The Elder Scrolls Online

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Based on feedback, I'm pretty sure this thread has less than 10 people being VR10, and probably 50% of this thread's posters never see Coldharbour. So much for hardcore MMO.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Based on feedback, I'm pretty sure this thread has less than 10 people being VR10, and probably 50% of this thread's posters never see Coldharbour. So much for hardcore MMO.
Or maybe people are looking for something worth leveling. Just because we are hardcore doesn't mean we would do something as fucking stupid as using pto for this game.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Or maybe people are looking for something worth leveling. Just because we are hardcore doesn't mean we would do something as fucking stupid as using pto for this game.
Agreed. Leveling is this game is the most boring exercise I've ever experienced in any MMO. Ever. There is absolutely no challenge whatsoever and the amount of lore/text/voice action shoved into the quests is more sleep inducing than Ambien. PvE-wise, the game is technically solid and has tons of content.

It just isn't fun.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you removed all quest steps where the quest text is, "Hey, click that shit over there." you'd probably shorten the game by 80%

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
If people are going to judge a game failing by going F2P or not then you need to be prepared for every MMO to fail in that case.With the exception of WoW, every other MMO has increased its revenue by going F2P.
You need to clarify your ranges a bit. Never understood these blanket statements.

FFXI and EvE have also not gone F2P for over a decade and are doing pretty well for themselves. FFXIV 2.0 seems to be headed in the same direction.

game is $40 at amazon/best buy/gamestop this week, I expect in another month or two it'll be easy to buy for $20 although it will be kinda weird for the console version to msrp at a full $60 and the pc version next to it be $20-30.
I guess the real question anyone wants to know is... will it drop in price faster thanDefiancedid?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
If you removed all quest steps where the quest text is, "Hey, click that shit over there." you'd probably shorten the game by 80%
But hitting 'e' on the rock/jewel/scroll/piller/switch kills the boss so you don't have to fight him!

Flight

Molten Core Raider

1. PvP blunted a lot of criticism on this forum - it's PC friendly and pretty much a copy paste of GW2. Will the GW2 PvP model work for console kiddies ? I don't see it.

2. I try to think about inventory management in this game on a console - it's just painful.

3. Console kids simply aren't going to pay a monthly sub for this.

Console is the bigger market for them but I can see it failing much more miserably there.

F2P models largely depend on elements of gameplay and emotional attachment to an IP outside of gaming which I just don't see in TESO. Its demise has been a slow burn mitigated by limited solo play enjoyment at one end of the scale and hardcore PvP at the other, but it will probably end up being one of the biggest flops in MMO history. No surprise to anyone as we all saw that coming, but some of their present support and development decisions suggest they are now aware of it themselves.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Are they waiting to release to console because its not ready or just simply waiting till its out long enough to do FTP so they dont tick off the PC base?
I am not buying off on its delay solely on the bugs problem.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The gw2 pvp model doesn't even work in eso on the PC why would it work on consoles lol. they managed to boil mmo pvp down to an anonymous deathwatch without the quality of a Cod. And the single player leveling experience is damaged by the mmo structure just like swtor, ya you have an ok story but its ruined by the huge amounts of required filler you are forced to do because of the mmo level structure.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Are they waiting to release to console because its not ready or just simply waiting till its out long enough to do FTP so they dont tick off the PC base?
I am not buying off on its delay solely on the bugs problem.
Waiting to go FTP is my guess.

DMK_sl

shitlord
The VR I haven't done and don't play too. If I keep enjoying the game the way I am. I will level to max on this character then do the other two factions leveling with two different characters. I personally think that will be more enjoyable. That's if Wildstar doesn't turn out to be great.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
And the single player leveling experience is damaged by the mmo structure just like swtor, ya you have an ok story but its ruined by the huge amounts of required filler you are forced to do because of the mmo level structure.
Always felt to me like there was much more choice in how I wanted to play TOR though.

Sure it had a single-player vibe, but overall that game was very party/group friendly in many aspects. Dungeons were worth running more than once due to the loot styles and the story in them (not talking about endgame). I thought they were done better as well with things like puzzles for the group to solve, that one where everyone sat on turrets, and the bosses/mechanics were far better than ESO. Those +2/+4 missions on planets were perfect for grabbing buddies and didn't last all day, and each zone had tons of them all different. The worst part of TOR for me was the travel.. just too much at times.

The main problem with ESO for me is that if you bring someone along with you for fun, there is very little you actually need them for and they actually fuck your playing experience up. If you bring a halfway competent friend on any mission in this game, it trivializes everything because it's ridiculously easy as solo. Three or more and the game's not even worth playing.

You only need/want your buds to be running with you while PvPing in ESO and since that's starting to turn like a corpse in the Nevada heat...

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yk8kHEr.png

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Always felt to me like there was much more choice in how I wanted to play TOR though.

Sure it had a single-player vibe, but overall that game was very party/group friendly in many aspects. Dungeons were worth running more than once due to the loot styles and the story in them (not talking about endgame). I thought they were done better as well with things like puzzles for the group to solve, that one where everyone sat on turrets, and the bosses/mechanics were far better than ESO. Those +2/+4 missions on planets were perfect for grabbing buddies and didn't last all day, and each zone had tons of them all different. The worst part of TOR for me was the travel.. just too much at times.

The main problem with ESO for me is that if you bring someone along with you for fun, there is very little you actually need them for and they actually fuck your playing experience up. If you bring a halfway competent friend on any mission in this game, it trivializes everything because it's ridiculously easy as solo. Three or more and the game's not even worth playing.

You only need/want your buds to be running with you while PvPing in ESO and since that's starting to turn like a corpse in the Nevada heat...
Tor was better for sure as a single player game but I mean both suffered from the mmoification. Tor without all the bullshit travel and bear ads filler quests would have been better than the original kotor prolly

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Tor was better for sure as a single player game but I mean both suffered from the mmoification. Tor without all the bullshit travel and bear ads filler quests would have been better than the original kotor prolly
The ironic thing is after TOR lauched, everyone said "Why didn't they just make another KOTOR? That's what everyone wanted." Now ESO is floundering and everyone says "Why didn't they just make another Morrowind? That's what everyone wanted."

No one pays attention to what customers want these days I guess...

@Bondurant: You think that megaserver has anything to do with the lag or is it a separate issue? I don't know enough about it to comment but it makes me wonder as it's the one big difference I see between W* and ESO in your post.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
@Bondurant: You think that megaserver has anything to do with the lag or is it a separate issue? I don't know enough about it to comment but it makes me wonder as it's the one big difference I see between W* and ESO in your post.
Wildstar has migrated their servers to a datacenter located in Europe to support European players. Zenimax still has their European servers based in the USA, hence the lag disparities.