an afterthought or treated as not being very important to why people were subbing. Even Rift was about a 75/25 split.

I think a ratio fairly close would be something like 75/25 in the majority of Top 10 AAA mmos other than EvE regarding PvE/PvP. I'm not sure what it is in ESO, I just know there's more single player content than TOR and that's saying something in a most negative way.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm not gonna list every bug anyone encountered, the major feel is that people would have prefered they work on bug fixes than addind new content. It's understandable. What's not understandable is the blatlant abuse of exploits in PvP (Infinite Batswarm then, now Caltrops and double dip abilities) wheere while they acknoledge on them, they have to literally take WEEKS to fix it. Weeks. Weeks of a sub you pay every month.
Im sure everyone can agree that coding has its own time frame and some shit is just more complex than other shit. But I seriously have to agree with this, regardless of that notion. Any experience that a player has that is ruined by a bug should be the top priority in being fixed. The base game should be as rock solid as it can be before any new content is introduced, especially when its only for the top percentage of the player base. I feel like Zenimax's priorities have just always been fucked up, no matter how much I love the Elder Scrolls franchise.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm not trying to defend ZOS here, but they have a lot of people working on squashing bugs. There's no reason they can't have the rest of the team work on new content in the mean time.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm not trying to defend ZOS here, but they have a lot of people working on squashing bugs. There's no reason they can't have the rest of the team work on new content in the mean time.
Well I will defend them. Animators, artists, developers etc all have their own areas of expertise. You wouldn't ask your cable guy to look at your water heater. The problem with ESO has been design issues and quite frankley some piss poor engineering in some of the techincal aspects of the game. It isn't that they don't want to fix some of these bugs, they simply don't know how.