The Elder Scrolls Online

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Nobody is swooping in to attack you. You are charging to the defence of this game even when the slightest criticism is uttered. You've been doing it for over a year. Other people are not the problem here, you are.

Can we PLEASE discuss the game itself from this point forward Instead of trying to score points in a meaningless argument that has been resolved for many many months?
I'm perfectly fine with discussing the game itself. It's what I've been doing for the past year. I can discuss the good with the bad. You can't actually have any kind of worthwhile discussion unless all sides of the debate are covered. The problem with TESO is no one is allowed to actually discuss what is good about the game without the army of haters swooping in trying to discredit them. Since you're making a big deal about trying to get the mods to give me an infraction, how many times have you reported Utnayan for shitting up the thread?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'm perfectly fine with discussing the game itself. It's what I've been doing for the past year. I can discuss the good with the bad. You can't actually have any kind of worthwhile discussion unless all sides of the debate are covered. The problem with TESO is no one is allowed to actually discuss what is good about the game without the army of haters swooping in trying to discredit them. Since you're making a big deal about trying to get the mods to give me an infraction, how many times have you reported Utnayan for shitting up the thread?
You will not bait me into your shitpile. Sorry man.

Anyone else having issues with PSN today?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I appreciate the response Rescorla. I didn't expect anything that substantial.

BTW this thread is so fucking queer that Kuriin thinks y'all are faggots.

And I'm chuckling at the tags for this thread.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Maybe instead of arguing with people about whether their opinion is wrong or not, you could argue based on the merits you see in the game. What do you think ESO has done right?
Background first. I'm an old pen and paper RPGer from the 1970s. Started with basic D&D when it first came out. From high school thru college, always had a group of friends to game with with Warhammer being my favorite RPG system. We all graduate, go our different ways, and the pen and paper days were over. Fast forward a decade or so and online gaming created the opportunity to recreate the social pen and paper experience.

That is what TESO (as well as a few other MMOs) does very well. The dungeons are very well designed so if you like dungeon crawling with friends ( especially using voice chat), it provides a nice immersive, escapist experience. If you like to solo, then the PVE quests can be immersive as well.

The crux of the matter is what does each person want out of their online gaming experience. Cooperative PVE with guildmates to pass a couple of hours of the day is what appeals to me. If my time is limited I want the ability to go out and solo but still get a sense of progression. TESO addresses both of those requirements.

There are some obvious areas where it can improve but as long as it meets those two requirements then it is worth playing.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Trying to sort through this to find out why it sucks ass. From what I'm gathering it's because it's yet another WoW-clone or some shit? Or are we just butt-hurt it isn't Skyrim in space?
Bad combat mechanics, lag, problems with phasing, no nameplates, animation issues etc.

Honestly it's worth $20 bucks to run around the first time if you consider it a standard MMO type of game. Not sure if it's worth more than that or for any longer term consideration.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Thanks Draegan. I guess I'll wait till I catch it on a sale then. Still not bored of DDO somehow. I think I have a fetish for narrators. I can watch Pocoyo with my kids for hours.

Oh, and EQ was replicated and is one of the -most- popular games out there. It features everything you loved about it. A plethora of egotistical cunts sitting around for hours at a time occasionally bragging about some meaningless accomplishment while sharing useless tidbits about themselves and every so often clicking a few buttons when the respawn timer pops. Forced grouping if you want to make any meaningful progress in reaching the end game, having to put up with idiots and drama. Developers that flat out don't give a shit about you and don't even understand their own product half the time. You tend to know who the top people are in any given region and often check out them out. Buggy and broken with tons of exploits you can take advantage of to scam idiots out of their information and cash that never get fixed or even become 'features.'

Facebook is the best EverQuest clone that exists.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Trying to sort through this to find out why it sucks ass. From what I'm gathering it's because it's yet another WoW-clone or some shit? Or are we just butt-hurt it isn't Skyrim in space?
I have been playing it and having fun. Its absolutely mindless combat is entertaining in a certain way though.

I have been very busy lately so I only have two days a week to really game. My two days off work I sit in a comfy chair, I listen to a bunch of podcasts all day and just run around killin shit and doing quests. I skip all the quest chat and get to the killin monsters part. Every couple hours I go back to town and do some crafting etc. After 5-6pm my buddies all get off work and we goof around on the mic and kill shit together. Playing it like this is quite entertaining.

I would say if you put in any more effort than this the game would get old, quickly.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Thanks Draegan. I guess I'll wait till I catch it on a sale then. Still not bored of DDO somehow. I think I have a fetish for narrators. I can watch Pocoyo with my kids for hours.

Oh, and EQ was replicated and is one of the -most- popular games out there. It features everything you loved about it. A plethora of egotistical cunts sitting around for hours at a time occasionally bragging about some meaningless accomplishment while sharing useless tidbits about themselves and every so often clicking a few buttons when the respawn timer pops. Forced grouping if you want to make any meaningful progress in reaching the end game, having to put up with idiots and drama. Developers that flat out don't give a shit about you and don't even understand their own product half the time. You tend to know who the top people are in any given region and often check out them out. Buggy and broken with tons of exploits you can take advantage of to scam idiots out of their information and cash that never get fixed or even become 'features.'

Facebook is the best EverQuest clone that exists.
So what you are saying is that Utnayan should be playing Farmville?

