The Elder Scrolls Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Wasn't DaoC 3 hard factions as well? I can't say that I remember hearing much hate for it from the DaoC players, but it's been a long time so who knows.

I didn't play for long (and it was well after DaoC's heyday) but I vaguely remember wanting to start one of the "tank" races to play with a friend and I couldn't because that was only available to a single opposing faction.
It worked in DAoC for a few reasons. It was the first time it'd be done, so it was new, the factions were very diverse, thematically, which created a real sense of loyalty back when nobody knew what a 'server transfer' was (even right up to the end when people had characters from all three realms on one server, most people still associated themselves with and felt an affinity for one particular faction*), the whole game was built and marketed around it, and there was no serious endgame PvE raidgame, so there were no concerns about artificially limiting potential group/raid recruits.

*Hibernia 4 lyfe!

As for whether it'll work in ESO, that depends on implementation, it can be a good or bad system depending on the context. Personally, I just think it's a bit silly to talk so much about how they're making it easier to play with your friends in a game with hard factions. They can't have their cake and eat it too with the current system (although GW2 managed it, eventually).

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
People need to stop trumpeting former DaoC devs like they are the second coming, as said above they havent really accomplished anything in nearly a decade and the phrase probably means "was an intern at Mythic in 2003" anyway. It was the same with Brad and look where that left VG in the end.

Personally, I like Elder Scrolls games but think this wont work out because to make it an MMO that gets funded these days you have to gut the franchise of anything that makes it special and stuff the hollow shell with warcraft bits'n'pieces.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
People need to stop trumpeting former DaoC devs like they are the second coming, as said above they havent really accomplished anything in nearly a decade and the phrase probably means "was an intern at Mythic in 2003" anyway. It was the same with Brad and look where that left VG in the end.

Personally, I like Elder Scrolls games but think this wont work out because to make it an MMO that gets funded these days you have to gut the franchise of anything that makes it special and stuff the hollow shell with warcraft bits'n'pieces.
yup. world of warcraft: the elder scrolls will be arriving shortly.

2002User

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not even trying to trumpet this as some kind of DAoC second coming, just saying it's an interesting storm of possibilities. I haven't played a MMORPG seriously for like 5 years now, so trust me that I'm just as skeptical as you.

I want to believe.

Bacon_sl

shitlord
Agraza_sl said:
...is going to be shit.
You may be right. It certainly is safer to bet a horse will lose a race rather than win it. I think I'm just as salty and pessimistic as everyone else here, since recent releases of franchises I once enjoyed have all turned out to be shit. I'd really like this game to succeed though. It seems there is a demand to leave WoW. Every new hot piece of software is snatched up, people find flaws in it, and they gravitate back to what's familiar even if it is tired. I'll stay cautiously optimistic about this one. I'm relieved the combat system is not a clone of previous Elder Scrolls titles, that would've been a deal breaker.

AlekseiFL_sl said:
Thats Bullshit. we all read the same thing, but ever since then, if you read between the lines its Hero engine, they dont wanna talk about it,at all.
As far as I know, the Hero Engine is not Mac compatible and ESO will be. That seems like a lot of trouble to license an engine and then devote a ton of time to modify it.

I don't see 3 factions being a big deal for PvE, it's still going to remain "us vs them." I think it will be an interesting feature in PvP though. Imagine if Arathi Basin was a 3 faction match for example. If one faction was close to victory, the two losers would form a temporary alliance to turn the tide. I'm sure there are better modes that I'm not thinking of that can be experimented with 3 faction PvP.

2002User_sl said:
I want to believe.
Well put, so do I. Too many titles have disappointed me lately.

Azrayne

I'm actually very wary of them. I've come to the conclusion that Mythic struck gold with DAoC entirely by accident, they had absolutely no understanding of what actually made the game good and drew players to it, which is how they managed to fuck it up so epically for nearly a decade.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
I'm actually very wary of them. I've come to the conclusion that Mythic struck gold with DAoC entirely by accident, they had absolutely no understanding of what actually made the game good and drew players to it, which is how they managed to fuck it up so epically for nearly a decade.
The devs quit listening to certain TLs and started listening to more crappy TLs is when DAoC starting going down the crapper.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
So pretty much the same story as Everquest.

Diazepane_sl

shitlord
So pretty much the same story as Everquest.
ya but wow took every concept that it could from everquest and made it an arcade game, it was pretty deliberately done, and was successful.

so maybe there's a hope of a chance that a game designed with all of it's concepts pre-determined can be fun to play. Yeah right....

there's nothing fun about whack-a-mole, or doing the same thing twice, as would be the case if this was a daoc clone, even if it was fun to play. If the most compelling aspects of this game turn out to be a carbon copy of an idea that sounded cool at one point, then I don't think it will be developed with the same spirit as the original.

