The Elder Scrolls Online

Ridas

Pay to play forum
AA is an excellent game!
Itzena comfirmed carebear
wink.png

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey, at least it's not Wildstar or Archeage.
In defense of Wildstar (I didn't sub after the free 30) it seemed like a decent game and combat wasn't bad at all. The tuning on dungeons was too tight for my super casual playstyle and I didn't go into the game with anyone I knew to run them. Having to train every group on Stormtalon every time I wanted to run it got old real quick, and I could only see it getting worse in the future.

AA I didn't play enough and I don't really enjoy PVP so for me that was just ill-spent money.

Blackwulf

N00b
Wait for it to be free. In 2 months. On Xbox One and PS4 for their free games as they realize the buy to play method wont work either, the suckers are gone, and they try to grow an install base to grow micro tranactions. Thing is, it worked for SWTOR because that was actually fun for the single player story lines. This game sucks all around. Still wondering how Matt Firor and Paul Sage still have jobs. What a fucked up industry we weave.

Schags - - I got your message on steam. Drunk gaming night is 14th
wink.png
Hide your wives. Mine works that weekend.
So you're saying it's not going to sell a lot of console copies? Care to make it a wager?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Haha let's not go down that road again. If they get shitty sales like they did for PC they won't expose it and you can't be proven to lose. If they get great sales they'll publish it and you can be proven to win.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think it's going to do very well on consoles. No sub, big improvments since pc release. ES does very well on consoles.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Haha let's not go down that road again. If they get shitty sales like they did for PC they won't expose it and you can't be proven to lose. If they get great sales they'll publish it and you can be proven to win.
This.

Also, Paul Sage should be pumping my gas where he belongs.

Hell, I'll even watch him pump Brad McQuaid's gas.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actually looking for a MMO with open PvP (kind of), maybe I'll give ESO another try. I'd honestly like to see what they did with animations rework, EU located servers and such. Also 1.6 patch notes looks interesting, as other said it feels like it should have been how the game got released.

esloan_sl

shitlord
I just started playing the game again because of Trion's screw-ups with Archeage. I tried WoW again but got burnt out on that quickly. Don't think I will ever be able to play WoW for more than a couple weeks anymore. Its just not the game for me anymore.
frown.png

Anyway, I decided to try out ESO again. I bought the Imp Edition before release (mainly because I wanted the statue and book) but I only played for about a month before the bugs, gold spam and bots made me quit.

I rolled a brand new character and started from scratch. I am now level 34 on that character and I am surprised how much the game has improved. I am enjoying it quite a bit. And it seems many others are as well. I have been seeing players in every zone so far and the PvP campaigns look reasonably busy, though I have yet to do alotof PvP.

This is totally anecdotal evidence but I joined a guild pretty early on while leveling and we constantly have people on at all hours and a pretty decent number as well. I regularly see 100+ on during prime time and even a good number late at night that are mostly Australian players.

I think the game is going to do fine as B2P, as long as they get content out at a reasonable clip and so long as that content isn't overpriced or game breaking. I logged onto the PTS and played around a bit and the patch is a definite improvement. Combat seems smoother and the Champion system is decent. I don't have any endgame experience so its hard for me to say how good or bad the Champion System is going to be but it seems okay and fairly deep.

I don't know, I like the game right now. The questing is a nice change and so is the combat. I like the graphics and the armor dye system is cool. Its not wildly innovative but I am having fun.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Actually looking for a MMO with open PvP (kind of), maybe I'll give ESO another try. I'd honestly like to see what they did with animations rework, EU located servers and such. Also 1.6 patch notes looks interesting, as other said it feels like it should have been how the game got released.
One of the fundamental problems with ESO's pvp is that the 'serious PVPers', or the people who PVP 6+ hours a night, are generally focused on accruing points to get to the higher ranks. This is sort of deviant because often the best way to complete objectives does not reward a lot of points.

Usually what you'll see is the two main zergs fighting, then a couple small groups per side of organized and elite players sort of picking off the sidelines and hitting their streaming reinforcements. When the reinforcements start to overwhelm them they'll just jump over to another spot to sort of leech of players. They're kind of like the bandits and looters that surround large scale wars. Meanwhile the small groups of organized players often ignore each other because it just hurts their farming. I spent a lot of time working with them and it's fun basically farming disorganized players but knowing you're contributing little to the war effort and knowing you're focused on fighting scrubs is boring.

And sure, you can ignore that paradigm and focus on map control which is what we'd do. So we'd get our raid together, tell the 6+ hour a day PVPers to come with us and we'd paint the map yellow over the night by basically strategically attacking unprotected keeps (PvD...). Then those PVPers would see they made 10% the honor they normally would that evening.

The other big problem is that it's mostly anonymous. When you play a lot you get to know the regular PVPers, so if you play for a couple weeks you might get to know 20ish enemy players by name but everyone else may as well be an NPC. You get to know a few more allied players too. Back when I played there were basically no meaningful guilds after a couple months because it didn't make sense. Our regular PVPers would just join with other random regular PVPers and shun anyone who didn't help them farm rank.

