The Expanse

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I just caught up. I fucking love this show guys, love it for real. But I was left disappointed at the season closer. For one, i can't fucking believe that Miller died. That sucks, I kept thinking that somehow the protomolecule would bring him back or something. I was hoping we'd get more of a reveal from Venus and we didn't. The way the political storyline on Earth played out was unsatisfying, to say the least. Still a baller fucking show, I just hoped for more I guess.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I haven't, I bought the first one but I am so busy I just haven't had time. I plan on getting the audio books, I do better with those.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
season 2 ends about halfway through book 2. I'd highly recommend fans read books 2 & 3 in the break now, a lot of stuff happens. I don't really think you have to read past book 3 though, the story slows down a lot.

• 1Like

Goatface

i loved books 1, 2 and the novellas , but couldn't finish 3.
just finished book 1 again and about to start 2, in hopes to give 3 another try.

forgot where i saw it, but read the show was going to skip most of 3.
can not find anything to back that up tho

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
They can skip 80% of 3, 4, and 5 for all I care. Bunch of nothing until the last chapters.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Am I the only one that cannot remember at all which event happens in which book? I mean I remember the storyline but can't for the life of me place each component in one of the books (past he first).

I haven't caught up yet, but so far I can say that book Avasarala>>show Avasarala

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
yeah, thats why i don't really talk about the books at all because i can't remember what big shit happens in what book, its all sort of a blur. I do remember the big beats though and its cool connecting stuff in show to book.

book avasarala is awesome for the swearing and plotting but man the costumes and political intrigue on the show are pretty awesome.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I know those feels about Miller. If they stay true... shit gets weird. Lol.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I was hoping we'd get more of a reveal from Venus and we didn't.
The big problem is that the seasons are shifted from the books. S1 was basically 60% of book 1. S2 is 40% book 1 + 50% of book 2. Take the last episode: the Arboghast disassembly is page 250 of 595. The Caliban being chucked out of the Rocinante is page 300. The taking over Mao's yatch is page 400 (and there's a few things inbetween that haven't happened - yet? - on the show). So the wrap-up and resolution that you get at the end of each book isn't there.

Which means that you don't get the last sentence of the book, which would be the exact perfect instant to end the season. Alas, we'll get that mid S3, I presume.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
forgot where i saw it, but read the show was going to skip most of 3.
can not find anything to back that up tho
It wouldn't surprise me much. Without going too much into details, the main change between book 2 plot and S2 plot is that it's not Holden who exposes Mao-Kwikowski's involvment with Protogen and Protomolecule™, it's now Avasarala. Basically, the first half of book 3 can't make sense if you remove that connection.

If you cut and shrink that first half and spend 1 episode to set up the book 3 main plot, you'd get S3:
- EP 1-6: wrap up of book 2 and Caliban's War
- EP 7: transition episode, replaces
various bits of Clarissa Mao's revenge plot
- EP 8-13: main meat of book 3 up to end

And wonder: if they don't get renewed, the end of the original trilogy - since that was written as a trilogy before Orbit made them a check for 6 more books - makes a perfect end point of the show.

(try to imagine if the show hadn't been renewed for S3 and had ended right there...)

• 1Like

Cybsled

Syfy will be more forgiving of ratings I think if they are trying to build up their seriousness cred. Post-BSG they sort of struggled to find anything with critical acclaim. Says a lot that Sharknado was the only draw until they got The Expanse and The Magicians ;p

• 1Like

B-Biscuit

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just throwing it out there that I found the obvious solution to Eros.

2017-07-02_12.53.33.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Yup, looking forward to it! Especially since Magicians will be done for the season by then.

• 1Solidarity

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Wicked can't wait. This is my fav show that's still airing.

Gotta get going on book 3 though. Read only the first 50 pages ... although reading the posts above we prolly won't get to book 3 until later in the season.