The Elder Scrolls Online

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Another Matt Firor Facepalm youtube video.

Some of the highlights:

Q: Since you started the project I suppose the MMO landscape changed quite a bit with F2P and stuff... So, did you change some aspects of the project?

A: So in the first early parts... You know... When we were first designing the game, in the very early days.(Utnayan Note: So like 5 months ago?)Yeah, we looked around and saw what other people were doing. All of us on the project worked at other MMO companies, so we have lots of experience with the different systems.

But once we made the decision to make a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game,(Utnayan Note: Like you had a choice. Amazing.)it kind of didn't matter what the other games were doing. That gave us our path to, this is what we're doing. And when that starts, you stop looking at what other people are doing and you focus on making your game the best that you can.Utnayan note translation: "We didn't see anyone else coming out with anything we could copy. So we stopped waiting for anything else and forged ahead with GW2WoWDAOC New FrontiersSWTOR Online - or, "GW2WOWDAOCNFSTOR - For Short."

Q: Eh, sorry. You think you're going to have enough value to ask for a monthly fee, or?

A: We're not talking about our revenue model, but we'll have a lot of content.
Also, a cash shop which we all knew would exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4gv_GW5gs

(Edit: Why is it everytime I see this guy on videos it looks like the love child of Alfred Hitckcock and The Sweedish Chef from the muppets)

DMK_sl

shitlord
"Are there server side event's, public quests etc??"

Matt Frior " The PvP system is mostly what that is for us"

Oh.

My.

Fucken.

God.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Also Journalists ask genuine questions and Matt Frior answer them in such an arrogant and condescending fasion. Fucken asshole.

Mates,

Matt Frior facepalms himself rofl.

ZeniMax views TESO as more multiplayer Elder Scrolls than MMO

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06...olls-than-mmo/

Game Reactor has published another Matt Firor interview from last week's pre-E3 Elder Scrolls Online preview event. The ZeniMax game director had plenty to say about the game world, the social design elements, and the team's desire to draw in players who may not be MMO fans.

"This is more a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game than an MMO. [You'll see] very limited UI, nice and clean, not a lot of bars," Firor explained. "The combat system is very much action-based. It's also soloable, you can solo almost the entire game. We wanted to get Elder Scrolls players who were unfamiliar with online games and MMO terms to get in, play, have fun and get introduced to the multiplayer aspects."

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
l wanted to get Elder Scrolls players who were unfamiliar with online games and MMO terms to get in, play, have fun and get introduced to the multiplayer aspects."
Who the fuck has ever played an Elder Scrolls game and isn't familiar with multiplayer? The fuck is he doing.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Who the fuck has ever played an Elder Scrolls game and isn't familiar with multiplayer? The fuck is he doing.
Blowing $100 million and within 2 years will be back at a "consulting" company he owns. Hopefully for good.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Are there people actually trusting this clown with money? This whole thing seems like a train wreck in slow motion. They were all so incredibly painfully cocky at PAX, it was as if they were so full of their own BS they had not actually had a chance to look at the mess they were showing off.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I don't hate the idea of a clean UI and lack of clutter, but this dude sounds like he's talking out of his ass to try and please everyone while saying nothing appealing to anyone. I'm so tired of the "everyone is a hero this is your story!!!" shit. When I want to play a hero and weave through a narrative and solo through an entire game, I'll play a genre that wasn't born to be massively and oh yeah multiplayer. I love when developers try to act like you'll be impacting the world because NPCs will recognize your glory. This basically means you'll be tagged and random guys will say "yay u kilt a dragon" as you pass by -- truly epic. I don't have much experience with Matt Firor, but I'm hearing a bunch of terrible things flow from his mouth. Next stop is "our game starts at level 50!" That's the worst design philosophy.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
He actually said that. It was featured in one of the continually looping videos they had playing in their booth. I did a triple take the first time I heard it.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Next stop is "our game starts at level 50!" That's the worst design philosophy.
I am fine with a game that "starts at level 50", they just need to make the player start there too so we can dispense with the 1-49 treadmill bullshit. Such a waste of resources building low level content that 99% of us blow by and are annoyed by the wasted space as we traverse though it.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
"game starts at 50" and "innovation in this genre is dead" are not good quotes from an mmo producer.

Krueger

Molten Core Raider
The sad thing is that a lot of people are eating this up. I just took a look at reddit to see if this is getting anywhere near a negative reaction that it is here, and, well...

"This is exactly what I wanted."
"This is really good news to hear!"
"This actually makes me more excited for the game."
There's some dissent, but that's also getting shouted down. If that particular sub-reddit is more indicative of general opinion, then it's no wonder Firor is getting away with saying what he is.

Source:http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrolls...olls_than_mmo/

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
So is Matt now saying the game really isn't an MMO but it's a TES Multiplayer game? Lulz

Also, for a game that is all about it's PVP (Remember the PVP map is like 5000000000000x bigger than the rest of the world?) we haven't seen shit about it.

Krueger

Molten Core Raider
This interview was good, imo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLWd-pGJ1uI

Might address some of the hyperbolic shitfits in this thread regarding quotes mostly taken out of context.
It might address some, but it really does raise questions as well. The game launches this year, but they're not talking about if any factions will be in besides the Fighter's Guild and the Mage's Guild. They talk about not wanting stupid enemies who just stand there, but a lot of their fighting clips show the enemies just standing there, and the players doing more of the moving around. There still does seem to be nothing of the PvP system being shown, which this video indicates is one of the main end-game activities. All this talk of how they want to move away from your typical MMO game and cater for Elder Scrolls fans, but then they put in things like hard-coded factions, classes, being locked in to 1/3 of the PvE content until you're maxed level, developing third-person gameplay first. For me, it's hard to get a sense of what they're really aiming this game to be good for, besides someth

It's not to say that all they're talking about is bad. The more minimal UI will be quite nice compared to the info overload that is a lot of current MMO UIs(although I do wonder how minimal it can be in group / PvP situations). What they say they want to do with the AI is something that this genre badly needs, although it seems like they have yet to really show it off. But a few good ideas does not make a great game when they're not implemented well or if they're combined with really bad ideas. It might be a bit early to say whether the game will be amazing or not yet, but there is plenty of reason to be hesitant about what has been coming out, and there's no reason to just take the developers at their word when they say it will be awesome.

If Zenimax really wanted to make an Elder Scrolls game that was multiplayer and less of an MMO(which is a bit of a crock statement, and seems like them trying to change things up late in the game), they should have gone with Elder Scrolls 6, and taken the Terraria multiplayer system where you can create your own world that you play in, and other people can bring their characters into your world to play as well. Or do the Guild Wars 1 model where towns are a central hub for interacting with players, and then from there you go out and do your adventures, solo or grouped. Developing an MMO and then trying to say the game is less of an MMO and more just multiplayer Elder Scrolls is certainly them trying to change expectations, for whatever reason.