The Elder Scrolls Online

Blackwulf

N00b
So, having hit VR12, and crafted some purple gear, I've been spending more time in Cyrodiil. I've come to the conclusion that some shit needs to change if I'm going to stick around:

1. Need something to encourage realm pride, and incentivise sticking to your own campaign.

2. Need a lot more incentives with regard to character progression. I didn't realize how much I loved getting RPs in DAOC for realm abilities until I started getting them in ESO and realized they're essentially worthless.

3. Like Tuco says: need to vastly reduce the anonymity. It's not personal enough when you and your guild get in fights with other individuals/guilds. I want to know who that sorc was that bolted away so I can actively watch for him in death spam (yes we need death spam.)

I could go on, but these 3 are key if they hope to keep most of us playing long term.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
So, having hit VR12, and crafted some purple gear, I've been spending more time in Cyrodiil. I've come to the conclusion that some shit needs to change if I'm going to stick around:

1. Need something to encourage realm pride, and incentivise sticking to your own campaign.

2. Need a lot more incentives with regard to character progression. I didn't realize how much I loved getting RPs in DAOC for realm abilities until I started getting them in ESO and realized they're essentially worthless.

3. Like Tuco says: need to vastly reduce the anonymity. It's not personal enough when you and your guild get in fights with other individuals/guilds. I want to know who that sorc was that bolted away so I can actively watch for him in death spam (yes we need death spam.)

I could go on, but these 3 are key if they hope to keep most of us playing long term.
So ESO boils down to "Needincentivesto play it"? Huh. Usually fun is the biggest incentive around for most players.

I mean, those things you listed are needed, but they don't have anything to do withactualfun if you read your list carefully. They are more along the lines of quality of life things. I can't believe that those '3 key things' is what makes people quit overall or even factor that large into it. For PvPers sure...probably, but the vast majority of subbers? Doubtful any of that is even on a Top 10 list.

Vitality

HUSTLE

Nameplates

Nameplates

Nameplates

Answered in quote.

Blackwulf

N00b
So ESO boils down to "Needincentivesto play it"? Huh. Usually fun is the biggest incentive around for most players.

I mean, those things you listed are needed, but they don't have anything to do withactualfun if you read your list carefully. They are more along the lines of quality of life things. I can't believe that those '3 key things' is what makes people quit overall or even factor that large into it. For PvPers sure...probably, but the vast majority of subbers? Doubtful any of that is even on a Top 10 list.
Interpret how you want. It IS some fun, but I play RPGs for character progression. I play online for competition and rivalries. Those 3 items are key for me staying long term. I can stay short term as long as I know improvements are in the works.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

What's your PVP rank in Cyrodiil?

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Interpret how you want. It IS some fun, but I play RPGs for character progression. I play online for competition and rivalries. Those 3 items are key for me staying long term. I can stay short term as long as I know improvements are in the works.
Similar sentiment here but add in community and socialization as another reason for playing online.

I'm a big fan of team building and figuring out how to beat PVE raid bosses. Most fun I ever had in a MMO was building a raid team from scratch and running Karazhan with Ngruk. As long as an MMO has character progression via PVE group/raid content I can find something fun to do. People in guild chat are saying Craglorn is fun so I hope to eventually see it for myself but my play time is so limited right now I imagine AAge will be released before I get to VR10.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
What's your PVP rank in Cyrodiil?
Not even halfway in there. For about 20 of those 30 days, all I did was grind SPs and gear for crafting in PvELand. I figured they would be more valuable so didn't seem to make a lot of sense going in there with only a few skills that early.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Okay. With PvP most of the fun comes from competing against real players. When that process is anonymous like it is now, you lose the perception of fighting real players and lose the essence of what makes PvP fun.

forge

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll agree with Tuco here, nameplates are needed for sure. Making fun of people in pvp is half the battle.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Okay. With PvP most of the fun comes from competing against real players. When that process is anonymous like it is now, you lose the perception of fighting real players and lose the essence of what makes PvP fun.
In your meeting with ZOS, did they say the decision to not have nameplates was based on technical reasons (i.e may cause too much lag) or a "Vision" philosophy to differentiate TESO from other MMOs?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If I talk to Paul Sage in my next meeting I'll tell you what he says about nameplates, but there's zero technical reason to not show nameplates. Rendering text is very easy.

Vitality

HUSTLE
If I talk to Paul Sage in my next meeting I'll tell you what he says about nameplates, but there's zero technical reason to not show nameplates. Rendering text is very easy.
I'd wear a cup unless you want to get the good ol' reach around instead of a real answer behind no nameplates.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Rendering them may be very easy from a development perspective. They were in the game last year on PTS and removed in late 2013 so the coding is already in place.
Displaying them might cause a negative hit to performance but I can't say for certain since they were already gone by the time I got into the PTS. I do remember in EQ1 and vanilla WoW whenever we raided everyone turned off nameplates to improve framerate.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Believing MMO bots genuinely pay legit subscriptions makes as much sense as believing Niger is full of royalty people waiting for your credit card number to rule the country.
No I dont. Its a matter of hacked CC thats footing the bill till its caught by the owner or scrubs code keys from hacked sites or hacked accounts, to name the obvious. In any case some of that is filtering thru in some form of payment. If not and they are allowing all of it on their dime, thats on them (zenimax). There is a reason sometimes CC let things go and lets their clients get hosed till its caught, its called insurance.

You think the big TARGET BS from xmas, to name one of many, just happen to run as long at it did without the CC questioning why there were so many out of country internet purchases and impossible physical store transactions like someone in person buying in FL and 5min later in AZ? A ton of accounts all buying or funneling money thru X companies. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

But no, its not believe they are being legit, didnt think it needed to be spelled out or draw a picture.

1-04960-00_QuickDraw_girl.jpg

Beastro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The less you make people individuals in a PvP game then more the PvP starts to feel like a stale form of PvE fought against intelligent AI.

This was a big reason why I quit WoW 6 months in after playing since launch.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The less you make people individuals in a PvP game then more the PvP starts to feel like a stale form of PvE fought against intelligent AI.

This was a big reason why I quit WoW 6 months in after playing since launch.
But PVP in WoW 6 months after launch had name plates. You even had ranks that you fought for, up to what.. Grand Marshall? PVP wasnt cross realm and eventually, you ran into the same people you fought earlier. I just dont understand the comparison toClassicWoW at all.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah vanilla WoW PVP was personalized enough for individuals. It did have very little guild-incentives for PvP though (and didn't really attempt to). It's interesting to think that if Blizzard went sandbox for WoW we might've had 10 years of sandbox MMOs instead of 10 years of theme park MMOs.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
If WoW went sandbox i don't think it would have been nearly as successful. The joy of WoW was its simple and clearly defined goal-oriented gameplay. Lots of people really enjoy that format.