The Elder Scrolls Online

Sean_sl

shitlord
Dude, leveling in groups in EQ was not some magically difficult experience either. Otherwise those mouthbreathers would have never made it to raiding to begin with.

EQ is, was, and always will be a joke on every level. Sorry to shit on your rose colored nostalgia, but it's true.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Note that we invented CH chains because most of our healers were far too brain dead for us to win with anything else.
I would disagree with this statement, because when your most efficient spell is cast 10s in advance, and you literally cannot try to anticipate stuff because your tank dies twice during your cast time, then there is no other solution but a CH chain.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
well, you WoW nard danglers are just as hilarious if you think there was anything even remotely difficult about raiding in WoW. neither game was inherently "difficult." winning the masters is difficult, playing a video game is not. but at least in EQ, if you sucked as a player you may not be exposed during raiding, but you sure as shit were in a group. i played both games and didn't find anything about WoW any more difficult than what i saw in EQ. making people hit a button at a specific time or have 40 people circle jerk in unison isn't any more difficult than positioning a mob in EQ and having a MT and a CH chain going.
The only truly challenging content I have ever run up against in an mmo is PvP. In PvE the difficult challenges are usually those the players make up. Like being the first to finish an expansion, the first player to solo a named in Western Wastes or some such. And then the challege comes as much or more from the preparation and prerequisites as the encounter itself.

Carving out time from RL is the biggest challenge of PvE in mmos.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I would disagree with this statement, because when your most efficient spell is cast 10s in advance, and you literally cannot try to anticipate stuff because your tank dies twice during your cast time, then there is no other solution but a CH chain.
No, most our healers wereliterallystupid as fuck and some of the worst players I have seen in my entire life. I really cannot understate how bad some of them were. They weren't even the ones who came up with CH chains, our MT was because most of them could not think for themselves at all.

Sadly our luck with brain dead healers also continued into WoW, where it was even more pronounced.

I wish I was being hyperbolic even in the slightest. Our history with healers was an extremely frustrating, painful experience.

Just curious since I played a cleric in EQ, but whats your criteria for being a good or bad healer? I'm just having trouble wrapping my brain around the implications. Or are you just saying they were terrible terrible people in general.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Dude, leveling in groups in EQ was not some magically difficult experience either. Otherwise those mouthbreathers would have never made it to raiding to begin with.

EQ is, was, and always will be a joke on every level. Sorry to shit on your rose colored nostalgia, but it's true.
i love it when people like you use the word nostalgia like it's an insult. maybe you should look up the definition before you try using it? nostalgia is a word which precisely encapsulates how i recall my time playing everquest. you know what word comes to mind when recalling my time playing warcraft? forgettable.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Just curious since I played a cleric in EQ, but whats your criteria for being a good or bad healer? I'm just having trouble wrapping my brain around the implications. Or are you just saying they were terrible terrible people in general.
They sucked at doing anything and everything. They were barely functional as people and I have no clue why they were even playing the game, if you could even call what they were doing playing.

I can't even imagine the level of hate and disdain that some of our tanks had.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
MMO Healing is one of those things that really only appeals to a certain type of person and in that respect is a rather unusual construct in gaming. Tanks and DPS are pretty much the same as in solo play of any number of other 1st person or 3rd-over-the-shoulder games, but healers stare at health bars and make them go up. In that respect the old Arcade Game 'Tapper' (or Root Beer Tapper for kid-friendly arcades) is about as close to a early-generation MMO healer simulation as you are likely to find.

Finding someone willing to put the necessary effort in to be good at it yet still okay with the monotony of actually doing it wasn't easy. Additionally the majority of healers seem to be female. There are probably lots of reasons why this is so, but it adds a Mars/Venus dynamic to things as well.

Siliconemelons

When your tanks/knights can box a cleric or two and keep a CH rotation just fine vs a "full time" cleric that CANNOT GRASP THE CONCEPT of a CH rotation let alone what to do if the person before them goes OOM/Dies and how to...you know...GO IN THEIR PLACE... that is the kind of clerics Sean may be talking about ... or worse...