So, I hope they have something that at least improves upon the 3 vs 3 dynamic in such a way that it's able to thrive in a mainstream market. Which I think would rely upon their ability to recognize what works and what doesn't. That being that there's no telling what will catch people's attention, so what will work isnt possible to define. So make your game impossible to define.

Is this off topic yet?

I could list all of the things that I like about the TES games that I don't think would have any place in an mmorpg that was striving for critical acclaim right out of the gates, but I think that it's pretty self explanatory.

Lodor_sl

shitlord
TLs = team leads. In pre release beta before gib was really ever around there were 2 "guilds" more or less. One was apoc in alb and other was skona raiders in mid. Each guild was full of team leads and for a long time the head devs were listening to the right TLs but once they went gung ho on keep testing certain TLs went to the forefront and majorly got shit unbalanced pvp wise.

That is the short story of the comment i meant above.

Diazepane_sl

shitlord
TLs = team leads. In pre release beta before gib was really ever around there were 2 "guilds" more or less. One was apoc in alb and other was skona raiders in mid. Each guild was full of team leads and for a long time the head devs were listening to the right TLs but once they went gung ho on keep testing certain TLs went to the forefront and majorly got shit unbalanced pvp wise.

That is the short story of the comment i meant above.
Went to the forefront, like they were suddenly cut off from playing the actual game?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Are these the same devs or different devs?
Both. It's an incestuous industry. Most of the people laid off at Bioware-EA after the SWTOR debacle are likely working for Rich Vogel who somehow got another job leading another dev company into the ground, or Matt Firor, whose ideas are firmly planted in stagnation trying to recreate the social impacts of yesteryears games instead of making something fun and creative.

I'll hop on board with everyone else. This game will be horrible.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
Both. It's an incestuous industry. Most of the people laid off at Bioware-EA after the SWTOR debacle are likely working for Rich Vogel who somehow got another job leading another dev company into the ground, or Matt Firor, whose ideas are firmly planted in stagnation trying to recreate the social impacts of yesteryears games instead of making something fun and creative.

I'll hop on board with everyone else. This game will be horrible.
Agree.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
No they didn't. They had a foundation of DAoC when they introduced Magestorm. They had the classes (excluding the tanks). The problem started when EA bought them.

DAoC for me had some of the most fond and frustrating memories. They did PvP right. Problem was, as Lodor mentioned, they quit listening to the TLs that they actually "hired".

Another problem was that the Armsman TL, Mors, had a history with Mythic. He was a Game Master in Magestorm back on AOL and then Gamestorm. He was the worst TL and everyone hated him, but they never fired him.

Azrayne

No they didn't. They had a foundation of DAoC when they introduced Magestorm. They had the classes (excluding the tanks). The problem started when EA bought them.
Gonna disagree with you there. ToA and it's fucked up itemization grind, the absurd levels of CC, getting 2 shot by certain classes with maxed resists, horrible pve resist code for spells, requiring buffs to compete and the subsequent buffbot issue, stealther retardation, and oh man I could just go on and on, but yeah the game had alotof issues right from the start and through the period before EA came along which just never got addressed (although they did fix quite a few around 2005/2006, but it was too little too late).

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
ToA had mixed reviews -- the main problem was that people did not want to have to do PvE to compete in PvP. I will agree with you in that regard. Crowd control was a necessity from the sheer size of some of the fights. You could only get two shotted by one class and that was by rogues. Of course you need buffs to compete. The only problem I hated with buffs is the fact that you could only use them to a certain amount (like 6-8 spells max).

The fact that they removed one-shot kills and staying stealth from rogues is what was retarded. Being assassinated without seeing your killer was sweet.

edit: When they fixed sorcerers and healers in the very beginning, that's when things got better. No more chain stun and mass AE killing.

edit 2: Hibernia for life, too. ;-) Well, and Midgard, lol.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Oh boy, DAOC was sure fun as a caster! ****your casting has been interrupted because someone was looking at you funny 50 yards away***

And I can't tell if you're serious about thinking one shot kills from an invisible guy, who stays invisible, is perfectly fine in a pvp game.

But enough with the DAOC derail for me; Will this be F2P once you buy the box? I think sub based games are all but gone now, unless they can match that EQ1 server's GM interaction rate(whatever the server name was that cost 50$ a month)