The Expanse

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
“Howdy, XO,” he drawled. The old west affectation common to everyone from the Mariner Valley annoyed Holden. There hadn’t been a cowboy on Earth in a hundred years, and Mars didn’t have a blade of grass that wasn’t under a dome, or a horse that wasn’t in a zoo. Mariner Valley had been settled by East Indians, Chinese, and a small contingent of Texans. Apparently, the drawl was viral. They all had it now. “How’s the old warhorse today?”

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The type of exposition you can only get from a book.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Well they technically did with the belters. That explanation of Alex's accent is sorely missing from the show. And it would not have taken much effort to try to portray it on screen. But in the show even Alex's wife and kid don't have the accent.

That's one paragraph that makes it all make sense. Including Holden being annoyed the same way the audience would be annoyed.

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well they technically did with the belters. That explanation of Alex's accent is sorely missing from the show. And it would not have taken much effort to try to portray it on screen. But in the show even Alex's wife and kid don't have the accent.

That's one paragraph that makes it all make sense. Including Holden being annoyed the same way the audience would be annoyed.

I agree they probably should have had more of a backstory for it like you get in the book. Like you note even a single paragraph in the book and it all makes sense. I could semi buy the wife and kid not having it, in that he could easily have married someone not from the same settlement originally, and I doubt his kid has actually spent much time/seen him all that much.

iannis

Musty Nester
Easier to use existing than come up with new sci-fi lingo.

What was it that BSG used? FRAK!

Honestly I'll take a texas drawl over that little bit of goofiness.

And the belter creole is actually kind of impressive. When Kaufman made up a language it was impressive, but it sounded like intricate babytalk. Which yeah, that was the joke. That belter slur in S1 sounds like an actual language. You can kind of hear how this might be the sounds people who work in shitty suits with a lot of outside noise interference come to begin speaking to each other -- along with the physical gestures to reinforce the words. Some people spent actual time on that and it shows through.

Last edited:

khorum

Murder Apologist
That's because the actual words and phonemes in belter creole ARE from actual languages. The thing they started doing in the first season but dropped until the fourth was the Belters' heavy use of sign language, since much of the language was used by people who didnt always share comms across vacuum suits.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
11pm, we go to bed to watch the last two episodes of Season 2. Somehow we didn't stop watching until 4am.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
11pm, we go to bed to watch the last two episodes of Season 2. Somehow we didn't stop watching until 4am.
If you're missing scenes like when Ghazi was introduced because your broadcaster is cutting stuff to make room for ads, I'd say just watch it on Amazon or some other way. The show doesn't have a lot of filler content that keep it intact after taking 10 mins off each episode for ads.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The guy playing the old belter commander killed it. I'll be sad he's gone.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
The guy playing the old belter commander killed it. I'll be sad he's gone.
Yeah that's a different point than where he dies in the books....which means some other major character might die in his place in the next episode, cuz it's a pretty big moment.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The next part is probably what rustled me most in the entire series. I hope the TV show does it better.

Holden despite all his, "you will face trial and be in jail" yadda yadda I'm a Paladin bullshit. Which was a point for half of this season because of some bombs and petty deaths on New Terra. Holden completely shits the bed about it when it comes to Nagata's son. Philip Inaros is directly complicit in the mass genocide via asteroid bomb of BILLIONS of people on Earth. Fucking BILLIONS. But that piece of shit gets to walk out of the story after he becomes disillusioned with his father. Stupid teenager mistakes am I right? He doesn't get punished. Nothing happens to him and Holden doesn't even press it. That shit made me salty as fuck.

On top of the Free Navy's senior leadership outside of Inaros himself not even being punished for their massive rebellion. One of them even gets to be the guildmaster of the new Belter Shipping Alliance or whatever it was called.

It was a complete break in character and direction within the series and I don't think it ever recovered from such a hypocritical bullshit storyline.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Good show, watched it during xmas break. Looking forward to more of this...

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The next part is probably what rustled me most in the entire series. I hope the TV show does it better.

Holden despite all his, "you will face trial and be in jail" yadda yadda I'm a Paladin bullshit. Which was a point for half of this season because of some bombs and petty deaths on New Terra. Holden completely shits the bed about it when it comes to Nagata's son. Philip Inaros is directly complicit in the mass genocide via asteroid bomb of BILLIONS of people on Earth. Fucking BILLIONS. But that piece of shit gets to walk out of the story after he becomes disillusioned with his father. Stupid teenager mistakes am I right? He doesn't get punished. Nothing happens to him and Holden doesn't even press it. That shit made me salty as fuck.

On top of the Free Navy's senior leadership outside of Inaros himself not even being punished for their massive rebellion. One of them even gets to be the guildmaster of the new Belter Shipping Alliance or whatever it was called.

It was a complete break in character and direction within the series and I don't think it ever recovered from such a hypocritical bullshit storyline.
It isn't like he had the opportunity to hold Filip accountable. He didn't kill him when he had the chance but that's pretty fitting for him, not to mention it's his old lady's son. When Filip finally had enough of his dad's bullshit he fucked off onto some hauler with a fake identity.

I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head but I thought that the inner Inaros circle was tried and imprisoned and the only reason that Michio was given amnesty was because she turned on Inaros and was pivotal in bringing him down.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What does 1-g-plus mean?
kY3bJZQ.png

looked all over the internet and couldnt find anything

Is that like Orwellian Newspeak? any amount of too much G is 1gplus?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What does 1-g-plus mean?
kY3bJZQ.png

looked all over the internet and couldnt find anything

Is that like Orwellian Newspeak? any amount of too much G is 1gplus?

G = Earth Gravity Normal.

Therefore 1-G-Plus the guy was at 3x Earth Gravity. Which is like being in a centrifuge and fucks with your blood pressure. So you blackout. I forget exactly how the system works its like NASA nomenclature.

Germans...

Khane

I took that line as using plus to describe more than the baseline.

"How many people do we need for it to be worth renting a limo?"
"5 plus"

Basically just more than 1G with no specification on amount over.