Most of the time on Veeshan you aska cleric for a rez they dont respond because they are A) from japan or B) they literally do not understand

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Well yes there is that as well. I sometimes forget that EQ was the game which I saw a buddy playing while completely drop dead drunk and inquired of him "what are you doing?".

"Raiding. I think Plane of something" Was his semi-coherant reply.

Noting that he was barely able to focus his eyes much less do anything of importance I asked "what class?"

"Clerics" He replied.

"ClericS?" I ask. "You are multiboxing?"

"Yeah, you know. Heal chain and all..."

He then showed me how he was the entire heal chain and then went off to get more Jack N Coke (I noted that he had long ago run out of Coke) and giggled when he came back to a screen of bitching about how they had wiped.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's only ever been one game where I've read books while hitting the skill cap: EQ.

And with WoW, depending on the encounter and your class/build, maximizing your dps rotation while avoiding damage could be hard. That's why very few guilds had consistent class-based modality in damage meters. Even in my guild, which had good DPS who worked very hard at maximizing their DPS, we'd regularly have an exceptional few who stood above the rest.

Even healing in raids in WoW was challenging if you weren't really hard-assigned to a tank, which I almost never was. If you were simply reacting to damage seen in your UI you weren't being very effective. You had to anticipate damage based on the encounter and your personal knowledge of the players in the raid. I knew exactly who in the raid would need the runspeed buff I could give when X happened in Y encounter and I hit it everytime.

This is based on my experience in vanilla->wotlk.

MMO Healing is one of those things that really only appeals to a certain type of person and in that respect is a rather unusual construct in gaming.
I think moreso that a problem is healing classes attract people who only play a healer to be fast tracked and get special treatment because they know people NEED them, often desperately, which leads to having to put up with their shit and keep quiet about it because everyone wants to progress.

One reason why I loved playing with the dungeon finder in WoW you could just avoid this shit, kick them out and get another almost immediately. Though usually you end up having to kick that one out as well. More games should embrace this feature.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
i love it when people like you use the word nostalgia like it's an insult. maybe you should look up the definition before you try using it? nostalgia is a word which precisely encapsulates how i recall my time playing everquest. you know what word comes to mind when recalling my time playing warcraft? forgettable.
Yes, everyone ditched EQ the second something better came along and had 25-30x the population of EQ at its peak because of how "forgettable" it was.

You retards shitting up every thread talking about how EQ was "magic" and was so much better than MMOs now are delusional. It really wasn't that great of a game at all. Any MMO that tries to copy a lot of the shitty design you guys love so much would fail hard

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Funny, I specifically played a healer because I couldn't tolerate when healers sucked so bad. It was why I simply could never play a tank or dps class. The fun was sucked out of the game due to shitty healers.

If you want something done right...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yes, everyone ditched EQ the second something better came along and had 25-30x the population of EQ at its peak because of how "forgettable" it was.

You retards shitting up every thread talking about how EQ was "magic" and was so much better than MMOs now are delusional. It really wasn't that great of a game at all. Any MMO that tries to copy a lot of the shitty design you guys love so much would fail hard
Who here is saying that EQ is magic? There's many ditched features in EQ that enable some very entertaining aspects of MMOs. Some of us would like to see those features come back in addition to all the advancements made in the MMO space.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Who here is saying that EQ is magic? There's many ditched features in EQ that enable some very entertaining aspects of MMOs. Some of us would like to see those features come back in addition to all the advancements made in the MMO space.
Uh have you not been reading this thread? There are at least three people in the last two pages that think EQ is magic.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
No one will ever captured they amazing combat system of EQ. By amazing I mean if you played a puller and even then it was fun to break a camp then it was boring
Nowadays you don't feel the connection you used to in EQ because you're so busy hitting abilities and moving and other such distractions. I miss hitting the attack button and watching each and every animation until the fight was over. I'd spice it up every now and then and hit kick or bash every 10 seconds and when you'd see those hits for 15 sometimes even 20 damage you really knew you were affecting the world. Today's games lose sight of that and that's a shame