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I have been playing it and having fun.
That's pretty much any game honestly though. I had fun playing fucking VanGuard during the alpha but that's because I had 3 good friends to play with. Tried again post release by myself and it was awful. Any terrible game can be good if you have mates to play it with.

So what you are saying is that Utnayan should be playing Farmville?
Or any facebook game really. EQ was basically IRC with the ability to kill a few gnolls every 28~33 minutes. My mother sits on it for 5+ hours a day, every so often she takes another shot at beating the level she's stuck on in candy crush, then she goes back to chatting with her sisters and occasionally catching up on the latest gossip involving the local celebrities or bragging about some new recipe she found while she waits for her lives in Candy Crush to 'respawn'.

It's so ridiculously similar to what we were doing in EQ. EQ was first and foremost a social network. I mean fuck, who didn't spend hours on Alla's or EQcasters or whatever looking at all the loot they eventually wanted to get and writing it down and how to get it? How the fuck is that not pinterest?

Leto Eu`Acumen

Peasant
I mean fuck, who didn't spend hours on Alla's or EQcasters or whatever looking at all the loot they eventually wanted to get and writing it down and how to get it?How the fuck is that not pinterest?
We went to war together man. Do not kill my memories.

I still have a hellacious scar on the back of my shoulder I got when I was rushing to the bathroom (long story) during a Cazic Thule raid....instead of leaving the raid to treat my shoulder, I sat there and bled whist using my right hand to cover the gash in my left shoulder while cleric'ing with my left hand only.

I did get the gods damned Halo that day though! (had that fucker 'pinned' for months!)

....ok, so I was an idiot, but for whatever it is worth, and in all seriousness, I still look back on those times with a smile on my face.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Sup Leto.

Yeah, my Aunt called me at 1 in the morning once because she needed me to log into her facebook account and water her crops since she'd been without power for a few hours and it didn't look like it was coming back anytime soon. The last time someone called me at 1 in the morning to do anything computer related was to log on to kill a dragon. The similarities are endless.

I'm not trying to shit on our time in EQ, don't get me wrong. Nobody held a gun to my head and told me you have to play this game for 6 years. That being said, it was an IRC chat room, that's what I liked about it. That and exploiting the fuck out of the game. Every new zone that came out my first question is, "Where can i gravity-flux myself to the most advantage..."

Leto Eu`Acumen

Peasant
Yeah, my Aunt called me at 1 in the morning once because she needed me to log into her facebook account and water her crops since she'd been without power for a few hours and it didn't look like it was coming back anytime soon. The last time someone called me at 1 in the morning to do anything computer related was to log on to kill a dragon. The similarities are endless.
lol, yea you are not entirely wrong.

I had to bite my tongue hard about TESO during the beta....I'd read what was said here and want to chime in, but some others were already saying what I wanted to say anyway, so I just honored the NDA from the sidelines.

I don't know what ESO has turned into since then (so I won't even try to have an opinion about what the game is like now), but I kid you not, it was hands down the worst beta experience I've ever been a part of in my life....and I don't say that lightly, it really was the worst. It wasn't the people either....some of the PRX folks were kind enough to invite me along, so I had good company, but gods almighty the beta itself... I've been in Beta's where questionable design choices were made along the way, and I've been in Beta's where technical problems made things almost unplayable....but I had never before been a part of a Beta where the gameplay and gaming experience (and general experience as a beta tester even outside the game itself) got progressively worse over time with every single patch. It was a running joke with some of us betting on what they were going to take *OUT* next...and every gods damn patch they'd exceed our expectations about what they could do to make the game worse.

Before the beta even ended, it got to a point where I would not have downloaded this game even if it were free.

To whomever enjoys/enjoyed this game, more power to you - by all means play on and enjoy yourself....but from my point of view, any derision this game got was well deserved.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Rolled a breton sorcerer. What specs/skills should I go from scratch to be a bad ass DPS EQ style wizard for pve?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Rolled a breton sorcerer. What specs/skills should I go from scratch to be a bad ass DPS EQ style wizard for pve?
For newb levels:

Reroll Altmer for added shock damage.

For ease of leveling a sorc, grab a two hander. crystal fragments -> critical rush -> endless fury.

Unstable clanfear is a great pet, u can deactivate him for a huge self heal in a pinch.

Use daedric curse (velocious curse) for added DPS if needed on certain mobs.

Focus on grinding out destro staff (purchase skills, load as many as u can onto your hotbar before quest turn-ins) to get Impulse. Then GG AOE Grind it out.

For later levels high end PvE DPS: roll a dunmer DK

YxxAn_sl

shitlord
I swear it felt like the collective mind of Rerolled laughed at me for pressing the buy button on my PS4 but it looked OK for some casual gaming.

Made a Nightblade, but not sure what I want to play. Something thats good solo PVE?

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
If LinkedIn is accurate, Rich Lambert has replaced him. Maybe now we will get nameplates.
ZOS officially confirmed Sage is gone and Lambert replaced him. Lambert worked on Oblivion which IMO had a significantly better RPG system than Skyrim. I always thought it was lame how Skyrim dumbed down the RPG stat system into just Magicka and Stamina instead of using Oblivion's RPG system. Hopefully some of those features will find its way into the game.