Note that this is all from my experience playing the first two months of release. I'm sure Blackwulf and Rescorla will come in and say, "Oh nooo it's sooo different now" but I don't think they have the PVP credibility to really state an opinion on it. If you try it and find it's great let us know.

Vitality

HUSTLE
then a couple small groups per side of organized and elite players sort of picking off the sidelines and hitting their streaming reinforcements. When the reinforcements start to overwhelm them they'll just jump over to another spot to sort of leech of players. They're kind of like the bandits and looters that surround large scale wars.
Skirm1 4 life

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
One of the fundamental problems with ESO's pvp is that the 'serious PVPers', or the people who PVP 6+ hours a night, are generally focused on accruing points to get to the higher ranks. This is sort of deviant because often the best way to complete objectives does not reward a lot of points.

Usually what you'll see is the two main zergs fighting, then a couple small groups per side of organized and elite players sort of picking off the sidelines and hitting their streaming reinforcements. When the reinforcements start to overwhelm them they'll just jump over to another spot to sort of leech of players. They're kind of like the bandits and looters that surround large scale wars. Meanwhile the small groups of organized players often ignore each other because it just hurts their farming. I spent a lot of time working with them and it's fun basically farming disorganized players but knowing you're contributing little to the war effort and knowing you're focused on fighting scrubs is boring.

And sure, you can ignore that paradigm and focus on map control which is what we'd do. So we'd get our raid together, tell the 6+ hour a day PVPers to come with us and we'd paint the map yellow over the night by basically strategically attacking unprotected keeps (PvD...). Then those PVPers would see they made 10% the honor they normally would that evening.

The other big problem is that it's mostly anonymous. When you play a lot you get to know the regular PVPers, so if you play for a couple weeks you might get to know 20ish enemy players by name but everyone else may as well be an NPC. You get to know a few more allied players too. Back when I played there were basically no meaningful guilds after a couple months because it didn't make sense. Our regular PVPers would just join with other random regular PVPers and shun anyone who didn't help them farm rank.

Note that this is all from my experience playing the first two months of release. I'm sure Blackwulf and Rescorla will come in and say, "Oh nooo it's sooo different now" but I don't think they have the PVP credibility to really state an opinion on it. If you try it and find it's great let us know.
Tuco,

It's beneath you to steep down to Utnayan's level of dishonesty. You know good and well I have pretty much agreed with every single one of your criticisms about PVP in TESO. When Vitality asked me a couple pages back whether he should come back to the game, I gave him an honest answer of No because I know he likes to PVP and it terms of "meaningfulness" not much has changed.

You also know good and well if I were to go into the Archeage thread and start making up shit that was easily proven untrue in order to try and convince people to not play that game you would probably be one of the first to ridicule me and would likely give me an infraction or ban me for "bad posting".

BTW you will be happy to know one of your suggestions to improve PVP is being included in 1.6. The AOE cap is being increased up to 60 so only the baddies will stay clumped together. Here are some other changes to PVP that you might approve of.

-Ultimate regeneration is slowed down across the board so now you want see people spamming OP ultimates like bat swarm.

- Armor no longer mitigates siege damage. If you get hit by siege damage you are likely to get one-shot, especially if you are in light armor.

- The armor system got totally redesigned and now wearing Heavy Armor in PVP increases your survivability.

You can decide whether you think it's an improvement or not.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
In all honesty I don't remember what your specific complaints or compliments were toward ESO's pvp. I just know that when you don't know a component of ESO you make up positive bullshit.

All that stuff sounds good. Doesn't change the fundamental problems of the game though. The core of meaningful PVP is an aggressor taking something from someone. That doesn't exist in ESO and likely never will. BTW: Are you saying that bat swarming is still OP as fuck and hasn't been nerfed yet?

Vitality

HUSTLE
What's sad here Resco is that pretty much all of Tuco's suggestions need to get put into this game to make it worth anything to the PVP community.

The fact that they're slow rolling one of his suggestions in 1.6 is just a poor attempt to garner some faith from the pvp boys.

It's a sad day when ZOS' PVP team calls you up for a list of required improvements and then tells you to piss off.

Edit: I'm pretty fired up over this one, those fuckers straight up re-did Cold Harbour like 3 times before even considering one change to PVP that was worth a shit. No thanks man.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They didn't tell us to piss off. They had 'ok' answers for most of our specific moderate complaints, half-answers for our major complaints and 'sorry that's not where we're going' for our fundamental complaints.

Bottom line is that meaningful PVP is built on fighting someone or a group you know or taking something from someone. ESO has neither and never will.

Vitality

HUSTLE
They didn't tell us to piss off. They had 'ok' answers for most of our specific moderate complaints, half-answers for our major complaints and 'sorry that's not where we're going' for our fundamental complaints.
Sounds like "Piss off" to me my man. Maybe I'm just an asshole though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
ESO is like a poorly run vegan sandwich shop operating in a rodeo. Even if they fix the numerous issues with their avocado club and whipped peanut butter & honey wrap, they're still giving vegan food to people who want steak.

That sentence took an extraordinarily long time because I couldn't think of two decent vegan sandwiches. I don't even think honey is vegan?

Anyway, you can't walk up to the Vegan shop, tell them to serve steak and then get upset that they say no.